3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how do i keep my arrow from falling off rest?  (Read 564 times)

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
how do i keep my arrow from falling off rest?
« on: October 10, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
I have tried the stick on arrow holder that you put on the opposite side of the riser and wrap around and put the rubber 3/4 circle aground the arrow, but my gt 3555 slips through it when I draw. It doesn't pop off like it is supposed to then spring back out of the way for the shot.

I probably just put it on wrong, but I can't take a pic and sows everyone, because I ripped it off on my way into the woods the other day.

I guess im looking for advise on what product to buy to prevent my arrows from falling off?       :help:

Offline Thebear_78

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how do i keep my arrow from falling off rest?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
best one I have ever found was my left pointer finger.

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Yea I guess that would work pretty good. Plus it isn't gona get torn off while walking into the woods. Hopefully!!!

Offline rmcpb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Sometimes simpler is best  :)

The pointer finger works for me as well.
Cheers
Rob Browne

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
Are you talking about while you are sitting on stand or during the draw?
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
While sitting on my stand while it is hanging on my bow hanger. I have lost 2 arrows to wind and one I bumped my bow and bombs away arrow to the ground lol

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
I shoot 3555's and 5575's no problems with this arrow holder, I have them on 4 of the bows I have now and have had one on a dozen I used to have. I think it's called "kwik lok".. 3 Rivers, Black Widow and Big Jim all carry them      

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
I drill a tiny hole in the back of the riser on all my bows, glue in an 1/8-1/4" pin(I use a piece of coat hanger)  Get yourself a lifetime supply of tiny hair tie rubber bands at wally world.  Hook the band onto the pin, wrap it around your arrow and back to the pin.  Fool proof and when you draw the bow it falls away.  

Many do not want to put one on there bow but I use my bows as a tool and it works perfectly.  It is also nearly undetectable and will not effect the riser in any way.

if you email me I will send you pics.

[email protected]

Bob Urban

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
I have tried all of these arrow grabbers and they have not always worked the way they are supposed to. I like the bow across the lap with an arrow on the string with my hand on the bow and my finger on the arrow trick. Never fails.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Bobby, email sent

I'm curious about this as well. I like my hands in my pockets while on stand.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
Lean your bow over to the side.  Also, check your grip.  Might be torquing the sting.  Mainly though, cant your bow some.  And shoot off the shelf/finger.  Not as much to go wrong.
Silence is golden.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 05:38:00 AM »
OK - here it is on a BigHorn GS, a Northern Mist Whisper and a Great Northern Ghost.  I do this to all my bows before I ever shoot them.  It is just part of a finished bow for me and I know many would think it sacralige to drill into their riser but, like I said, my bows are hunting tools.  For me this is no different than adding a quiver or string silencers.  Mount it equal to or just slightly below the shelf so the rubber band pulls the arrow into the corner.  Works sweet and is fool proof.  

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »
Bobby you talked me into this....I'm gonna go drill my Hoyt Buffalo for one of these!! Been thinking about it anyways but I have bumped my bow to many times getting it off the hook and dropped my arrow or just knocked it off the shelf.

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 06:14:00 AM »
Mine is similar to the one pictured above except, instead of a pin, I velcro a flat piece of wood to the side of the riser.
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Well, you all have talked me into it.

Thanks, Steve

Offline freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
I don't know how durable it would be, but how about mounting a pin like Bobby does into a small base and gluing it to the riser with contact cement? It would be removable and not require drilling on your bow.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Genius idea thanks. Now wheres my drill.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Don't drill!  You can use a 1/8" diameter stick about 3" long.  Attach a single rubber band to each end.  Use one to hold the stick on the opposite side of your arrow shelf.  Use the other rubber band to hold the arrow onto the shelf.  It's free, it's removable and it works!

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »
eflanders, can you post a picture, I have done what you are descibing but it took me many year to understand untill I saw the picture.
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
JMO and I understand those that don't want to drill into their bow but it is just a little tiny hole and the pin only needs to be an 1/8" or so.  If you do a nice job it is almost undetectable.  I never sell bows so I don't worry about that but if I needed to I am certain I could remove the pin and fill the hole so that it was undetectable.  

I just feel the more I add glue on, tape on, rubberband on parts the more that could fail at a critical moment it the woods.  

Not knocking anyone's design because there are many ways to skin a cat but seriously, how many take their arrow holder off after the season?  

Regarding eflanders holder - a larger, strong rubberband goes around the riser in the arrow rest area holding a pin or stick to the back side(right side for a RH shooter) that extends beyond the riser in the back/belly.  This extended pin is what your hair tie connects to that holds your arrow.  Very effective but for me this adds too much to my arrow shelf and leaves to many options for failure to come into play.  It also moves the holding band farther away from the arrow on a large/thick riser bow.  Again, JMO. Although I take care of my equipment and have some bows that are/were costly to aquire I still feel they ultimately are tools for my goal of hunting sucess and a bow is not finished until it has the pin.  

Keep em sharp -

Bob Urban

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©