3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stu Miller calcualtor question  (Read 111 times)

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
Stu Miller calcualtor question
« on: October 16, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
I had a Bear Super Kodiak.  It was 50# @ 28".  I was shooting a 2117 out of it and got all my info. for the arrow from Stu's calculator.  I sold the Kodiak and bought a Howatt Hunter 42# @ 28".  When I put my bow information in the  bow inputs section  for the Howatt hunter it has a higher number than the Kodiak.  Why is this.

My second question in what would be a correct shaft to shoot out of the Howatt Hunter.  It is 42# @ 28.  I am shooting it at 28.5  

Thank you.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stu Miller calcualtor question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Did you put in exactly the same arrow information including insert and nock weights?  Most "errors" with that calculator are from the riser cut from center dimension.  I don't know how far either of those bows are cut past center, but that number makes a big difference.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
I tried to get 2117s to fly for someone with a 28" draw on a 53 pound Howatt Hunter. They were cut at 29"bop, it took 200 grains up front to get it fly. For a 42 pounder unless there is tons of hardware up front. A 2016 with a heavy point or a 1916 with 125 grains would be more likely

Offline hkmp5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
I punched in both bows on the DSC and get 1# lighter dynamic required for the Martin......basically to the same arrow required.  Yes, the draw weight on the Martin is lower but it has a riser cut 1/8" past center where the bear is cut to center.  If you are using the same thickness strike plate then they ought to shoot the same arrow well.  One thing to double check on the Martin is the draw weight.  Nearly all that I have owned were 2~4# higher than marked weight.
-Stu

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©