3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turtle leather  (Read 531 times)

Offline KyGal

• Trad Bowhunter
Turtle leather
« on: July 10, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
I like to use as much from an animal as I can, and just returned from a vacation at the knee of the Old Master of woods n water, my father in law. I have seen bows with turtle leg or neck leather as a handle "wrap", applied as a sock. We caught out 2 gnarly snapping turtles, one of which was big enough to consider recovering some skin. Ken scalded them for a minute before we scraped and cut them up.

My question is, does brief scalding damage the skin for leather. I have the quartered turtle in a ziploc frozen right now and want to know how to proceed. The smaller one we just cut the inside of each leg and skinned and defatted prior to eating. Nothing was left worth trying to tan.

So what do I do?

Offline KyGal

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turtle leather
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
???

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
I'm interested too

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
Me as well!

TTT
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
Ask Snakewood3, the St Judes bow had turtle on it this year.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
First ya gots to tan the hide. Either send to a comercial tannery or buy a kit and do it yourself.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline KyGal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
I got an email that said "just skin it out and tan with glycerin". It seems awful thick, should I thin the flesh side? We're kind of at the other extreme in reptile skin here - snakes ain't hardly as thick as a postage stamp, and turtle seems thick as buffalo hide!!

I think sending off a turtle's little leggins to a tannery is kind of crazy??

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
I'd be interested in seeing how you butcher a turtle to eat. Never have tried one before. How did you catch it, alive? And how did you kill it?
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
crock pot and a sharp knife....
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline HumbleHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
I've caught some snappers, one the other day that went 25 + pounds and wondered how anybody could tan it. I've also wondered about tanning gar hide. I'll be watching this thread. Have a great day, HH

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
In the past I've had good luck w/ a 50/50 ratio of Glycerin and Witchhazel.  Glycerin keeps things soft and supple, witchhazel dries out that fat.

Might want to give that a try   :saywhat:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
St Judes...Snakewood bow & tippit knife had gator and it was tanned...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
I've used scalding as a way of dehairing rawhide for braiding, don't seem to hurt things any. You do need to flesh any fat off prior to scalding or it sends the fat into the rawhide.

Offline KyGal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
When you're talking glycerin, is it the vegetable stuff at the health food store, or something from taxidermy suppliers? Witch Hazel makes sense too. It always struck me that straight glycerin would attract critters to eating the leather.

As for catching we were at a neighbor's pond. We'd fish normally with poppers and deeper running swimbaits until we stirred up bubbles. Then Grandpa Ken would grab a stout cane pole rigged with gorilla braid and a big circle hook baited with a piece of shrimp and drop it in the bubbles. He set the hook hard and kept the pressure on to keep it off the bottom. As it neared the water's edge I jumped in and grabbed the tail. Then Ken whipped out a screwdriver and let the turtle snap at it. Once it has the screwdriver he jams it down through the lower jaw into the ground and I pulled hard on the tail to stretch out the neck. Then you slice the head off and toss it back in the deep, away from the hovering kids.

He hangs them in a tree by the tail (tied with a scrap of mono) to bleed, then you keep on fishing. Cutting them up wasn't nearly as big a deal as I had heard. He scalds them for a minute, which allows you to clean the slimy layer off the skin and plastron, resulting in a beautiful creamy white working area. Cut around the edges of the plastron, gently skinning it away, then sever it where it meets the shell on either side. Quarter the front legs and neck, seperating them from the shell with a flexible bladed knife. Strip the esophagus and heart lung area. This gives you room to work on the back end. Work on the vent/cloaca area like on any other animal, taking care not to puncture the small bladder, then pull it back through the pelvis and remove. Pour the rest of the guts in a bucket, put the heart in saltwater to entertain the kids, and finish quartering. Soak the quarters in brine, then skin and remove all that nasty yellow fat.

They are neat critters, amazing cranky dinosaurs covered in algae. Most of the Kentuckians I know who like turtle either noodle or jug for them. I am too fond of my fingers to noodle, and as a mom jugging takes too much time. Plus it strikes me that pond owners like to see dead snappers like sheep farmer's hate coyotes. Good vibes for potential access.

So I asked my father in law to show me his method. When it comes to biting snappers are usually obliging. We caught 2 in 15 minutes once the bubbles started, one about 8 # and the second about 15#. My kids loved the whole adventure, including the eating part. Wish I could post the pics!

Offline KyGal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
PS if you haven't seen the leather it is gorgeous, nubby like ostrich, thick as buffalo.

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Rittells has a package with all the stuff & directions for tanning called EZ 100
It leaves the finished side the same color on snake skin, is a permanate tan and the chemicals are not toxic to get rid of when your done.
The flesh side turns a snowy white. There's enough stuff for a couple deer or one buffalo, should do a bunch of turtles.

I'd like to see a picture of  first bow grip you do.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©