3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about a time you DIDN'T pick a spot...  (Read 876 times)

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell me about a time you DIDN'T pick a spot...
« on: October 11, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
I just read a thread about a hunter forgetting to pick a spot. That got me thinking about the time last year I didn't pick a spot.

Last year was my first year all out trad. It was the second week in November(opening weekend for pheasant in KS) and I was hunting some public ground. My plan was to set up along an edge of a picked corn field that deer have been hanging out in. I was just to the edge of the field and looked down a drainage and saw a buck running at me. So I hopped the ditch and hid behind some "tall" grass, about two foot high. The trail he was coming down was going to give me about a 3 yard shot! I got ready and when he was 50 yards he did  a 90 degree turn away from me then turn another 90 to be broad side to me. So he's walking at 20-25 yards. I get a good look at his rack, he's a 150-160 class 9 point whitetail. I look behind his shoulder and draw... The next thought that entered my mind was, Wow I can't believe he didn't see me draw. Then the arrow was gone. I DIDN'T pick a spot and the arrow went right below him. If it was 5 inches higher would have been right to his heart. Still keeps me up at night    :knothead:  

So that's my story of a time I didn't pick a spot. Tell me yours so we let "newbies" (like myself) know how important it is to pick a spot!    :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about a time you DIDN'T pick a spot...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
I don't have the time or space for all the times I haven't picked a spot  :banghead:   :rolleyes:  . 10 yards from a 5 point bull elk, hit the tree in front of him. 20 yards from a 26 in 170 class muley, shot under him. Those are just a couple examples of the many.

Not picking a spot is my nemisis on game. Gotta keep working at it. I think it helps to be able to shoot or shoot at several animals a year.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
Opening day this year had a doe at 24 steps and shot right over her. I looked at the whole deer instead of picking a spot lol
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
What do you mean "The time"?

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
4 years ago, had 14 tradgangers hunting with me. i took the stand on top of the mountain. had a doe at 5 yards and shot over her back, yup dodn't pick a spot! was amazed she walked so close!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ted Fry:
What do you mean "The time"?
Yes sir this is the category that I belong in...lol

For Killie... This is the category in which I belong...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
The great admins here don't want us to talk about wounded animals which I agree with. So sorry I can't tell you.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
I never pick a spot. A lot of times it is just too dusky to even pick a spot. If you rely on the ability to pick a spot the best 20 min. of the hunt are lost. But I train those shots and automatically hit the zone by just seeing the silhouette. Because a lot of time, this is the only thing you can really see within the last 15-20 minutes of legal shooting time.
I train that in the same light conditions as I later hunt, just the last 30min before dark.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Mrs pick for me when I don't pick a spot.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
I have been lucky that the last few years i have always picked a spot. Once I do see an animal I say to myself "pick a spot" and start to look just at that spot as they come in. So far it has worked for me but I'm sure I'll make a mistake sooner or later.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Last week Thursday,I scared a Coyote when the spot didn't get picked and the arrow ruffled the hair on his back. I needed that lesson for hopefully later this season.Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Good one Ted  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
...there was the one time I had 6 bucks(small to large) following a hot doe in singlr file. As they streamed past my stand I shot over the first bucks back...then over the second bucks back...then over the third bucks back. At that point I was out of arrows. I climbed down out of my stand, recovered all 3 arrows, climbed back up and proceeded to replay my first 3 attempts. Six misses in less than 5 minutes, none of which I picked a spot.
  On my first ever trad bow hunt I had a nice buck come out broadside at about 10 yards. I shot right over his back and sunk the arrow in a large pine. I nocked another arrow and missed him again after he walked about 10 yards and again after after he walked another 10 yards.
  Both of these hunts happened many years ago in coastal SC where I lived. I wish the deer would have stayed that dumb over the years and would give me another chance. d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I was hiding in a thicket with a compounder friend when a bunch of Hogs came by.............they slowed right in front of us about 10 feet away. We both shot and we both missed!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
Hmmm Blonde black bear three times one night. I guess i was a little excited.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
I will just say it's happened more times than I would like to admit, 18 years with a stick maybe once +, a season ? Todd

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Had a group of 12 piglets come in and vacuum up corn at a feeder while hunting in Texas. They were swirling around over the top of each other like a school of carp. Well, in stead of picking one out I shot amongst the flock and of course missed them all. As my buddy said when I explained to him what happened, "Yep, you shot just what you were looking at The State of Texas". LOL
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
The great admins here don't want us to talk about wounded animals which I agree with. So sorry I can't tell you.
This explains my deleted post yesterday.  While I understand (I think) why they discourage posting about wounded animals, the truth is, it does happen.  I'd venture to guess it happens to "the best of us."

As for not picking a spot, last year I shot just over a doe at 12 yards.  She and the yearling jumped and turned around to look at my arrow when it thumped into the dirt.  The yearling actually crept up and sniffed the nock.  By the time I could ease another arrow out of the quiver, mama decided not to stick around and the young one followed.
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Had a coon eating dog food in the back yard this summer. I sat up late and had my brother turn on the porch light for me. First time I waited I shot right over him, didn't pick a spot. The next time he came around I picked a spot and skewered him.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
Nice 10 pointer still roamig the woods because I didn't.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©