3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: over bowed or stack?  (Read 695 times)

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: over bowed or stack?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
65# @ 30" ? If it is less that 60# @ 28" it's stack.

I agree that at that weight it is probably just a lot of bow for you, In which case you need to work at weight, have the bow trimmed down a bit, or find a lighter bow..

I use to have a 70# @ 28 Howatt Hunter around.. I kept it just for strength training, and shot and hunt with 50-55 @ 28 bows.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Blaino:
62" one peice recurve.  its dead on 65# @ my 30" draw.    
A lot depends on the design of the bow, but many 62" bows will begin to stack beyond 28" draw.  

Take a 2X2 about six feet long and put a piece of heavy dowel (at least 7/16" at one end slightly angled up.  Then mark the 2X2 from the dowel on down it's face to about 32".  Put the foot of the 2X2 on the bathroom scale with the bow hanging by the string at the nocking point.  Zero the scale with the weight of the bow and the stick on it and then draw it down while reading the scale.  write down the weights starting at 24" and every inch after that point till you get to 31 or 32.

At some point in that range the bow is going to start stacking and you should be able to pinpoint where.  This is a theoretical Force Draw curve that shows what stack looks like.

At 30" draw you may be a candidate for a bow that better fits your stature.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
62" one peice recurve.  its dead on 65# @ my 30" draw.  bamboo is in the core.... its a mojostik.

i shoot this bow a lot better then my other.  maybe i'm just being too picky.
Since the bow is 65# @ 30", that's a lot of weight. Since you said the last two inches seems to be tough on you, I'm "guessing" you're overbowed.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Do you have a picture of you at full draw with that bow you can post?  That will tell the story on string angle and if she's stacking or not.   Kirk

Offline rrowslngr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Stack can make a difference too. I have several bows that are the same weight. Some feel lighter than others because of where the weight is in your draw.
43# Hoyt Pro Hunter
50# Ben Pearson
50# Bear Grizzly
55# Bear Grizzly
55# Black Hawk
57# Browning Nomad
57# Wapiti td Recurve
57# Robertson Heritage Longbow

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I'm thinking it's a feel thing because I am shooting better now then I ever have. I'll try and get my wife to take a picture to post.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
The reason you shoot better one arrow at a time, then go pull it, is the bow is too heavy for you. The time you take to walk to and from the target, short as it may seem, allows your muscles to recover enough to be ready for the next round of being taxed to their max.

Not having the bow weighed and recording what the gain is for each inch after 28 will forever keep the answer to this in the dark. I agree with others who suggest getting it weighed. Then at least you will know what your bow does regardless of how it "feels" and go from there.

I thought what Fred Eichler said about bow weight is interesting- he is 6-2 and over 200lbs and shoots a 54# recurve, even if he can shoot much heavier bows. His accuracy under real conditions is much better. He should know. The other point he made is it is difficult to get in enough practice shooting when over-bowed, as your form and stamina degrade much sooner.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
As a heavy bow shooter, I have a suggestion. Do like one of the other gents recommended. Work on your strength, via a training routine, of drawing and holding. Or get a little heavier bow. After a while you 65# at 30" will be just fine.

How I got up to the weights that I draw is that I always had a "strength bow" for training. It was always 5#-10# heavier than what I could shoot comfortably.

Then my "go to bow" was a breeze to shoot.

My 2 Cents.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
i remember the early days when i used to think,
"I shoot heavy weight bows much better than light weight bows."

The reason for that was that i was pulling my maximum weight, and dropping the string when i couldn't hold it any longer. it was pretty darn consistent too.

it's easier getting off the string smooth with a heavier bow. You just hold till your eyeballs start popping out, and your finger go numb, and the string just naturally slides off your glove slick as a whistle.    :biglaugh:

All humor aside here. I think you may have a little bit of both going on here. a 30" draw on a 62" bow is pushing the envelope on getting a decent string angle unless it's designed for a longer draw.  i can get a hybrid long bow going out past 30" with no stack, but recurve's  need longer risers to pull that one off.

how about posting a photo of your bow drawn to 30"? it's actually quite noticeable in a photo.

Here is a good example of two 60" bows. one is built for a longer draw length. look at the string angle and where the limbs are bending.

