3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Im getting very frustrated with my shooting while hunting !  (Read 296 times)

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Im getting very frustrated with my shooting while hunting !
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
I would say you nailed the problem right at the start, Confidence is gone and so is the shot.

Confidence is key in almost all things, if you don't have it everything falls apart. You need to believe you can make the shot, and it sounds like you can.

As many would tell you traditional archery is a mental game.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Shooting practice on stand is important!

It is also my first year with a stickbow, I put a shot or two in the ground every hunt and usually learn something.  Most go pretty well (still hitting a hair high, which is why I will be aiming for heart).  BUT, yesterday when I shot I heard horrible noise, got jerked forward and my arrow went fluttering away. I saw something dangling from my bow and thought the worst.  Then realaized my hands free grunter pinned to my jacket (which I thought was clear to the offside), got caught in the string and tore clean off my jacket.  Just glad that didn't happen on live game!

Good luck on figuring it out.  Can you jack up in a tree at your house or practice from an elevated position?
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Sounds like your prep has been spot on. One thing I didnt see mentioned- is it possible you're short-drawing? Not getting fully to anchor with good back tension? I found with me if I make a bad shot thats usually the cuprit. I have a mental check list when I draw on game- pick a spot, draw,squeeze( back muscles) anchor, release follow through. I run the steps through my head before I draw.

I do the same, I shoot a judo every morning before I get out of my stand. So far, every one has been within an inch of my target.

Confidence is a big facor in the mental game of archery. It doesnt take much to rattle it, but again it doesnt take much to get it back.

Single arrow cold shot practice is the best. you'll get it straightened out, just relax and let the shot happen. Dont over think it.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
Like Joe said: bend at the waist.  Your upper body should be the same configuration whether on the ground or in a stand.  If you try and curve your back or bend your neck to accomidate the angle you do wierd things with your anchor and probably also vary your normal draw length.

Do you have a back deck, garage roof or ladder to practice from?  If you try and out-think the angle you will screw up your instinctive brain.  Hitting a tad low is actually not a bad thing.  14", however, is a bad thing.  Take some blunts and a plastic gallon jug and find a high bank or elevated spot t shoot down at the jug from.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Try hunting from the ground, that will keep you  warmed up as you spot and stalk.

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Nathan, just curious; do you hunt with a bow quiver on your bow and if so do you also practice with the quiver and arrows on your bow?  That can also make a difference in your shooting.  Several other Trad hunters have run into that same issue.

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
You didn't happen to do something like I don't know,  say add a bow quiver to your bow for the season without tuning to it?   Almost sounds like the case...   :saywhat:

Offline El gran J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
I agree with Kituwa a bow quiver will affect your shooting.  You gotta practice how you hunt.  Once you've got your form down, practice with or without your quiver, and if you shoot good on the ground, practice from an elevated position.  Sitting on top of a ladder is usually a good method.  It helped my brother.... he was shooting horrible from the tree stand until he started doing that.
Be Kind, Be Courteous, But always have a plan......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©