3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Light arrow/ bow performance on game  (Read 327 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Light arrow/ bow performance on game
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
The only problems I've encountered have been the combo of light bows, light arrows and big broadheads.

You also have to be honest with yourself on what kind of shots you will and won't take.

Hit 'em in the soft spots and it's like shooting at a water balloon with a few popsicle sticks in front.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by sawtoothscream:
a guy on archery talk uses arrows under 400gr (think 360ish) and used a rage 40 ke (1.5" mech head) out of a lighter set up. he shot a doe at 25 yds qaurtering away and it penetrated to the opposite shoulder.
I saw that post. The guy is shooting a 48# bow with a 7 GPP (grains per pound) arrow. Although he didn't state it, I know his arrow is traveling well over 200 fps (feet per second).

Speed does kill, but shooting that light of a GPP arrow has a good chance to damage a bow's limbs.

When I buy a recurve bow built for me from a custom bowyer, I always ask the bowyer what is the lowest GPP arrow he recommends for his model bow. I have yet to find one that recommends a 7 GPP arrow.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
I personally don't think you have a problem.  BTW I shoot 200 grain heads also.  Abowyer Brown Bears weigh 175 with a short insert you come in at 200-210 grains.  Tusker, 165 grain Condores with 42 grain inserts after sharpening come out at around 200 grains.  Of course Grizzly el grande 165 grain with 42 grain inserts are around 200 after sharpening.  

The problem is Abowyers are more expensive than gold and Grizzly's you will be hard pressed to find.  Tuskers are great and sharpen easy with time and a good file.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Just shot a 190 lb. black bear on August 30 with about a 58# draw weight.  I used an ICS Bowhunter 400 at 31" with a 100 grain Magnus Stinger 4 blade. That would put my set up at about 7.0 gpp.  The distance was 18 yards.  My arrow entered the edge of the shoulder blade, passed thru both lungs and stopped in the opposing heavy arm bone.  The bear ran about 60 yards and expired.

If you like the way your arrows shoot, shoot them.  If you want to experiment, I would suggest to start after the hunting season is over.  Heavy arrows work.  Light arrows work.  

By the way, my arrows don't blow up my bow.  My bow is not loud with these arrows.  They shoot just fine.  And they hit like a ton of bricks.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
I respect NightWing's post.  I just received my first custom Blacktail bow from Norm Johnson 6 weeks ago.  From talking to Norm, he's not much in favor of lighter weight arrows.  From his literature he sent with the bow, his only recommendation is not to shoot less than 7 gpp with fast flight string.  

To my knowledge, Norm's guarantee doesn't have a minimum grain per pound.  But, if I was to build bows, I would have a minimum.  On the other hand, I shoot bows, so my feelings on this side of the equasion are somewhat different.  

That said, I've been going crazy trying to get arrows tuned to my new Blacktail.  I've finally solved that today, 2 days before the season.  I will be shooting ICS Bowhunter 500 with 150 gr Stinger 4 blades and 10 extra grains of brass washers.  The bow is 48# at my 29 1/2". This will be 8.86 grains per pound.

I think this will be a great set up - not too light to cause trouble with Norm if there's trouble with the bow, not too heavy and all the problems that I don't want with heavy arrows.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Had a hard time convincing myself to join the heavier arrow crowd. Best penetration advantage no doubt within reason. There is an optimum speed/weight ratio likely different for each setup.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©