Hopefully you'll find this helpful.   Kirk

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
I just made a video of me shooting. Is there anyone I can email it to so they can post it here?
but the chase."

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
Kirk- will the video be ok or is a picture needed?
but the chase."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Kirk- will the video be ok or is a picture needed?
Video would be excellent.   :thumbsup:   ... [email protected]

Offline Kenny New

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
Could be that you are not using your back muscles enough to draw the bow. Possibly using too much of your bicep and deltoid muscles.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
kirk its traveling through cyber land......
but the chase."

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kenny New: Could be that you are not using your back muscles enough to draw the bow. Possibly using too much of your bicep and deltoid muscles.
Here is my post from another thread on heavy bows and back muscles. I firmly believe this:

Forrest,

Let me tell you how I started getting into Heavy Bows.

When I switched from Split Finger to Three Under, I realized I could draw more weight. I easily jumped up 10#.

I thought that was curious but I was also enthralled with the flat arrow cast and solid thump of the arrow hitting the target.

So, I bumped up to a higher weight bow. Shazam, I could pull it, as well.

Then, I kept going up and up in draw weight. There seemed to be no end until I hit 120#. That is pretty much where I have stayed.

But, I decided to go back to split finger. So, I started with a light bow (60#) and it was no problem. I had no issues with Split Finger until I hit 100#. Then, I could feel it in my fingers and the carpals of my wrist. So, I laid off 100#, for a while, and went back down to 80#.
After that became easy, I went back to 100#, and then back to 120#, using split.

A few other points;
1) God made me naturally stout. Strength was never a problem for me. But, I was never a long distance runner either.
2) I shoot long bows. My heavy bows are all over 66” – 72”long. So, there is plenty of draw before stacking starts to creep in.
3) Because of the long bows, I am able to go past “arm strength” and into “back muscle strength”. I tried to shoot a 62” 112# at 28” Recurve. The stacking was so severe, early in the draw, that I could not recruit my back muscles. I did not like that short length at all.
4) Go both ways: Leo Markert taught me this. Get a lefty and a righty bow. Make sure you can shoot both sides. Muscle Balance is key. The “Odd” side does not have to be as heavy as your “normal” side. But, you need to work them both.
5) Use it or lose it. Once you build up strength, keep shooting. Or, it will go away.

Comment about injuries and warm up: I have a torn rotator cuff (just like everyone else). Because I use my back muscles, so much, in the draw I do not feel any discomfort when drawing the bow. I can draw 80#, 100#, or even 120# cold. But, that is not too smart. So, I do warm up a bit. I draw the bow a few times to half draw, then a few times to 3/4, and then up to full draw.

Anecdotal comment: I feel that drawing heavy weight bows has as much to do with “Muscle Memory” as anything else.

For example: Pull Ups. I could “lat pull down” more than my body weight but I couldn’t do a pull up. I kept going to the “pull up” machine and working them. That was fine as long as I was on the machine. As soon as I tried the “free bar”, nothing. Then a body builder buddy said “that machine is worthless”, “pull ups are about muscle memory”. He told me to jump up to the pull up position and “hang” as long as I could, every day for 2 weeks. Then, he told me to try one pull up. Bingo, I could do one. Then, he told me do one pull up a day, every day, I came into the gym for two more weeks. After two weeks, I could now do five in a row. And the story continues like that…..

So, after all these heavy bow draws, I have the muscle memory to do it. I can recruit more muscle into the draw, thus it gets easier and easier.

My 2 cents.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
matt- can i email you my video and you tell me what you think?
but the chase."

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Sure, send it to [email protected]

Love to see it.

Here is an old video of mine.

[/url] [/IMG]
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Here is a newer one showing a 83#, 100# and 120# Bow and arrow penetration.

Matt

[/url] [/IMG]
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Here is Blaine's video.

Matt

[/url] [/IMG]
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
I did a pause on all three of your shots and put a 90deg square up to the screen on each.  Of course, camera angles and the cant of the bow and who knows what other cyber factors might be involved, but you did not approach a 90deg angle on any of those shots.  Going to say that if you feel this discomfort you described you may be a bit over-bowed.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©