3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: washing wool fabric/clothes  (Read 360 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
washing wool fabric/clothes
« on: October 11, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
one of my filson jackets and a Johnson wool jacket both say dry clean only on the washing label,,,, I cannot have these shrink down from the size they are now and I'm wondering a couple things about dry cleaning that the girl at the counter may not be able to answer.

does dry cleaning shrink the wool & does dry cleaning leave a smell.

if yes to anything I know a few of you out there wear Wool so what do you do to clean it (or like waxed tin cloth you just dont)
"Us vs Them"

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: washing wool fabric/clothes
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
Wool can be washed but do not put it in a clothes dryer. Lay it out flat on a towel to dry at room temp. If the label says "dry clean only", then by all means, dry clean only. Most cleaners used in dry cleaning do leave an slight odor. After cleaning simply hang them out in the open air for a while until the odor dissipates.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
Don't even waste you time or money. Even if you were hanging out in a cigar smoke filled bar for the night, take your coat, put it in a trash bag, place an open container of A&H Baking Soda in the bag with the clothes, tie it up and let it sit for 24-36 hrs. Take it and enjoy your scent free coat.
PS. Do Not Dump the baking soda in the bag, just open the box and place it in there.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
I stopped cleaning my wool years ago. I just put it out to air out and it is fine. If it gets dirty I let dry and brush off the dirt and maybe hit it with a damp cloth to clean.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
If you decide to get it dry cleaned, it is worth asking them to go light on the cleaning fluid and get an extra rinse--it doesn't smell as strong when they do that for you. Then air it out for several days, at least.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
I was thinking about buying a bag of red cedar shavings they sell at Walmart for animal bedding and putting my hunting clothes in a big trash bag with them...wool included. I've use the cedar for tumbling turkey pelts for taxidermy purposes and it's good cedar..with strong smell.

Anybody tried this?

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
I have a lot of wool, and some Filson shirts that I wash myself, by hand with a special soap like "Zero", made to wash delicat items. And after that I wrink it and place it on a large towel and role it tight, unrole and lay flat to dry on an dry towel. It worked great so far...

Some Of the wool I have, like Icebreaker and woolrich(wool blend), I wash in the washer in cold water and hang to dry and never had any problems!!

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
Hoyt I use fresh cut cedar limbs and put all my hunting clothes in there. Been doing it for years. There are cedars everywhere I hunt. It may not fool a whitetails nose but it smells good and it gives me more confidence.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
Woolite....Or sport wash and don't dry it. I sport wash / scent killer soap my KUIU and hang dry the merino on fat hangers so the shoulders don't deform.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline oops sorry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
My dad's business was Drycleaning. Back in the 60's wool suits were FAR more commonly worn and cost a big piece of a working person's paycheck. There are some things that are simply not soluble in perchloroethylene drycleaning solvent. We very carefully washed a hell of a lot of suits with good result. You have to watch the drying process and avoid heat. Woolite is actually quite harsh and I recommend a mild detergent like shampoo. A very good purpose made detergent for washing wool is "Kookabura Wool Wash". I wear wool slacks to work and they are always washed (cold/gentle cycle). Now that I don't own a drycleaners it's too #$!@@ expensive.

Offline DDyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
I've always washed my Johnson coats. Sport wash and cold water.Pendleton wool shirts too,never had any Filson.Don't put them in the dryer just let them dry on the clothesline.
were it worth the trouble? Huh? What trouble?

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
unless I fall in a mud hole(yes, I have) I dont wash My wool just brush it off. if you do wash it in cold water make sure you dont use a detergent with brighteners.

These brighteners increase the reflection of ultraviolet light. Reseach says deer can see this. I believe it is responsible for many stories of a deers sixth sense, looking right at you when you thought you were well concealed.

God Bless
Buck

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
ALRIGHT!  thanks for the info on this..  what stinks is when I bought the coat I also had a bottle of the sportwash but figured I didn't need it and put it back!!!  its hard to find around here too everything is that scentlock or carbon clothing stuff..

but thanks for the ideas, the coat is brandnew so maybe for now i can sneak the baking soda from the fridge into a bag with it,, cold water and dry on a towel flat i didn't know though..

thanks T
"Us vs Them"

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
I do not wash my wool clothing but do hang it outside for near a week if possible! Any dirt and I brush it away! Great idea with the cedar chips, Hoyt! I think I'll try that! Thanks guys!

Kenny   :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Kavogt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Don't put it in a clothes washer. The agitating motion that helps clean your bedsheets is the same kind of motion that will cause your wool to felt. This is because wool is covered in fine scales. Add water, heat and agitation, and those scales begin to interlock, tangle and tighten together.

If I have to, i dunk it in cool water with some hand soap, rinse it out by dunking it, and then let it air-dry.
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it"
 - Friends of Voltaire - 1906

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
I have a lot of high dollar wool, and I store it in a very large pelican box with the walmart cedar lining the bottom of the box. I also purchased from walmart one of those delicate mesh laundry bag, and fill it with the cedar chips. I looks like a big cedar pillow and keeps the chips from sticking to my garments. It smells great every time I open it. I have purchased used wool that reeked of moth balls and put it in this box for a few days, and when I removed it the smell was gone. I haven't needed to clean my wool much. Just like the others, I wait for it to dry then brush it off. Hang outside in the winter sun works well too.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
I just through in a washer with cold water, no soap, LIGHT agitation and not even a full cycle agitation, just a COUPLE of minutes. Then I spin drain water out and hang dry. At times while drying, I stretch garment at main points (block drying).

The reason I dont use soap of any kind. Is wool has natural oils in the fibers and I dont want to wash those oils out.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
I've got mine bloody a few times and all I do is use cool water with no soap. Wash it by hand and rinse it as many times as neccessary til all sign of blood is gone from the garment and water, then hand wring and block (gentle streach and smooth) on a towel and let it dry. No shrinkage at all.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
how about pine branches with wool,,,, some of my regular cotton material stuff I cut some small pine branches and then tape the heck out of the ends that I cut so no sap leaks out and put the branches in the bottoms of the bags (contractor trash bags) with my  hunting clothes.  nobody mentioned pine with the wool so I'm curious..

also I always forgot to ask about this but when your wool gets wet it takes on a wet animal smell, hate to say dog but it does resemble a wet dog. wonder if this is good or bad down wind???
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©