3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cant deal with my lack of hunting time!  (Read 734 times)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cant deal with my lack of hunting time!
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
***Merely a suggestion Jon***

Limited hunt time likely severely cuts down  scout and prep time.

Finding even greater enjoyment in enterpretting changing patterns establishing higher potential strategies for prime time may pay big dividends.

Many a season, some hunters(myself included) may spend well over 50% of their time, even during the season scouting,studying and strategizing for prime time. In my case, I may have four carefully selected and prepped set-ups established by prime time that I absolutely don't hunt until prime time. Stealthy entry and exit routes are established even though I have to walk an additional 30" out of my way.

It is quite possible to find yourself enjoying this part of the hunt plan being equal to and/or exceeding the fulfillment of the actual hunt. Have many times found myself hunting a perimeter stand which was not providing any additional future strategic information, since I was focused on prime time, and just tortured myself even though I was still seeing activity.

Several days of hunting both ideal location and timing may yield far more than a total season of hunts where constant prep time took a much lower priority.

Best of luck!!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
It could be worst.  I've got all the time off, can't work.  However due to medical reasons my legs hurt so much I can't even get out there to try and hunt.  Nothin' worst than havin' all the time ya want, but not bein' able to get out there and do it.  Frustratin' to say the least.  Between the pain and the drugs just can't seem to do anything that want to.
  If you can hunt be thankful, no matter how little time ya got.  Good luck, go get 'em.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Jon,

I used to hunt quite a bit as well and appreciate what little time I do get..My wife and I are near 50 years old and adopted two girls and about to adopt another so time right now is limited for me as well till they get a bit older...My last year hunt was only 3 or 4 sittings but I enjoyed what time I had and didn't get any shots what so ever...I try to go during the rut as much as possible and save what vacation is left from doing family vacations,Dr.appointments,school closing or daycare vacations for just a few days in the woods and appreciate those days ...I know what ya going through and jobs and family can have an effect on your time in the woods but do enjoy what little time you may have when you do go hunting...You have had some really great hunts and reflect on those and if you miss a season it's no big deal...I missed about 4 season's when I severed my right hand in a logsplitter but I got through it and I am thankful to God for letting me still be able to pull a string....I get to see other's success and it does bother me not being able to go just yet..I haven't been to a campsite with trad hunters since about 10 to 15 years ago or to any traditional gatherings like Baltimore Bowman,Denton Hill or any 3 -d shoots in a few years...I seem to go and help get the range cleaned up etc. but no time to really shoot except in my backyard here and there when my neighbors are gone from their weekend retreat next door...I got to go shoot with my girls around August 5th and enjoyed that day more then a hunt and one day after the hurricane "Irene" to help a friend clean up our range...I shot a few that day but wasn't quite into it for some reason or another but I did cherish those two times I had one with my girls and the other with a dear friend of mine...I feel your pain but the time will come when you do get the chance and you'll cherish every second of it....God Bless,
                                Keefer's <")))><

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Hey I feel for you. I dont understand some of the comments made, I was pretty sure we are all hunters here.  I love my family more than anything but right after them in priority is hunting. God first because he says so,  wife and children next, then hunting!  Nothing else to live for in my estimation.  I know the passion you feel and my advice to you while you are young is to evaluate your priorities and then take positive steps to make your dreams happen.  Make decisions regarding jobs and obligations that will provide you with the time you need to do what you want.  Do it now because before to long other obligations start creeping in and you are too far in to see your way out.  As a farm boy from ohio I had no idea the possibilities that existed. I would not still  be in ohio now let me tell you.  I would probably be a roughneck guiding somewhere in montana or wyoming.  I have let everyone of my boys know all of the possibilities that exist out there and that I am willing to help them realize those dreams anyway that I can so they do not look back and say " I should have ..."  Hindsight is twenty twenty,  make your decisions now to have the life you want later.  Peace,  FUDD

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Yeah responsibility!  I generally leave @ 4:20 am & get home @ 8pm. Have / had 110hr work weeks. With 7kids and. Beautiful better half I do what I have to.

Having said that I'm sitting in a treestand in th rain in Montana cause my BETTER HALF understands.  Yes i am a lucky man.

Jon I feel for you. It all works out!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Richard,
   You are supposed to be hunting not on Tradgang while in the woods! I wish I could one day just walk the grounds in Montana...It's bad when you are out in the wilderness and keeping up what's happening on Tradgang!   :laughing:

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Jon,you must think of it this way.Since you can't hunt this year.Those 140+'' 4 year old deer willbe 160+'' 5 year old deer next season because you didn't kill them!
Hope that helps

Offline Bob Abeln

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Hey Jon,
Sometimes it only takes one sitting in the right spot to connect. To me shooting any deer is a trophy with the stick. Wish you the best of luck when you get to hunt. Time is always the problem for everybody these days. This old world is going way to fast. Release your pressure and maybe harvest a doe. Those HORNS don't taste good anyway.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
enjoy the time you get and have a good time doing it, life can get more complicated as we get older.  

