3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My New tipi  (Read 668 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
My New tipi
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
My 33 year want for a tipi became a reality due to my very loving wife.  You see, I was 6 years old when I watched my very first western movie with my dad, and from that day forward I have always wanted a tipi.

I'm planning an elk hunting trip with a couple friends for 2014, and need to break up my big purchases to keep the homefront quiet.  So, I finally got enough nerve to ask my wife if it would be OK, and her responce was "I'm not even going to try and understand it.  If you want it, just get what you want."  I was floored.  I went on a 3 month research project and met many wonderful people along the way.

I only knew of one person that had a backpackable tipi like the one I wanted, but his tipi was up in Alaska on a long hunting trip, so alot of questions would be asked in lew of being able to see and touch the tipi.

There are some very well made tipies out there, and through research, there are also some that are best left in the box.  I was in search of an 8 man tipi (sleeps 3 with gear comfortably, and 4 if you really needed to), and the price range of available tipies was $150-$2000 plus.  After alot of phone calls, PM's and emails to a whole lot of people (I found anyone I could that either had what I was looking for, or knew more about them than I did, which really wasn't that hard).  I found a company that was made in the USA, and from what I was able to decipher,they took the best part of all their competition and made the ultimate basecamp/spikecamp shelter there is available.

I bought what I believe was the best price to quality ratio that I could possibly have bought.  My search led me to a Seekoutside.com 8 Man Tipi with a full liner and a titanium wood buring stove.  The tipi and liner material are a SilNylon (silicone impregnated nylon), and couple with the carbon fiber center pole and carbon fiber stakes and titanium wood stove, the whole package weighs in at 11#.

As a size comparison, I'm 6'3" tall, and 220#

I was kinda skeptical on how easy it was supposed to be to set up, but I read the instructions 2 times before atempting the first pitch.  I can honestly say that the first time took me 17 minutes from the time I opened the box till the tipi was fully erect.  I thought I had missed a few steps, but everything was done like the instructions said to do it.  The first time I set it up was this past weekend, and I was more concerned with getting it seamsealed during the warm weather we were having, than anything else.  It was a great way for me to kill the afternoon at deer camp.  The seamseling took me about 1 hour, and the whole time, I just kept looking at all the features that were included in the tipi.  The back door for ventilation is a huge bonus, the rain fly on the main door zipper, the stake loops being made of webbing (not rope), and then there is the carbon fiber pole and stakes.  I think that the carbon fiber is absolute genious.

I installed the liner the next day.  The part of the country I'm from, almost guarantees condensation on the inside of the tent, so a liner was also on the order for the comfort factor.  The liner was installed Sunday morning, after all the condensation had dried from the inside of the tipi, yes there was a lot.  I was in no hurry to get this done, and it was installed in probably a 1/2 hour.  I'm just going to leave the liner attached to the tipi, so that from here on out I don't have to hastle with doing both.

Complete breakdown and packed away took me 10 minutes and everything fit into one stuff sack the size of a plastic grocery store shopping bag, and the best part of them all, the tent/liner/woodstove all together weighs 11#.  Yes I said 11 pounds.  This is a huge bonus for the guys who want to pack in 5-10 miles and set up base camp there to hunt out of.  It will get you in, where others only dream about.

I have not had time as of yet to do the initial burn of the woodstove, or cut the stove pipe hole, but if the stove is anything like the tipi, it is going to be a winner.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My New tipi
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
All I can say is SWEEEEET!!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
I get the corner.....  :p

Looks nice Mike!! And 11# is hard to believe but that is impressive.  :cool:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
I get the corner.....   :p  

Looks nice Mike!! And 11# is hard to believe but that is impressive.   :cool:  
Bud you can have the corner, your just going to keep going in circles trying to find it.  I do think we are going to be very comfortable down at the St. Jude Hog Hunt.  This is one of the surprises I have in store for that hunt.  The other is going to remain a secret till we all are down there.

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
Nice thread

A tipi is also on my wish list
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Ok this is a nice review of what look like a nice piece of gear! I will definitly check them out.
Good for you and keep us informed of hoe it performe in all condition you will accounter in the future!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 03:17:00 AM »
Pretty cool Mike. Will you post pics of the stove  when you start setting that up to burn it in?
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 05:58:00 AM »
I've seen one person on here that has a Tipi "DOC" & I too think their neat & I want one myself but only 11# including the stove?
WOW

I may have to save my $$$ to get on in the future.

Can you show a pic of the stove?
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 06:15:00 AM »
Pretty slick.

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
Looks good!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
Wow Mike!...really nice looking setup you're working on. Mind telling us which stove (make and size) you went with?

I've had an 8 man tipi for 4 years now. No doubt it's the best hunting shelter I've ever owned. I hope you get much pleasure from yours!

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
Nice
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
I have spent extensive time in both of the top end ultralight tipis available up until now; Kifaru and TiGoat.  I met up with Mike Sunday to look at his new gem and it is a gem.  If I was starting from scratch, that Seek Outside takes the best features from both.  I was very impressed.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »
I bought the large stove that Seekoutside.com sells.  As soon as I do the stove setup and burn in, I will post pics of that too.  Right now it's hunting season and that takes precedence.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
interesting..I'll have to check this out when I get home (cant see pics or view the web page her at work lol).

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
I'd be interested to see the inside set up  with your floor material, stove and gear when you get time.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's floorless.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
The tub floor is an option. I checked out the website. Nice website too, I might add. These folks are for real.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Yes, this is a floorless tipi.  They do offer a floor, but I would much rather not have one and not have to worry about taking my boots off at the door.  

As soon as I get the stove set up and installed, I will report back.

Yes Kevin, you are correct.  This company is for real.

The stove is collapsable, and in my eyes, is going to be a very valuable.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
That's cool.  Can't wiat to hear how it works for you on a hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©