3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Views opinions on high tech finger tabs?  (Read 245 times)

Offline Kaninmaskwa

• Trad Bowhunter
Views opinions on high tech finger tabs?
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
I was thinking about switching from glove to tab. Masters of the barebow series got me curious about the cavalier elit and the soma.
What are peoples views, is this getting to close to a release aid (I know that's a highly opinionated question)?
Do the Platform tabs allow for a much cleaner easier release?
Would it be good to use one to help engraine good hand posture and then move to a more traditional tab later or would the tab become like a crutch that you then have to depend on to much?
I would definitely like to hear from those of you who have used them or are using them.
Cheers
Shawnee

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Views opinions on high tech finger tabs?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
:laughing:  

No, not quite like a release aid at all.

I like the Cavalier for the fact it gives me the same placement on the string every time with the aluminum plate.  Not much difference with the rest of it.  Cordovan is Cordovan.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I've used many different "high tech" tabs in the past. They have all seemed to work well but in the end I went back to the basic Damascus style glove. All I can say is give them a try and use what you are most comfortable with. At one time I had a whole drawer full of various gloves and tabs before I finally tossed them.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
I have a high anchor and don't like the plate.  It scuffs my face.  3 under or low anchor I would like the Cavalier.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
I'm with Ross. Shoot what works best for you.

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
I use a Cordovan tab with a spacer myself, nice and lite and don't even know that it's hanging of your finger. Tried a few different ones,and like this one the best. Found that the ones with a plate are too heavy and uncomfortable for me. Try them and see which you like

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
Soma's are nice tabs but I wouldn't want to hunt with one .
There are a bunch of  great tabs around , get down to HVTA and try some diffrent ones . The best ones I have used I made myself . I like a really thin tab so
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 06:26:00 AM »
I use a 3 finger under cordovan like 3Rivers sells, have  had no issues. I tried a Soma and several other European type, metal plates,etc, could not shoot any of them worth a flip, went back to my old cordovan. I have also been making some out of distressed leather, single layer, but soft and smooth that shoot well, have decided these 2 types are all I need.
samuel koger

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 07:06:00 AM »
I also was a cordovan tab guy for a lot of years....  Really would have liked to find one with the spacer Daniel B mentioned.  Mine was just a hunk of cordovan from Ed.   Worked great.  My fingers couldnt handle it anymore and I've since gone back to a glove.  I havent messed with the high end stuff but I did love my super tab!

Offline AdAstraAiroh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
The platform tabs are just a tool, but the actual release mechanism remains the same, just like any other tab or glove.

My experiences with the Soma Saker I tab have been most positive.  The triangular shape of the aluminum plate in my palm reminds me to not cup my hand and the "pinky finger" loop relieves some pressure off my ring finger. I also like the fact that the tab is firmly attached to my finger, and does not slide.  All this combines to give me a better hold and a cleaner release.

Mark

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
hmm...I might have to try one...that cupping you mentioned ADA is what was tearing up my hand...ended up getting fingers so sore I had to switch to some heavy leather cordovan stalls.   They are broken in now and feel great but I did love the tab I think more!

Offline Kaninmaskwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
I should clarify I know they are not release aids. What I was meaning is a release aid takes out the imperfections. I wondered how much if any imperfections the High tech tabs took out? Ie if they are  preventing cupping, keeping the string in line, elevating string torque......
I do find it very interesting to hear everyones opinions and experience.
So far I gather the platform tabs are more of a way to prompt better techniques without eliminating the need to execute them all yourself (except for maybe string positioning?).
I'm finding this very helpful.  :)

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
I don't have any experience with the target style tabs, but I've always wanted to try one with the pinky finger loop. Good question I will keep an eye on this one.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
AkDan, 3 Rivers has the Cordovan tab with the spacer. Check them out.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
I shoot 3 under and have grown fond of the EW Bateman cordovan...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Stoutstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
My Black Widow tab is my favorite. It has a leather plate and leather wings between your shooting fingers. I picked up an Alaska Bowhunting cordovan tab that has a rubber seperater and plate that is nice too. I also have a Cavalier Elite and a Fred Eichler but prefer the top 2.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
When I switched to 3 under I switched to the cordovan cavalier elite with no attachments.
It works for me.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
My personal opinion is that there's no need to complicate a great piece of equipment.  A simple cordovan tab, properly fit, will give great results and be less intrusive than a glove.

It's knida like a longbow.  Sure, you can complicate matters, but why would you want to?
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©