3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: over bowed or stack?  (Read 696 times)

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
over bowed or stack?
« on: October 14, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
i have been working really hard on my form. when i come to my ancor in the corner of my mouth and "dig in" while i hunker down on my arrow my groups have tightined greatly.

the problem is the last 1 or 2 inches seems to be hard or at least i have to think about. is that stack or being slightly over bowed?

i usually don't notice thoes last few inches until i have shot 2-3 dozen arrows.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: over bowed or stack?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
What kind of bow is it and what are the cores made out of. What are the specs?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Jaikarr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
A picture of you at full draw would help a lot as well.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Just a thought. If your groups are tight for a few dozen arrows, why not exercise yourself into the stack or extra weight? Sounds simple fix to what otherwise may not.

Same bow, same draw; but, done at 1/3 intervals & hold for a 3 count until full & 1/3 intervals back down. 10 reps w/each hand. (try 3 sets each hand) That is, draw the same intervals with the opposite hand using the string also. Quick fix in a week or less.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Might be your form, you might be in too closed of a stance. Might be how you draw into your anchor.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Could be a number of things including too short of a bow for your draw length, too much draw weight, or even a bit of target panic.  Stats on your bow, draw length, etc. would help.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Get a scale and do an FD curve.  That will tell you where the stack, if any, begins.  Over bow is the killer of form, IMHO.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
If it is either, you still have an issue. Everything said above, you've got to go to basics and find out what it is. A thousand things can be going on.
Do you have access to lighter or longer bows to experiment? Or just different designed bows....you have to shoot something else to compare.
 A Bear Grizzly ( JUST A DAMN EXAMPLE, DONT JUMP DOWN MY tHROAT GRIZZLY FANS) may be smooth as butter for one guy, but stacks like hell to a guy used to a different bow....know what I mean?
David M. Conroy

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
62" one peice recurve.  its dead on 65# @ my 30" draw.  bamboo is in the core.... its a mojostik.

i shoot this bow a lot better then my other.  maybe i'm just being too picky.
but the chase."

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by straitera:
Just a thought. If your groups are tight for a few dozen arrows, why not exercise yourself into the stack or extra weight? Sounds simple fix to what otherwise may not.

Same bow, same draw; but, done at 1/3 intervals & hold for a 3 count until full & 1/3 intervals back down. 10 reps w/each hand. (try 3 sets each hand) That is, draw the same intervals with the opposite hand using the string also. Quick fix in a week or less.
This...
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
You could have the bow scaled to see if it does stack the last couple inches at the end of your draw.I have scaled a few bows that gained 6-7 pounds from 28-29 inches.

Perhaps you are getting tired after those few dozen shots.I would knock it off at that point.

You do not want to ever get into the habit of short drawing your bow.It can become a severe shooting malady thats hard to turn around.Do not go down that road!!!

Perhaps your bow is a bit heavy for you even if it does not stack.You might drop down a few pounds.

Your much better always getting to full draw with a lighter bow than coming up short with one thats too heavy.

You will get very good performance with the extra inch of draw length vs one thats too heavy and your coming up short and not getting a smooth release and or dynamic release which adds speed,a sweet feel and quietness as well to your bow.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
last week i started drawing my bow left handed to try to build strength.....

i used to always shoot one arrow and go pull it and shot it again then go pull it again.  for some reason i have got into the grouping mentality for some reason. (this is when i started noticing thoes last few inches)  i think i'll start back with the one arrow and then go pull it method. as well as drawing lefty.
but the chase."

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
If the bow is marked for a 28" draw then it could very well be stacking at 30"
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
What kind of string angle in relation to your limb tip are you getting at full draw?  Past perpendicular and you'll have stack.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by mmgrode:
What kind of string angle in relation to your limb tip are you getting at full draw?  Past perpendicular and you'll have stack.
I was thinking that too as I read down through this thread.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by mmgrode:
I don't know what that means. How do you check?
but the chase."

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
I would say over bowed. Try a lighter pound bow, at least 10# lighter if you can.

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Blaine, you seemed to be shooting it good at my place!!!
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Past perpendicular and the string is actually pulling the limb outward (out from the tips) instead of backward thus increasing the draw weight dramatically, but not gaining performance at the normal rate.  That increase in draw weight over and above the normal draw weight gain per inch of draw is stack. (ex: bow normally gains 3 lbs per inch of draw length up to 28".  At 28" the string angle becomes perpendicular, so each of the last two inches of draw to 30" each gain 5-6 lbs. )

Draw the bow to your full draw in front of a mirror (side view).  Look at the angle the string makes with the limb tip. Or you could set up a camera and take the picture at full draw.  

Let us know what you find.  
Cheers, Matt

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Doesn't matter; you're either overbowed at full draw or you aren't.  "Stack" is just how the draw feels.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©