3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Needing advice bad on GPS  (Read 340 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Needing advice bad on GPS
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Since some medical conditions has put me in a situation I have no control over, I need some advise.  My complete left side vistibular  function has been completely distroyed.  This has greatly affected my depth perception, and my cordination and ballance

I went in the wood the other morning as an example, took off walking at a 45 degree angle away from my truck to get to a point I wanted to go, and after walking for about 10 minutes, I was standing in a road and looked over and my truck was 30 yards to my right.  It happend twice, meaning walking in a circle while thinking I am going straight.

Now my question is on GPS.  I need to find a GPS that will read under cloud cover and heavy canopy coverage.  I would also like it to be able to have topo features so I can see what the terrian is where I am at.

This is the only way I know that I will be able to get to and from any point from now on or stop hunting and going in before light and coming out after dark.

So please help me with making the best decision I can possibly get from a GPS

Thanks
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Needing advice bad on GPS
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about the medical troubles, Charles. Hopefully they can get you on some meds that will help.

I personally use a Garmin GPSMap60 CSX for both work and personal use.  It has served me well in all sorts of environments and conditions. Used it in Washington's rainforest last month and was happy with the performance.  Also got software chips to use with these...make a huge difference.

I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations as well.  There are a number of good GPS units out there.  Much depends on the price range and features you're looking at, but the Garmin is a good basic unit.  

Hope your condition improves.  
Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
Thanks Matt.  Seems as though they have discontinued that model and replaced it with another one, but looking into it.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline grayfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
garnim makes the best gps, call them and ask them what is the best for YOU. Get the best you can afford.GET,color, long battery life, most important LARGE SCREEN. I have used them for many years, if you have questions send me a private message.leon

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
You can get the GPSmap 60csx on amazon for a reduced price.  Not sure what the upgrade is in the new model...may be worth it, may not. Oh, stay away from the 76csx model: bigger screen, but the lack of an antenna (rubber projection) off the top gives poor position data.  Might be worth a trip down to the sporting goods store to compare some models that would suit you.  
Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Garmin 60csx seems to work in any conditions, or terrain, at least for me.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Garmin 60 CSX buy it on Amazon.  I use mine in heavy timber all the time.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
I just bought a Garmin Oregon 450 and used it extensively in CO for an elk trip.  Awesome model.  Highly recommend it.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I use the 76csx. It has the same GPS chip as the 60csx. I've not used the 60, but I've never had problems with the 76's accuracy. Even in forested environs. It just has a different antenna.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Garmin 62s has an electronic compass and stays locked on even under heavy forest cover.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Garmin is the maker you want but I would get advice from them not someone who doesn't do that for a living. They will let you talk to a technical "expert" all manufacturers will in some form or another, you'd be surprised at who you can get to call you back.
This might sound silly if your not really a technical person, but if you can get mobile phone service, get an iPad - I can get satellite images and shows my iPad where ever I am. I can drive up to a new spot and search it all before I get out of the vehicle. Shows me as a little blue dot while I walk or drive. If you can get to a town that has an Apple Store, go in and let them show you. It's the next phase of the modern hunter. Sorry to hear about your issue, must be frustrating.

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 01:50:00 AM »
Garmin GPS 62s. No problem getting good sattelite coverage under the deepest canopy. I also get good coverage sitting inside my house.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I have an offering in the classifieds under BIo's Gps, etc.  Maybe someone can help me out.  Not much money to spend, but willing to work out a deal to try and get one.  Thanks again for all the info everyone.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
Charles, You can not go wrong with any good Garmin. I have the Garmin 650t Montana and the unit is very user friendly ( easy to use and view ), chip upgradable. God Bless.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Any Garmin is going to read better IMO than any other hand held on the market. So with all their different options find one that meets your budget and enjoy.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
I had the Etrex years back and where I played, it told me to go 180* off course to my truck. Good to test them in known areas!

I sent it to a fella in OH and he tested it and in his area, worked fine.    :dunno:  

I'd have walked off a cliff dropping 300' to the river following the unit's directions, but it only "registered" they claimed accurately at a good walking pace...

Ever try that looking at a GPS in heavy brush? Get an eye knocked out!

Then I bought the Garmin 76CSx and it worked well under tree cover and in deeper canyones.

NOTE: If you take batteries out when not in use, you have to go in circles following the directions to "recalibrate" the compass.

I didn't know that! Set a stand and marked it and couldn't find it in the dark and rain next AM...as the compass was off!

Whatever you buy, Charlie, make sure you spend time in familiar areas with someone to get to learn to use it...they DO have a learning curve!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
You need advice, not "advise'.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
Thanks la Hawkeye.  That will be my next purchase after a GPS.  A spell check for Tradgang.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Whatever you get make sure it has an electronic compass.  That way you don't have to be moving for the compass to work.  I have a Garmin 60CSx, works great and has an electronic compass.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
I vote 60csx with the 24k topo maps of your region.
I have been using this model since they came out. I replace my map76 with it and never looked back.

The newer models are adding
5 MP autofocus camera,
 preloaded topographic maps not sure 1f 100 or 24K
 wireless data sharing,
and charging $$$  I don't think its worth it
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©