3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Im getting very frustrated with my shooting while hunting !  (Read 297 times)

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
Im getting very frustrated with my shooting while hunting !
« on: October 16, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I need some help ! Ive been putting in to much practice and shooting to good for this to start going on now !

Here is my problem. This is my first year hunting with traditional equipment. After Im done hunting I always take a shot from my treestand at a stump,leaf, clump of grass and ect. just for practice. Im hitting 12-14" low and 6-8" to the right at 15 yds, so I know I would not make a good shot on a deer ! Ive shot alot all summer both on the ground and out of a tree and have shot very well, needless to say Ive had great confidence untill now ! CONFIDENCE LOST ! What am I doing ?

BTW,Im right handed.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline jefffunff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Im getting very frustrated with my shooting while hunting !
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
try shooting a judo every hour
NRA Life Member

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Do you think while in the stand your muscles and body are tight from not being able to move around?
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Dropping your bow arm maybe, to watch the arrow? Just a thought. My POI is similar when I'm not paying attention and my bow arm starts dropping at the shot.

Something to look at.

Mike

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
That's what I was meaning Jeff, we are on the page.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Are you watching your broadhead as you pull back? When I started I payed more attention to my arrow than I thought I did. When a large visible broadhead was switched out from a field point I would shoot low right.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
When my arrows go low and left I'm losing back tension or collapsing (same thing?) when I release. I'm right handed.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
bend at the waist, solid anker, fallow through
Bill

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
First practice with the clothes you wear when hunting(including head gear),make sure you hit anchor, and bend at the waist, and forget about the tree behind you your arm wont hit it. Make sure you still have the same cant on the bow(if you cant it) and as mentioned dont watch the arrow you end up lifting your head.
  You have to go through the same mental checks as you would when practicing.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Put a stand up at home and practice from it.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
Slightly bend at the waist and cant your bow. Should be around "1 or 2 O'clock" on the cant.

Hitting low is just not practicing enough from an elevated stand. You'll be fine with a few shooting sessions.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Sounds like part of the problem might be that you are plucking the string, the other part of the problem is you might not be bending at the waist, pretty much what other people here have said.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline snakebite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Same as Zipper...Pluse, Make sure you are reaching full draw.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Do you have a quiver mounted on your bow? And if you do,,do you practice shooting with the quiver on and arrows in it like you hunt? Its not unusual for a quiver full of arrows to shoot way diffrent than without it.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Yep lay that Bow down when shooting from an elevated position also bend at the waist.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Bill said it, your probably not bending at the waist, happen to me!
Conny

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Sounds like you did your prep.  If you have been practicing from a stand have you had a harness and all your other stuff on?  A tight harness can mess up stuff.  I would also guess maybe a pluck and peak.  I really try to make sure I draw with a high bow to better get myself in line for the shot and pull in line of the shot.  Try a few full draws and holds on stand to warm up and keep loose. Then try a shot to see if that helps.  Also shoot an arrow or two early in an AM hunt so you don't have to pull a cold shot when you need to make a shot on game.  In  the PM I always shoot some on the way to the stand or before heading out.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
First, in my opinion, you should stop hunting deer until you get that sorted out. Post a video of you shooting in the Shooter's Forum and get some good feedback. Hopefully it'll be something simple. It will still take you a little time to ingrain the motion, though.

How long will it take? It depends. Test yourself to see how you're progressing. Do some extensive stumping sessions. Shoot at different distances from different body positions and shoot one arrow at a time. You want to be hitting within a feather's length of your target. When you can do that regularly, you're ready to deer hunt again. When I say regularly, I mean 9 of 10 should be close to where you want them to be.

Another good test is to go squirrel hunting. Don't rush yourself. You've chosen a difficult shooting method and it takes time to develop the consistency needed to hunt.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
I definatly do my prep ! I practice like I hunt in every detail, Ive been a very sucessful bowhunter for nearly 29 years,but not with trad equipment.I shoot nearly every day both 3D and blank bale,from a tree often and some stump shooting and I shoot very well. I cant my bow both on the ground and while in a tree. I also draw my bow probably every 30 min while setting on stand trying to stay limber. I really think my problem is related to being "stiff" and cold even though I draw my bow often. I think I could be collapsing at the shot but not sure and Im not sure of how to keep this from happening when shooting at a animal. Ive also shot after ive gotten down from the stand and I have the same problem untill I have shot a few arrows, yet at home My first shot is always as good as any other shot !

Thanks for all the info, keep it comming !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
try my method,,,,,, make sure you come to full draw and if you feel your not going to then let it down and don't shoot it,, when you do come to full draw push your bow hand (the hand thats holding the bow directly at the kill spot and push it hard..  this part is very very important,,,, do not move anything until the deer reacts or you hear the hit/miss.. DO NOT try to watch the arrow, it will come up into your vision and then drop out back out behind your bow hand.  

SO  I draw back and make sure I hit anchor while pushing my bow hand directly at the spot,, simple and effective!
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©