3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Handshock"... need some honest help  (Read 1061 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Handshock"... need some honest help
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
Some shooters are more sensitive to handshock than others. I have shot bows other people swear have zero handshock, but I felt still had some. Everyone is different, but my results for less handshock are;

1. Bows with heavy risers.
2. Bows requiring higher brace height.
3. Bows with an ergonomic grip like a low to medium grip. (recurve or longbow)
4. Shoot a good heavy arrow

This is what helps me with my pain issues as related to handshock regarding my elbow problems.

I pm'ed you the same info.

These are just my opinions and others may have different experiences.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Admire your persistence in working with the longbow, I do think longbows are special and more fun to shoot. Sounds to me that the problem is with your unjury. The guys above have some things to try. Hope they work.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Lots of good longbows with recurve grips that have no handshock. If you are talking Hill style LBs, well never shot one without handshock!! Shawn
Shawn hit the "nail on the head".   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
I was a recurve only shooter for years and wanted to make the switch to longbow, just to compete against some new people at the 3ds. I tried longbows for probably eight years and kept going back to recurve as I have a very sensitive elbow after an injury. I now shoot 80% longbow with no issues, it all came down to finding the right bow with the right arrow. And Yes I too tried many bows that guys said had no hand shock and I felt lots. Now I own longbows that have less vibration then my recurves.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Wow, just got home from my first helicopter flight and was astounded by all the resonses and pm's. Will get to all of them, I really appreciate all the info.
I do shoot with a high grip, and normally barely hold the bow at all. Makes sense, combined with the very light weight, small risered longbows I've been trying. Have not tried shooting my heavy Grizzly Stiks out of them, nor have I tried adding mass weight with bow quiver , etc.
Glad I asked everyone. Many thanks!
David M. Conroy

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Winterhawk1960:

Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Lots of good longbows with recurve grips that have no handshock. If you are talking Hill style LBs, well never shot one without handshock!! Shawn
Shawn hit the "nail on the head".    :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:  

Winterhawk1960 [/b]
Then neither of you know how to hold one!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Sorry....just my opinion and I should keep it to myself!   :notworthy:    :goldtooth:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Ron, no I do and I have shot them plenty. I have a bud that is the best shot I know who shoots Hill bows and he will tell you even with a heavy arrow and the proper grip there is no way around it, they have hand shock. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. Shawn
Shawn

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
Hill bows do have a "bump" at the shot ... no getting away from the fact . Having said that , they are all I shoot.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Mine don't!! The worst hand shock I ever felt was from a longbow with a recurve style grip. I put it on a belt sander, gave it a low grip, raised the brace and shot a 650 GR. arrow and it all went away. My Hill Halfbreed is as smooth and shock free as I have ever seen........again just my opinion...from experience. A bit of a bump and hand shock are 2 different things.....I think all bows have a bump at the shot. Hand shock hurts!!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
I have shot some that had hand shock.  I call hand shock what I feel when I hit say a tree with a ball bat or something like that.  You know when your hand actually hurts or stings from shooting it.  Most of the D LB's I have shot have more what I would call thump or forward thrust.  Doesn’t bother my hand, but can cause some issues with my elbow.  The best one piece D shaped bow I have shot is the Two Tracks followed by the Tall Tines.  Now if you define hybrids as long bows, there are a lot of them that are very mild to shoot.  My ACS is real nice to shoot as is my Hill Country.  My Hill Country is deader in the hand than any other bow I have ever had including heavy riser recurves.  Once set up, and gripped right a lot of the ones that thump some smooth out after you get used to shooting them.  You adjust somehow to it after a while.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
A lighter string can also take the thump out of a longbow. My Mahaska was a pretty good thumper with B50 12-14 strand string. I put on a 10 strand D97 string, padded to 16 strands in the loops and served with wool yarn in the loops. Not there is no hand shock. The lighter weight and lower stretch put more energy into the arrow instead of the bow.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
I've noticed handshock with the wooden 3 piece wood longbows I've had. I don't notice it at all with a metal risered Ilf longbow. Best setup to date is a TAC firefly with dryad epic limbs. Very similar to a recurve in feel.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 01:21:00 AM »
There are a couple of things that make a bow that is relatively shock free.
1. Light limbs and tips.
2. Perfect limb timing adjusted tiller to your sty;e shooting.
3. not only decent riser weight (physical) but riser stifness.
My suggestion if you want a super smooth , shcckless longbow is to get a double carbon, foam core,with a recurve grip , i beam style riser and medium to heavy d and r limb profile. I build that kind of bow, several others build that kind of bow. I believe Morrison may, I know Kirk at Bigfoot bows does and I believe Zipper does. Check with the guys on this site and they will tell you. for smothness and light shock you have to have light weight limbs that are timed and tillered correctly. That is the main key.
If you are comfortable with the recurve style grip I am sure a good bowyer can copy even the grip you are using,. '
Thats my take on it, God bless you and good luck, Steve

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 02:21:00 AM »
guys who shoot Hill style longbows and claim that they do not have harsh hand shock with dacron strings, have certain things in common most of the time. They heal the bow a bit, they shoot split finger with the 1/8 to 3/16" above 90 degrees, they have a slightly bent bow arm, and they develop a timing of sorts that allows their bow arm and bow shoulder to ride with the thump of the bow. However, they all have experienced bows that are heavier limbed or bows that are out of time that thump harder than their favorite bows. A lot of longbows do not like to be shot bone on bone, as it is called now days. I think a straight armed shooting style with a pistol grip is fine on a hybrid or a recurve and if that is how one prefers to shoot, why fight it with a Hill style longbow? Just shoot what fits your style, there is nothing wrong with matching your equipment to your shooting style.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
there can be no difference in holding a recurve or longbow handle.  it's up to your bow hand grip.

i offer this for consideration ...

do not fully grip the longbow's handle.  do the same as you'd do with a recurve.  do not use a tight grip.  allow only the web and flesh of your bow hand to contact the longbow's handle - doesn't matter if the handle is straight, dished or locator style.  this will float the grip and allow minimal contact between your bow hand and the bow's handle.

if you slightly angle the bow hand, you will also have much better bowstring clearance, most clearance versus least clearance ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
Rob, great pics, they are worth a thousand words....

I may be a longbow novice, however I have not noted any hand shock with the longbows I've owned. I do however always have a bow quiver on for the convenience and little added mass weight.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 07:20:00 AM »
also, ALL bets are off if lightweight arrows are used.  9gpp minimum, 10gpp and heavier mo' bettah.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :campfire:
David M. Conroy

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
Bent elbow. A "decent" to "good" amount of bend. Trying to max out your draw length with a, for the most part, a straight arm, is a recipe for disaster.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©