3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gun Season  (Read 351 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gun Season
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Ok, the weather is perfect here and I would love to go sit in a tree but it is the Muzzleloader's chance here this weekend (we can archery hunt during our gun seasons but must wear hunter orange). I have done it but struggle with getting out during the gun seasons. My first hang up is I want to leave my places alone (private lands) for a safe haven for the deer. Then I really don't want to be tromping around and push deer and hear that dreaded shot by the neighboring farm in the direction the deer ran just seconds later. What do you all do?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline kykiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gun Season
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Normally I would be out there but we have a function at Church this morning so I'm waiting till this afternoon. I have family that only Muzzleloader & gun hunt so I take my bow and get in the middle of'em typically.  If no one else would be there I'd probably let it sit, and take a trip to LBL, some other public hunting thats not to far away.
Do or do not.  There is no try.

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
I am at home and didnt go this morning.Just cant get into it as I like bowhunting more even though my success rate is lower.I plan on getting out next week for the first time this year.I have had a cam or two out and been getting a few pictures.Presently I am hoping no one is trespassing as that has been a problem in the past.My hunting area is about 65 miles away.Presently looking for a small popup hardsided camper so I can stay there some while hunting and not have to drive back and forth.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
If I had your spot and your season so far, I would stay home so not to kick the deer out.  That or go hunt someplace different if you just want to get out.  So far in our regular archery season I have seen one deer in shooting light so I would be out hunting hopping someone kicks out some deer for me.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
If there is no one out I'll go during m'loader.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
If I fear pushing the deer off the land then I leave it alone as well.  I try to be as invasive as possible while hunting.

Offline jim ratcliff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
I like traditional archery! But I love hunting...anyway you cut it. I bow hunted through muzzleloader season last year.but come gun season ...the gun cabinent comes open   :dunno:
well....let's go let the air out'a one!

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
Went for a while this morning,the wind was bad and I only saw 1 small buck and about a zillion squirrels.
 My buddy called and said they were having a Buffalo dinner at the lodge at Jenny Wiley this evening,I think i'll take the wife and hunt there. LOL....  :biglaugh:

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
I got a doe this morning; opening morning for the gun guys, but I am lucky to have some private ground for my whitetail/turkey hunting, all of 5 minutes from my house, so I only heard gunshots from far away. As gun season progresses, we will get more and more deer in our acreage. Bring on the bucks!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
I take whatever time I can get. The deer in my avatar was arrowed in PA's late January muzzleloader season. My hunting time has been very limited.
David M. Conroy

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
I hunt.

All the time I can get in the woods. Which for me is a lot during the week (evenings) and I spend family time on the weekends when most of the real problem hunters are out.

But... I also view hunting a little different than most I guess. I never worry about pushing the deer. They'll move whether you are there or not. Hunters help me kill deer.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
Centaur, our farms are anywhere from 20 to 800 acres usually around here. Very small places compared to where you are. If we bump deer they could very quickly move off our properties.

I have shot deer with my bow during gun seasons also but I know I have run deer to a neighbor as well.

Natty - true they can and do bump deer my way as well.

I suppose I should have gone and not worried about it. After sitting in a hair salon with my daughter for THREE hours this morning I now wish I did. There are some really strange people in this world is about all I learned today.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
I don't have the option to hunt with my recurve where I live. It's guns only during gun season around this area. However, I build traditional flintlocks to hunt with and get just as much of a thrill killing a deer with one of my flintlocks as I do with my recurve.

I hunt with my flintlock during modern shotgun seasons and recurve during gun seasons when possible. Never made any difference to me what other hunters are using.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Hoyt, I never have understood that rule. One of those that makes no sense. The no hunting on Sundays is another that is absolutely ludicrous. But last I knee there were 11 states that had that rule.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
Hoyt, I never have understood that rule. One of those that makes no sense. The no hunting on Sundays is another that is absolutely ludicrous. But last I knee there were 11 states that had that rule.
I'm not sure, it may have something to do with how Illinois limits amount of hunters per county during firearm seasons.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
If its legal I'm out there hunting.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
TJ here in IL we are not allowed to bowhunt during firearm season. It is a bit of nonsense that I hope gets changed. I would be the first to say go get em but knowing how good of a hunter you are (ie low impact) and your belief in sanctuary places I'd say hunt the fringes for flatheads and let the bucks have those cores of private ground you have for protection.
Mike Davenport

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
I throw on the required orange and go.  I look at it this way - there's a much greater chance of the muzzleloader folks scaring a deer to me than there is of me scaring a deer to them.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
I usually head to a WMA (where there is no gun hunting allowed) and hunt.  Ususally a few deer being pushed onto the wma.

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
I gun hunt, I love to hunt with all weapons and do not begrudge anyone for their choice of weapons, gun season is a great time to fill the freezer. here when it comes in I have had a couple of months to hunt, and if there is room in the freezer its time to fix that.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©