3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with a handicap/dissability  (Read 365 times)

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with a handicap/dissability
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Charles,

I read your story and I'm not one to go to Dr's but try over the counter meds first when I'm feeling sick etc.I was supposed to go have a Balance test tomorrow morning cause I have had several dizzy spells and Not doing a thing about it...This past July I got sick and had a head cold that just wouldn't go away and I took over the counter cougth syrup to try and clear it up...I had a problem with back pain and thought it was due to surgery from back problems and hardware in my L-5 S-1 so I went to see a Dr. and she gave me a Antibiotic pill to kill the infection so that's why I didn't go back to the Dr. for my Head cold...Finally after some ear bleeds that weren't to bad my wife said let's go see a Dr, and I did...I told them I didn't want another Antibiotic but she insisted I get another to get rid of some infection in my ear and she wanted me to see an Ear,Nose,Throat Dr.I went about 3 weeks ago and he did a quick balance test where I put one foot forward and one back staring at a wall and then closing my eyes..Well I managed to stay upright but it was difficult to do with some weaving..He then made me stand on a thick rectangler pillow with both feet together and hands to my side and closed my eyes..Well I just about fell off and began to laugth and he made me do it again and same results....He scheduled me for some more tests tomorrow but like I said I cancelled out due to feeling much better but after reading your post I'm resheduling for another date...He mentioned to me I may have something going on behind my left year throwing me off balance and getting on ladders looking up makes me a little dizzy...Your post hit home to me and mine is no where near your condition but it got me concerned to have myself go ahead and to have this test done...Thanks for posting that ...I pray you get better Charles! God Bless, Keefer's <><

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
I have a wife that doesn't hunt,does that count as a dissability?...LOL

But on a serious note I do recall a few years ago a member who lost three fingers on his drawing hand in an accident. He was looking for ideas for a release. A ton of guys through ideas out, dont know what ever happened to him.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by stringstretcher:
... it is about suggestions to help others over come a handicap or disability. So please share your thoughts.
My sister, who was an incredible athlete and pianist, is paralized from the neck down. She lives her life fully as she can and sometimes through my physical adventures. Anyway, what I have learned after a lifetime of being around her and others like her is this-

To those who have some physical hurdles:

-------Do not be afraid to ask for help.-------

A lot of us out there understand. You do not have anything to prove, especially to us. Allowing others to help you will deepen the experience and in no way diminishes your accomplishments.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
I'm a polio survivor, since age 4. I'll be 63 next month. I have about one fourth of normal leg muscles, and use two walking sticks (or a walking stick and a bow) to get around while hunting. Good friends help me get ladder stands up, and deer out of the woods. Treasure your friends! I've been hunting for the last two weeks with my best hunting buddies, and we're having a ball! Had a heavy P&Y buck within 15 yards a couple of days ago, but he was moving too fast. Half drew on a nice nine point just before he showed up. The next few days could be great! A cold front, and pre-rut activity. I grunted in the nine.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 03:10:00 AM »
Seems like always somethin'.....I used to be a concrete finisher.  I used to hard work and in the heat.  If I didn't work, I didn't get paid so I was used to keep going no matter how I felt.

Well back in '87 I started hurtin', a different type of hurt.  When I'd say something about it to someone they'd just say something like "what do you expect, you're gettin' old".  Well I could tell it wasn't normal but when talked to Docs they acted like I was just tryin' to get out of work.  Finally I just couldn't stand it anymore and quit doin' concrete.  That gave some relief but it wasn't till one of the Docs sent me to a Rheumatologist that I started gettin' some help.

The Rheumatologist ended up sayin' I had Rheumatard Arthritis.  Then she found the Fybromyalgia, along with the Restless Leg Syndrome, then Neuropathy, and Degenerative Bone Disease in my spine.  She used to say I had the "Trifecta of Joint Pain".  Well with the meds I am able to cope with it all most of the time.  When there's a weather change I'm in bad pain.  If it's gonna rain, or a cold front goes through or whatever it affects me.  Somedays I wake up and just can't stand it, but not that many choices.

