3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My New tipi  (Read 667 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My New tipi
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
The first hunt is going to have to wait till March when we go on our St. Jude hog/turkey hunt down at Hog Heaven.  I had hoped to have it a couple weeks ago, but the tipi was in production (my fault for waiting to order it), and I did not want to rush them and be unhappy with the outcome.  I will set it up in the yard later this month just to get the stove installed and also get some more pictures for you all to see the whole set up.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
Fine looking tipi you have. Please keep us informed of its performance as you get more acquainted with it. You mentioned the amount of time it took to set up and pack away, was this by yourself or with help?
Scott

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by glass76:
Fine looking tipi you have. Please keep us informed of its performance as you get more acquainted with it. You mentioned the amount of time it took to set up and pack away, was this by yourself or with help?
Scott
All by myself.  All my hunting buddies wanted to help, but I told them I wanted to see if I could do it myself, which I did with no problem.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I LIKE it! Yeap I'd stay with the floor less design also it's the berries when your out hunting!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Mike, how is it for roominess inside. I have a 12x12 canvas pyramid tent, but its 11' tall so the side walls are straighter, which gives it more room. Im curious with the shorter tent if you lose a lot of standing room?

I used a Kifaru paratipi this fall elk hunting,which is a good shelter, but a little too tight for two hunters, backpacks bows and quivers. The canvas tent was a great base camp, but Im thinking about getting a tipi like yours for for base camp next year with the option of using it for a spike camp tent. I mayt still use the paratipi, but as a solo shelter. Still up in the air on that one.

I love a canvas tent for base camp, we packed itin a mile. Not gonna do that again. Ugh!
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
That looks like it would work great on an Elk hunt.........or any place else for that matter!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Autumnarcher:
Mike, how is it for roominess inside...Im curious with the shorter tent if you lose a lot of standing room?

Both Steve O and I were standing in it having a conversation, and were atleast an arms length apart.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
John, everything is a trade off.  8 man is no problem standing, lots of headroom for a couple over 6' guys.  It is a perfect size for 2 or 3 hunters IMO.  Your canvas job is going to be a lot heavier and much less wind resistant.  I got rid of my 4 man Kifaru because I could not stand up in it.  I can live with that in my one man and one pound Supertarp, but not my main base camp!  With all that said and with my 8 man Kifaru in hand, I am seeing how many pounds I can take out of my almost 100# 12x12 Alaknak.  I bet I get it close to 40#...not a bad bag to put in a Super Cub or a darn llama could pack that in for a base camp with headroom!  

Big Mike, I will have your 90% pants with me tomorrow and Friday.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Give me a call, and we will set something up for a pick up.

GO TIGERS

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
Sweet setup
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Steve-0, you're right on the mark.  I have the 8 man Kifaru and we do pack it on Llamas for deep elk trips.  If you put it in a compression sack its smaller than most sleeping bags.  I love it.  The problem I have is fitting more than 2 guys in it with gear.  (It slept four on a river trip in Alaska but was very cramped.)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
FWIW: I am able to pack my 8 man tipi (Kif) and inner liner into a medium Granite Gear compression bag. It's definitely smaller than the average mummy bag stuffed. Makes for very compact packing.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Thats pretty cool.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Heres a question how good do they stand up to wind it looks like in a strong gale they would blow over.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
The tipi has stood the test of time.  It is probably the best suited  for taking wind because of is conical shape.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
I have spent extensive time in both of the top end ultralight tipis available up until now; Kifaru and TiGoat.  I met up with Mike Sunday to look at his new gem and it is a gem.  If I was starting from scratch, that Seek Outside takes the best features from both.  I was very impressed.
What features make the Seek Outside so much better??I'm a complete novice with these tipis
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
The cone material on top, the material thickness of the SilNylon, the vertical and moon shaped seams, carbon fiber adjustable pole, carbon stakes, web stake out points.  Like I said, I did about a 3 month search before I decided to spend my hard earned money, and I wanted the best bang for my buck.  That is why I went with the Seekoutside.com 8 man tipi.

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Too cool, Mike! I like it!
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Neat!!!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Hey Mike,
Could we see a pic of the tipi with the liner in it?

Thanks,
Scott
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©