3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What questions to ask when you buy a new bow???  (Read 304 times)

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
What questions to ask when you buy a new bow???
« on: October 10, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Hi all,

I am writing this to solicit input from all you bowaholics.  I am in the process of saving for a new bow and almost have  enough funds together to start the process.  

What I need to know is what sort of questions do i need to pose to bowyers in order to get the best information to and from them concerning a new bow purchase.  

It really seems like most people get so caught up in the wood choices, which is cool, but there has to be more to buying and new bow.  So what are some things that you have learned along the way when purchasing custom bows???

Caleb
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What questions to ask when you buy a new bow???
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Ask if you can get the grip you want, meaning can you send a handle or bow and have the grip copied? How long is the actual wait, not well it could be 6-8 months and it turn into over a year. What is their warranty and do they stand by it? If you have never shot one of their bows, see if they have a try before you buy program or at least a loaner bow? Shawn
Shawn

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
An important question might be for yourself: what kind of experience are you looking for when ordering a custom bow from a bowyer.

The first bow I tried to order I did not understand that I also wanted to be able to ask the bowyer a lot of questions about how and why he made his bows the way he did. The one I picked, who made fine bows, felt all this banter was a lot of hassle. I found out later he felt very put upon. Not my intention, he is just a very private loner kind of guy. It was a much better fit when I went with one who didn't mind some back and forth about limb design and stuff.
I was happy and so was he and the bow he made was better IMO for the pleasant experience- nobody wants to shoot a bow made under a cloud.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
For me it's the grip,it has to fit my hand.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
I would add that the type of grip is also importent with your style of shooting, low, medium, high wrist, closed or open hand etc...
If I can ask, whom are you buying from?

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
Anything you want to ask. My customers are also my friends. I don't mind one bit about going into minute detail about the bow you are getting. When all things are settled I ask my customer to email me what he understands is the agreement. Then we both have a permanent copy of exacly what the details are. I also allow changes as long as I have not completed that part of the project or bought special woods that the customer has decided he does not want. I will even do that if I have it in stock or he is willing to pay for the new wood. Whatever it takes to make sure the customer knows what he is getting and then is happy with the finished product.
One thing I would suggest is that the bowyer supply you with some names of customers that you can contact. I would not put up with a bowyer that does not meet deadlines unless he contacts you and has a reasonable reason and you agree to wait the time he needs.

God bless and good luck, Steve

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
Good suggestions; I would add if he is not a sponsor here forget it.  And do a search for feedback from other customers and to find out what to expect. We all work hard for our bucks these days-bowyers do too-and we all deserve a great experience.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
Caleb, the best advice beside what has been posted is to Take your time. Figure out what you want in a bow and write it down, think it thru. Look at as many bows and bowyers as you can and start eliminating them, according to what you want. Do most of your research thru email,save phone calls till last. Specify and communicate what you want to the bowyer, and be sure he understands. Don't limit yourself to just a few bowyers, research all of them that you chose, references, on TG, anyplace you can get info. I take usually 3 months to do just the research sometimes but have only had problems with 1 bowyer so far. In the end its on you as you are the one who lives with it so do the homework.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
This is what I wish customers would ask...

What do you think about my choice of riser, limbs etc...

What are the pros and cons of bow length?

My drawlength is very short/long can you build me a bow to maximize efficiency.

I'm a lousy shot with a shotgun, can I expect the same with a longbow?  

Here is the catch all.. Ask me anything, if I don't know the answer I can find it.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
I'm not a boyer, but have talked to a few. They have hot and cold times. I would ask what might be a good time to visit if that's feasible. I drove nearly a whole day to spend some very enjoyable time with one. We shot everything he had in his shop - those for sale and those that weren't. That wouldn't have worked when he had work stacked to the ceiling. I came away with an appreciation for his style, his ideas on limb form and the feeling he understood very well what grip I liked. I'm waiting anxiously for my bow because I feel like it's already a part of me.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
ask thebowyer , whats youer favorite bow , you like to build, FF strings,,,number of pounds per inch of draw... :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
How much is it gonna be!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
I always ask a custom bowyer if he can slim the grip down because I have small hands. I also ask if he measures the bow's poundage at the front of the shelf (furthest away from me). I ask him if this is where he measures draw length too. The last thing I ask him is where he measures the brace height (deepest part of the grip). I want to make sure the bowyer and I are on the same page.    :thumbsup:
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
At THAT price, can I get a t shirt thrown in?   Just kiddin' bowyers, you deserve what you charge for sure.
David M. Conroy

Offline highplains55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
i always like to know what thickness of glass he uses,some bowyers use thicker glass so they have less core which adds to handshock, in some bows ive seen two different gauges of glass for the belly and then the back.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
If you have shot a bow you liked and are getting one made do all you can to verify the grip, center cut and anything else you want specific.  Take measurements and send the bow if you can.  Don’t count on standard being the same from bow to bow even if you give the boyer a SS number of a bow you like and ask to have one made just like it.   I have done that only to get a totally different grip size.  The last two bows I had built both came with different center cuts than standard and than all the other bows of the same type I had shot right off the boyers rack at shows.  One was a change to standard center cut between when I ordered the bow and it was made.  This happened without notice and I ended up with a much wider shelf than I wanted and a bow that wouldn’t shoot my standard spine arrow shaft.  

Ask if your name on the bow is standard and then state what you want in your order.  I don't want my name on a bow, but end up with it most times anyway even when it is not standard to put a name on, and I asked not to have it on the bow.
Ask how they measure the weight on the bow.  Then take a bow with the weight you like and measure the same way, or better yet take the bow or send the bow to the boyer and have him measure it to see what weight he gets.  I had a bow within the two pound range the boyer guaranteed and it measured that way on his scale the way he had it calibrated, but was 7# off every other scale I put it on.  

You have to expect some variation in a true custom bow, but I am starting to like mass produced bows and bows that have some CNC rough out more and more because when I shoot a standard one and like it, I get one just like it.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
Thanks for the input everybody.  Lots of good info here and some good things I would have never thought of.  Specifically I am looking for a one piece recurve to be used for hunting.  I have a 29.5 inch draw and am looking for something in the 50-55 lbs range.  I would like a bow with a little bit shorter AMO length, something in the 54-58 inch range if that is possible.  Currently I shoot a Chekmate Hunter II.  I really like the bow but feel like it is time to move on to something different.  Right now, my short list is a RER Arroyo or a Black Mountain product but I have had a hard time getting in touch with Brent via the email.  I am looking to spend 500-700 dollars and am most interested in accuracy and stability.

I am totally open to any other suggestions that folks might have.

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©