I wear Fentanyl patches, synthetic morphine, and change them every 3 days.  Plus I take pain pills too, just to try and take the "edge off" the pain when it gets alot worst.  At first they didn't want me to take all the drugs I'm on cause I'd get hooked on them.  Well they can't do anything to stop the pain, or the diseases so I said who cares, finally they agreed.  I've been in pain most of the time since '87.  That's 24 yrs. now and pain really wears your body down after a few years.  

Between the pain, and the side effects from the drugs I end up doin' very little of anything.  The patches I wear are heat activated, by that I mean the hotter I get, or the patch gets, the more morphine it kicks out.  That helps on the pain, but before ya know it you're kinda buzzin'.  Enough that I no longer can ride my motorcycle safely, or even just wear warm clothing that I can't take off or open my shirt up to cool my patch down.  I'm like a old lady now and get these heat rushes which makes the patch kick in, which means the morphine will end up makin' me nod out for an hour or two.  Like it or not.......Plus that morpine messes with me. like my memory, and just ramblin' on like I just noticed I'm doin'.  Sorry for ramblin'.  I'll quit.  Things could be alot worst, except for the times the pain is so bad I'm ready to give up.  Then I just take more drugs till they knock me out and try it all again when I wake up.  It's hell, but what are the choices?  Tomorrow I go in for more shots in my back for that nerve pain.  It's just a vicous cycle.  What's so depressing is that they don't even try to say they can cure any of it.  They just say deal with it.....and here's more drugs.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 03:45:00 AM »
Everyone that has shared so far in this thread, is an inspiration to those of us who do not struggle with a disability. My hat is off to those of you that have shared in this post and I hope that you can all find a way to enjoy this sport that we all love!   :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 03:58:00 AM »
joekeith reading your story is exactly the shape I am in. I just take one day at a time. I pay for it when I push  a hard hunt. It used to bother me cause I was a workaholic for 30 years but I have learned to accecpt it and do the best I can and try and enjoy life. We are not drug addicted we are drug dependent. Its a big difference. I have an epidural in my back sceduled in two weeks. I also get a nerve burn or RFL 3 times a year. GOD bless you all...Dave
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 04:51:00 AM »
Keefer, what you are describing is how mine started.  I hope you do not have what I do for your sake.  After a year of trying rehab, and doing the pillow thing you are talking about, they decided to do the injections.  And by the way, I fell completely each time they put me on the pillow, could not walk a straight line, could not stand up with my eyes closed and hand straight out in front of me.  I know the feeling.  Now, all I have is my right side to read all my balance, and it is not easy.  I hope and pray they do not find this with you. And to share how bad this is, I applied or was told to for SS disability last year in June, was approved in September without any questions and never seen one of the SS doctors.  That just shows how bad this stuff is, if SS will give you money with no questions ask.  Hang in there brother, and if you ever want to talk or ask question, please get in touch with me.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 05:54:00 AM »
PCBA ! They have so much to offer to the Physically Challenged Bowhunter !

http://www.pcba-inc.org/
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
All I can say is WOW!

I will never again bitch about the coyote that runs off the deer, the rain that catches me without my coat, the kid on the four wheeler, the wind that switches direction, the arrow I dropped or the cows that just won't leave because it IS NOT bad luck or a serious problem.

I applaud you guys with real issues and your drive to overcome not just in our chosen sport but in everyday life.

:clapper:      :clapper:      :clapper:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
This may not qualify as a disability, but I became a severe diabetic out of the blue 2 years ago.  Insulin, an emergency sugar source, and a cell phone are now my lifelines when I am in the woods!

It affects my shooting and my independence.  

But I'm still going hunting!

Archie
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
I had chronic shoulder dislocations for ten years and could not draw a bow. Through physical therapy and maintaining a strength training routine I am able to shoot again.

Now, however, I have developed a rare condition known as mastrocating vascular disease. My body doesnt retain any sodium, which is needed to constrict veins and keep the blood in my head and feeding oxygen to my brain. Certain things can set me off and make me woozy and sometimes I faint and lose consciousness and wake up in weird places. Heights is one of those things. It would be pretty bad to faint in a tree stand so needless to say, I hunt from the ground, and I have a heck of a good time with it. God Bless.