If you can get a CDL, your looking to work 2 weeks on with 1 wk off and make 80-100k you could always move to north dakota.

good luck and happy huntin!
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Until daylight savings, you might be able to get in the woods for the last hour n 15 minutes of shooting light. After that maybe you can go in the morning like previously stated. Also weekends can be ok if you are willing to walk further than the other guys. Stay with it and shoot straight!

Good luck!   :thumbsup:

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
John,

If I was young, and it was a "Perfect World", I would have Andy Ivy as my brother and be sharing in the type of lifestyle he's enjoying    :thumbsup:        :notworthy:    

As it is now, I'm retired and with a decent railroad retirement.  However, with the economy as it is, I'm back to taking care of a 40+ year old Step son and his family who has recently lost his job and has moved back in with us...

I'll trade you places... I'll gladly go back work and you can take over for me.  Hopefully at some point I'll be able to enjoy this retirement I have worked so many years for and get to enjoy it... I guess what I'm saying is it could be worse.    :(    

Gene     "[dntthnk]"
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
I would love to hunt more also and know how it is to spend all year waiting for this time of year and then not be able to do much.  I am in the same boat.  I work till aftef 6 now 4 days. Lost my close tthe house spot for quick hunts.  Kid with Saturday sport, and a wife in school with hard schedule to finish up her degree this fall.  I had a delay in big project schedule and now it just took out my main hunting vacation this year.  I have a boy's group this year on Wednesday night and teaching Sunday school.  i had a 4 day shot to hunt this next week with the wife gone and kids at the grand parents. Now the grand parents had to go out of town and the back up didn't work out. There goes my hunt.  So far I have been out for three sets and seen zero deer in bow season.  I am very happy to have my family and a good job in these times. Life is good, but the hunting is not at leat not so far this year.  I may get out tonight. It should be a cool 80 when I head out.  If I shoot a deer I will be up very late getting it home and cut up for the cooler and then kids to teach tomorrow morning.  I should stay home. But I am going hunting and going to enjoy it!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
be thankful you can hunt weekends...right now im with my son in a navy hosp after he stepped on an IED.
No season for me or him for a long time. he tells me he is so sorry i have to miss deer season.

We are all blessed to be able to hunt when we can.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
I understand Jon's passion and his frustration.  I also know most of these comments are speaking truth - that we all should be content and thankful whereever we are in life (I think the Bible tells us that!).  I know this - life is hard - and it doesn't seem to get easier the older I get - so I'm trying my best to squelch the frustrations and selfishness that is so prevelent in my life and be thankful for each and every day and the things God allows me to partake of that day.  Every day I spend chasing whitetails is a true blessing!
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
The river industry needs people badly. I can get you a job as a deckhand on a towboat. 28 days on 28 days off. Before I became a Captain I worked all winter and summer then took off October through the end of November every year. I usually shot a nice buck and I still got a check every two weeks. I also took off April and May to turkey hunt and fish.
    Now I work in the harbor with a 4 days on 4 off schedule with 2 weeks vacation. Not a bad gig either for an outdoorsman.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
I'm sorry if you feel that some came down on you a little hard. (maybe so)

But truthfully you are blessed if you take a little time and think it through.

We all have so much to be thankful for. There isn't anything that's as bad as it could be.

Keep your chin up, go hunt as often as you can and thank God that you can enjoy what He has made for us!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
Believe it our not it gets harder sometimes to find time to hunt the older you get. I've been retired 4 years and last year it was three months getting my mother's house ready to sell, selling it and getting her into an independent living facility during the months of October, November, December. Also jury duty during mid October.

I thought this would be the year but alas she has had a set back and is now in the care facility hoping to get back to her apartment. It's constant visits and tending to her financial health since I'm her power of atty and only local child.

I also work a part time job where the boss thinks I'm full time.

I hunted last evening and this morning for the first time this season and relished the moments.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
Jon, I read your post as simply saying you wished you had more time to hunt...and frankly am surprised a couple guys came down on you so hard.  (And I'm guessing deep down, they too wish they could hunt more).  

I get to hunt a lot and I still want to hunt more.  What's bad about that?  I didn't hear you say you were shirking other duties, so don't understand the animosity.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Hey guys...I never took any of the posts as being negative.  Sounds like lots of us are in the same boat.  Makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one.  I hope everyone has the best season of their lives!  Good luck out there...and have fun!
I know I will!

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©