3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A new "heirloom" thanks to BigJim  (Read 479 times)

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A new "heirloom" thanks to BigJim
« on: October 15, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
Well after 12.5 months of back and forth on design and wood and material problems/challenges Big Jim did it again.

Before I show you the pictures let me tell you about the bow.

My family came to the US shortly before I was born and worked hard to educate thier 3 kids (I'm the youngest) and give them the opportunities to work and prosper that they didn't have in their old country, Portugal. When they came it was a poor, practically medevil. Mom and dad are elderly now (80 and 86 respectively) and my son is only 4 so it isn't likely they will get to share very many milestones with him. I wanted something for him to remember them by. I thought how cook would it be to have a bow dedicated to them, go to POrtugal and take a wild boar and/or deer there to baptize it and then give it to my son when he is old enough to hunt with it.

Well the first part of the plan, the bow, is done thanks to Big Jim.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A new "heirloom" thanks to BigJim
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
:campfire:
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Here are the bow's details. I wanted to use materials that I remember from my visits to Portugal. So I selected wood from the same types of trees that grow on their propoerty there.

3pc Buffalo, 62", 53# at 29"
Walnut riser with olive and black phenolic line accents.
Cork grip (>50% of the world's cork comes from portugal)
Limb Back is Eucalyptus an import to the mediterranean (fumed to add color)
Limb Belly is Olive (like the kind you eat)
Walnut wedge and accents
Antler limb tips (antler is from the first deer I ever shot)
The antler knobs are bought and I will be adding some decoration to them possibly flags or possibly their names. TBD.

As you know if you are a BigJim afficionado, the buffalo nickel is actually 2 nickels head out to show the date. One is from 1925 the year my dad was born and one was minted in 1931 the year my mom was born.

Now I am working on planning the trip for this spring and hoping my mom makes it through the winter to see it and even go. You see we almost lost her several times the last 18 months due to Lymphoma and other complications. She's doing better the last 3 months so keeping my fingers crossed.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
I for got the last detail. instead of "pick a spot" I had it translated to POrtuguese "Fixa um ponto"

TGMM-Family of the Bow

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
HOLY COW!

Man my hat's off to you and to Big Jim. First that is a touching story and a great sentiment. Second that may be the most unique bow I have seen. I LOVE the cork handle.

May God be with your Mother. I pray she will be able to return home with you.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Amazing bow brother! Great story. Follow your dream.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
That's way cool!

Bisch

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
Awesome bow,very nice tribute to your folks.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
Holy Smokes Antonio....that's a gorgeous bow. I've recently become a convert to the 3 pc. takedown bow and this one makes me nervous.  Just told the wife to kill the router for a few hours cuz I don't want access to paypal for awhile....lol.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
Wow I like, I haven't shot one of three pieces yet but sure would love to. One of these days Jim is gonna make a real bow with curved limbs     :saywhat:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
Great bow

Good luck on your quest
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
I wouldn't have thought about a cork grip, but that is beautiful. I continue to be amazed at the big guy's artistry. Just when you think he can't outdo himself, he does. And the story behind the bow is great. Now you need to go out and get some blood on the bow. Congrats to both you and Big Jim.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
That was a great story and a great bow.  God bless your parents I hope they both get to see your dream come true.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Very, very nice, both the story and the bow.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Nice bow and great story thanks for sharing it with us.
Good luck on the next part of the story  :)

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Heirloom is right! What a gift to pass on. That cork grip is really unique and sets the whole thing off.What's more, I'll bet it's even more comfortable than leather when it's hot out.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Very nice bow and awesome story....  :thumbsup:
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
amazing story and beautiful bow and Im sure theres gonna be many stories out of the bow ..years to come..
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Big Jim just continues to out-do himself, and that's a 'Big' task! That is without a doubt one of the most beautiful and unique bows I've seen. The story behind it is beautiful too, Thanks for sharing it with us.

Congrats to you and Big Jim on the bow, good luck on your 'mission', and Prayers for your parents.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Neat to finally see the bow, Tony, after hearing all the back and forths about this & that. You'd gone a bit mum recently on it, and like others, I think the cork is pretty amazing!

Your Mom is like a Timex...with all the near -end experiences she's been thru and just keeps on coming back!

The tribute began in the heart and it will always reside there, Tony...regardless of the rest of the 'plan.'

YOu kill a hog with that and young David will just grunt his way thru his child hood as fast as he can to shoot "Daddy's bow" and get himself a real hog!

You should have taken pics of his antics in the yard with all his "hog traps"... sounded like a spiderman convention!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©