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Im really proud of everyone of you! I just told my wife I need to read this thread everytime i get down about somthing stupid. Thanks to all of you.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
Kentucky TJ, you said it all. We that have no serious health issues should never complain. These folks are an inspiration. I have a good friend, John Rook, from Ohio that has killed more big game animals with stickbows than most of us and John is totally blind. He and others that have severe problems and continue hunting and shooting should be applauded.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline PhilNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
Oh boy, don't know how to respond since some people I know read this. Broken neck in 1980, cervical spine fusions in 96 and 99 then found out I had rheumatoid arthritis several years ago. I take monthly infusions and painkillers, but I still get out in the woods and even go up in trees still. I have a hard time with the recurve but do a league each year and want to do more hunting with it if I can get good enough to feel confident. My best bet is to go out in the morning, skip the evening, and try not to hunt two days in a row. People ask how I deal being in pain all the time and I say give me a choice. Some of the most fun I get is indoors in the off season shooting targets, having a beer and shooting the **** with the guys in a mixed league where anybody can shoot any style they like so long as it is a hunting rig and not a target bow.
Just getting out there is an accomplishment for me and the fall woods here always lift my spirits.
Maybe someday I will be able to practice enough to get better, but untill then I'll have fun working on it.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
I have a good friend who doesn't come on here, but he is a trad shooter.
6 years ago he was hit head on in his pickup truck. Both ankles were crushed, onbe arm broken and I don't remember all the other injuries. His good ankle ended up with 19 pins and screws in it. They kept him in a drug induced coma at the hospital for 3 weeks to allow his body to heal somewhat. He just kept working at it and now gets around pretty well but uses a golf cart for any long walks.
He is now building bows part time for friends, helps out at our organization when we do kid events and he went bear hunting for the first time this fall.
Your mind is the strongest weapon you have when you can remain positive.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
10 years ago I was injured at work, had both legs crushed from my femur to mid tibia and fibula. A 6800lb object fell on me and trapped me for over an hour. Had both tibia plateaus pulverized so much so that prosthetics were not possible at the time. Plan was to rebuild and later replace. Spent  11 weeks with external fixators (brutal) from my hips to my ankles, a year in a wheel chair and seven months learning how to walk. The first bow season after I began to learn to walk I figured out I could shoot off of my four wheeler and reluctantly convinced my wife I would be ok close to the house. With in two weeks my best friend received 2 phone calls after work where he had to come drag out 2 deer for me. All the time I had spent before getting as high in a tree as I could or selecting the perfect camouflage and now I had taken 2 deer from less than 20 yards setting on my four wheeler. The next year after I was told crutches or a walker was the best I could ever expect, I harvested both my deer and drug them out myself. Since then I have had one knee replaced chipped it in a fall on some cypress knees which caused it to lock up. But I am still walking on the other which was never meant to be walked on. Every year I walk a little better a little further, the pain has also increased but as I learn to depend more than ever On Christ for my wholeness I still take nothing more than over the counter pain killers (asprin). My doctor told me two years ago that he was done with me, from his personal expert opinion I should not be walking now and when my current physician (Christ) decided I needed his talent again he would be there but for now my progress was beyond his comprehension or explanation.

I have found I cant do everything like every one else does, but I can do everything I want, I just do it a little different. In the midst of a life altering accident I found the abundant life I have always wanted. Bow hunting is more than a passion it is part of who I am. A bow is more than a weapon it is a piece of art I created that is as much a part of me as my arm. My goldwing is more than a form of transportation it is a journey to reveal Gods great wonders. My wife is more than my partner she is the completing part of me.
I lost a piece of me but what I lost was only what was holding me back.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Just reading some of these post, gives me even more determination to be able to do things again.  I am pleased to read about all the  things that each of you have accomplished and wish you well in all your adventures.  For me, it is rebuilding not only my body to adjust, but my mind to settle in and not give in to this dreadful problem.  I again, applaud each of your for your wisdom, your strength, and you attitude to continue.   :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
This thread becomes better and better each day! Head off to you all!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
It makes you wonder how some people get by every day with what ails them. No matter how bad you are/feel their are others who are a lot worst off and don't complain. Good for them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©