3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 65# Canebrake/47# Super Diablo Same arrow  (Read 407 times)

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
65# Canebrake/47# Super Diablo Same arrow
« on: July 10, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
I just traded Tobildeez(David Slocum) for a 65# Dan Quillian Canebrake recurve and Crooked Stic(Mike Miller) just converted the limbtips on my 47# Diablo to be able to shoot FF string... Afriend gave me a set of Cedar shafts 23/64 and didnt know the spine, one shaft had already been cut down to 29.75 in.BOP, well I finished the shafts, fletched w/5.5 high back shield hard RH. helical and put a 190 gr. tip on the cut down shaft, total weight 628 grs.

Heres the rub both bows shoot this arrow perfectly nothing but spinning feathers to target. The Canebrake is spitting them out at 179.7 fps. at 28 in. and the Super Diablo is shooting it at 160 fps.at 28.5 in., both bows are dead quiet. Pretty cool that I can now shoot the same shafts out of a 65# and 47# recurve. The grs.# for the Canebrake was 9.6 gr.# and the Diabo was 13.3 gr.#.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 65# Canebrake/47# Super Diablo Same arrow
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
Learning from others, I have come to believe that hard helical can correct for a ton of flight issues, but they slow the shaft some.

Maybe one bow has more center shot than the other. Seems center shot variance can be a big factor in draw weight vs. arrow spine. Either, both or something else.. long as you're happy.  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
Doc, yeah the Diablo is cut past center where as the Canebrake is maybe just to center. Either way just neat that at 22 yds. they pretty much hit identical on my pig target.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
This whole concept of center shot vs. draw weight just fascinates me...  :)

Lighter bow requires stiffer arrow with more center cut on riser since arrow gets kicked in arse more directly and doesn't have to bend around riser, it needs to be stiffer... just fascinating to me... LOL.

Congrats! Just neat how that works out sometimes!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
I say check the chrono as well, those canebreaks are quick, but that Diablo at 18#s lighter should not be only 19fps. slower, no way. I agree with what Doc. said though.
Shawn

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
Just a thought, I was shooting 2117 awhile back that flew perfect (tight ball of feathers) then a buddy said let's strip the feathers off and see how it bare shaft tests.  well it hit a foot right.  the Fletching does alot. I mean alot.  Just what happened to me.........mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
Shawn, Ive compared it to 3 other chronographs and its within 3-4 fps of all of them. The Diablo is shooting a 450 plus string which made it pick up about 9 fps... Its shooting a 423 gr. arrow 185 fps. so seems about right to me...And if the Diablo reading on chrony is wrong so is the Canebrake which I dont think so, as Ive shot my Groves thats 66@28 thru it and thru the proshops and they were within 3 fps of each other and it and the Canebrake are within 3-4 fps. of each other with the Groves having the edge.  DesertDude you may be right but if your getting perfect flight it really doesnt matter with fieldpoints, only when you try a broadhead, when I do that may be a whole different ballgame.. Just my observations with equipment at hand....

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:11:00 AM »
I got to work a couple extra days this week so I ain't going to be able to shoot the #47er. I was hoping to, I guess we will have to see.
Chris Kiefner

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©