3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about a time you DIDN'T pick a spot...  (Read 878 times)

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about a time you DIDN'T pick a spot...
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
Their's to many for me to remember.

LOL
Doug77

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
I missed a broadside moose at 15 yards does that count?  I've always struggled with picking a spot, shooting small game is great training for "spot picking."

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
This happended at Tejon Ranch California in May 2011. I had just had a encounter with some hogs and then the rest of the story....

So after i get the smile wiped off my face i start back up the canyon wall to get back to my glassing point. One thing about Tejon Ranch, your legs better be in shape and have a good pair of boots on the end of them because you will climb your but off but this place is classic California hog ground and beautiful to boot. I make it back to my sitting spot and catch my breath, i start to look around and i hear a sound like a piglet grunting but it’s so faint I’m not sure. You know how when your sitting there and your senses are 110% turned on, Birds in the brush sound like deer, squirrels sound like big bucks running through the leaves and every thing sounds like a big boar hog. Then about that time i can make out the sound of acorns crunching and then a loud grunt, no guessing now its hogs and they are close. They’re above me and to my right. I make about 15 yards and there they are about 30 yards out and feeding under a big oak. There are about 15 and some footballs also. There’s a big tree about 15 yards from them and its forked starting at the ground, if i can get to that i can shoot between the two main trunks. I cover the distance in about ten mins, I’m on my hands an knees, i get an arrow nocked and stand up slow, just as i get upright a nice boar about 150# sees the movement and does something no other hog has done to me before, he comes on a dead run right to me, he covered that 15 yards in a flash and stops about 4 to 5 feet from me and there we are staring at each other. For about 4 or 5 seconds I’m watching the hair in his nostrils going back and forth as he breaths. This wasn’t a charge, i could just tell, his body language had no malice to it. But after about 5 seconds he pealed off in a circle trying to get down wind to find out what i was, he stopped before he hit my sent and stood broad side at about 18 to 20 yards, i drew back and released in one not so fluid motion and this damb hog had me so flustered and shaken by the way he came running into me that i did not concentrate on the shot or pick a spot, i just shot at the hole hog and the arrow passed right over his back, 3" high. At the sound of the shot all the rest of the hogs start to move, i take a deep breath, get an arrow nocked as they are all coming by me but the only shots i had were at wet sows. Once they were gone i sat down and laugh out load at my self.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
mine always sail right over the back......great alighnment right behind the leg but right over the back...........also at least once a year................
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I tend to tell myself "pick a spot...pick a spot...pick a spot" when I believe that I'm about to get a shot at an amimal.  Then when the animal gets in range and into position- it seems the longer the shot, the more I take my time and actually DO pick a spot.  
On the other hand, on shots inside 15 yards I can pretty much guarantee that I will forget my "pickaspot mantra" and shoot at the "area" behind the front leg.  It's like a disease.  I make way more poor shots in close than I ever do on longer ones.  Every year I tell myself I'll break this habit....I will this year "for sure".
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
I always pick a spot. Just not nearly small enough one a lot of times (whole deer). I can't see half good enough to pick one hair like some say, so I try to make myself double check my aim before releasing. I always have to lower down to get my aim behind the elbow..if deer is in that position.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
So a miss means someone did not "pick a spot"?

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
Went to Texas last December to my friends ranch. He's dropping me off at a water hole with orders to shoot any hog that comes by, he also says don't get your hopes up on seeing a coyote let alone getting one with a bow. He goes on and says, he's been on the ranch for 64 years and he's only seen two and only got a shot with his 30-30 and missed. I say O.K. I'll lookout for hogs then.

Just after the sun set and light started playing tricks on my old eyes, in comes running what I thought was a fox, but then realized it's a coyote, well in comes so close I could have hit it over the head with the bow, and it never see's me even though it looks passed me twice, It then runs off in a arch and gives me a perfect broadside at about 16-18 yds., and I didn't pick a spot, came so close that I saw the fur on it's back get ruffled by the arrow going over it.

Sure hope I don't do that again.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
damn...i just started sleeping again  :banghead:  stupid post...

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
I didn't pick a spot, Sunday afternoon twice!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Theres no room on this thread.Last weak was the last time .Looking at its eyes the whole time ,dang coyote.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Oh You mean the time I missed the 8 point twice that I snuck up on at 15 yards as he was making a rub.

Once over his back and once under his belly. LOL

Offline Longbow Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
First Deer I ever shot at or even had in range of me with my Longbow a really nice 8 point comes walking by at 10 maybe 12 yards as im held up under a low hanging cedar tree with me thinking how lucky can I be How could I miss?? I draw,release arrow goes just over his back.

I looked at the hole deer never picked a spot   :banghead:  I was so mad at myself you would'nt belive, But after seeing as that I wasent the only one made me feel a weee bit better   ;)   Hahahaa
Death Before Dinner.  God is my camera man.   I Love Motorcycles and I Love Bow Hunting But I don't Mix The two I don't put wheels on my Bows

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
The first time bowhunting had a doe at 15 yards uphill from a kneeling position,shot over her back,didn't pic a spot just shot,she just looked my way and  trotted off.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 02:07:00 AM »
Hunting Mulies during the rut, just missed one, then another stops 25 yds. uphill, behind and between two large Pine trees,   :banghead:  drilled the tree.  :archer2:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by tecum-tha:
I never pick a spot. A lot of times it is just too dusky to even pick a spot. If you rely on the ability to pick a spot the best 20 min. of the hunt are lost. But I train those shots and automatically hit the zone by just seeing the silhouette. Because a lot of time, this is the only thing you can really see within the last 15-20 minutes of legal shooting time.
I train that in the same light conditions as I later hunt, just the last 30min before dark.
Seriously? If I can't pick a spot due to darkness, I quit hunting.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
My most spectacular miss was because I picked the WRONG spot. Hunting off the ground, a lunker 10 pointer came down the trail between me and a corn field....maybe 15 yards. I was so enamored with his antlers, thats where my arrow landed. He spun as the arrow hit his rack and flung the shaft into the corn. There is a possibility that I used foul language as he departed.....  :knothead:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
Bear hunting this year, shot over him and it the barrel and the outfitter wouldn't let me take the barrel to the taxidermist. DIDN'T PICK A SPOT
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
First buck I ever shot at with my longbow. I think the arrow went 3 feet behind him. Talk about losing concentration!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I am not telling on my worst it hurts too much.It was about 4 years ago.Kip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©