3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Little Help with Layering / Cold  (Read 258 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Little Help with Layering / Cold
« on: October 14, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
Not cold around here, but when I go home later this year, I need soem help with layering.

I have a set of columbia wool bibs/coat, but what should I wear under it...

Stand hunting..

I have worn the columbian brand wool before and the wind cuts thru it pretty good...

What are some suggestions?

thanks
Blessings,
Steve

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Little Help with Layering / Cold
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I use Merino wool or fleece base layers under my Columbia wool and stay warm sitting still for hours in Michigan and Colorado every year. You can pick up some decent Rocky fleece at wally world for a good price and it's served me well for the last couple years. Good luck this season!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
I wear any base layers that are either wool, wool blend or synthetic such as polypropolene.  I then wear LOOSE fitting clothing over that with WINDSTOPPER or equivalent wear.  The key to stsying warm is to block the wind and allow circulation through your body, which is why I mention LOOSE fitting clothing and boots.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
For the coldest days here. It's Texas so keep that in mind. I love to hunt the 20 degree days, but just like you we have a bitter cold that goes right down to the bone from the humidity.

I wear a Silk or Underarmour style long sleeve shirt, then a 100% wool sweater,a berber pullover from cabelas, and  my wooltamite vest with windstopper liner.

I basically create a shell around me with the windblocker with wool insulation. I can sit on the coldest mornings, wind, and rain and just barely get the sniffles.

Hope that helps

Coby
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
I have a set of the packable goretex rain gear I keep in my gear box. The top and pants each stuff into a stuff sack the size of a beer can. I find when the cold winds starts cutting through, I wear it just under my outer layer of wool, so its still quiet, and it does a great job keeping the wind out.

For day to day stuff, I have a fleece vest with windstoppper that works great. There are some good wool sweaters withthe WS lining as well.

I wear merino wool or polypro base layers. Prefer the merino wool.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
Cool... Thnx guys
Blessings,
Steve

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
FWIW I've replaced all of my cold weather insulated stuff with a Heater Body Suit.  That way I can wear my regular hunting clothes, not get sweated up walking, wear my uninsulated lightweight boots and still NEVER get cold.  I would give up my bow before I sold that peice of gear.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Wool is always a good thing. One of the very best things I've ever learned to keep me warmer in the coldest of temps is....

http://www.thermacare.com/article/112/heat-wraps-transforming-heat-therapy.aspx?source=Google+-+General+heat+wrap+heat+wraps

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is to avoid getting hot on your way to your set-up. Sometimes over half of my clothing may be packed in. And then I may add layers in increments. Additional layers are added prior to getting a chill.

Not all hunts can afford this. I have found that the process in itself, by stealthily adding layers warms me up.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
I aways put silk(cabelas silk) next to the skin then layer on top of that with wool. Silk wicks an wool wicks you stay  warm and still can move free. Best combo i found
Bull

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
If hunted harsh wind cutting places i would deffently look at the heater body suits you have the cut the wind to stay warm. I have used those thermacare things too there great. Even whens its only in the low 30s for guys with bad backs they keep you loose.
Bull

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Wool, wool, wool, and wool.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
I third the body heater suit. It sound like Mike and me use it the same way. If it gets down to 5-10 with the wind blowing. I use KOM with a merino wool underwear and a polarfleece vest with hot pockets sewed in. I carry it up the mountain to my stand and up the tree. Body heater suit is the best piece of equipment I have ever bought, would hunt the cold season without it.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
I'm also a marino wool guy.  I like fleece as a middle layer.  Fleece with windlbocker even better.

Also if you dont have a wind blocker on their find something...even sleeveless vest to go over your main coat.   You'll be amazed at how much it helps. or the fleece jacket/vest underneath....   Over or under find a place for it and you wont regret it one bit!  :)

Lastly dont walk into the stand with everything on...go in and be comfortably cool or heck even slightly cold.  Warm means you're perspiring, ie wet.  Add a little wind and time and you're going to get cold.     Bring an extra pair of socks if you can.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
Don't overlook good Carhart products. I use a carhart vest under my top layer when out hunting, and that super-tight weave really cuts the wind.
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline DJTJR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
+100 on the heater body suit.  i have a hard time shooting trad with too much bulk but in NY it does get very cold come mid nov half way through the season. i have literally spent hours in stand on single digit degree days in carharts and a flannel shirt in the heater when  something shows it sheds easily and quietly letting me shoot with little obstruction.  great piece of gear. just wish i could figure out how to make it work when using my tree saddle.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
My Columbia wool tightened up a good bit when I washed it and with 2 or three layers of thin merino I've not had any real wind issues.......I've found that seveal thin layers blocks wind and insulates better than 1 bulky layer..........just dont wait to the last minute if you have to take  leak...............
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©