3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting rhythm  (Read 259 times)

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting rhythm
« on: October 10, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
I watched video of Terry and Charlie on the video forum and was amazed at how smooth and effortless their form appears. Was also impressed with how quickly they find target and loose the arrow.

I'm still developing my shooting style and find that I hold much longer, probably too long. I don't use a conscious aiming system, but it still takes a long time to "get on target".

My longer hold inhibits the amount of draw weight I can handle.

How can I reduce the time it takes to get on target? Are they doing their aiming as they draw?
TOBY

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting rhythm
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
Stare at the target.

Stare at the spent you want your arrow to go in that target.

Then stare at a microfiber in the target you plan to hit.

Only then, while staring at your target, raise your bow to point where you want the arrow to go. Your brain will begin the process of "aiming".

Draw, anchor, back tension and release. Its quick and the more you trust your instincts the easier it gets.

Having a spot picked out well before you even raise the bow is the key to instinctive shooting.
Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
You often hear how it's all in the form. That's only a part of it. Dave hit it pretty much on the head. Concentration is a BIG part of it.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
You have to remember,you are watching guys who have been doing this for decades and have it down.

There are far more people who shoot too fast,having not developed all the elements of good form,than the reverse.

Trying to force that speed might be the worse thing you can do for yourself.Developing all the aspects of a good shot are more important now and I believe as it becomes ingrained,the shot can be made in less time if you choose.I think that will come naturally to you and you should let that come when it does.

I used to shoot fairly fast but now when practicing,I take a second or two to concentrate on whatever form aspect I'm working,before release.In the field,I let the situation dictate.If I need to shoot fast I can.Some situations require a very slow draw.Sometimes in the blind,with an animal close,I have to draw,away from the shooting window and slowly ease the bow to the window and release.I practice them all.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Speed is about reps, IMHO.  Terry and Charlie have the ability to zero in on target instantly.  That's a big advantage in the field.  It's also one I don't think you can rush into without making your form worse instead of better.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Yep, slow down. 2-3 seconds of zeroing in before I even raise my bow helps me immensely.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
Sound advice, thanks for your thoughts.
TOBY

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
I am sure if you contacted Terry and Charlie they would tell you exactly how they shoot. I think they would not mind helping you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©