3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Boot survey  (Read 610 times)

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Boot survey
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Muck boots.

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
I like my Chippewa pull-over snakeproof and waterproof boots.  Very comfy, but can be fairly hot for the Texas heat.  Then again, it's in the heat of the summer that the snakes are out.

Otherwise, I have some Wolverine brand lace-ups that are also comfy and less hot, but they have more of a work sole.  So they're not that good in rough terrain.

For colder weather, I have some rubber-outer muck boots with removable insulation I got cheap from a local Army-Navy store that work great.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Stick with the Danners, been wearing them for years hard to beat.
Larry

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
I have Lowas that fit me well (narrow foot).  Not made in USA but in Slovania or Slovakia (can't recall which is the actual country).
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline hnryclay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Wesco boots are the best line boots made, but for hunting in the eastern woods I love my LL Bean boots. The soft rubber sole is near silent they are made in Maine, and have a great warranty. If you want boots for a more rocky environment I am still wearing a 4 year old pair of Asolo 525 hiking boots almost every day. They are simply the toughest boot, that you do not have to break in I have ever owned. I have done 20 mile days with a 30 lb pack in snow with these boots, and came out with dry feet and no blisters.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
I have to go with White's boots. Have a pair of smoke jumpers I've had for 20 some years. Have had them rebuilt twice(not just for hunting wear). They come back like a brand new pair, but with that same old feel. Great boot for all terrain.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Now  THAT  is a "Cold Hearted' Snake-In-The-Grass" to Steal another Mans Boots!! They have Tortue Chambers for "Individuals" like that!!
  I own an older pair of Rocky Hunters that are The Best Thing since Indoor Plumbing to Me!!  :thumbsup:  Nice & Toasty in the Snow, Pull out the Liners and as Cool and Waterproof as I have ever had. Just MHO of course!!   :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
I've had great luck with Matterhorns both in the Army and in the job I am in now.  They are waterproof as much as any boot could be, and feel and wear like the Danners do.  Plus, they are made at the Cove Boot Factory here in PA.
Barry

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Ladams, I was hunting a ranch in Rocksprings Tx once, we were riding around glassing some draws in the middle of the day and saw some illeagals walking up the other side a quarter mile away. My buddy says, "Hey that one has a jacket just like my ski jacket back at camp. That's an expensive jacket for someone like him to have". You know the rest of the story when we got back to camp. That was twenty years ago and he still gets reved about it.

I have some Lowa Tibet Pro GTX boots that I love. They have regular and wide sizes.

Offline Stick n' String

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
My go-to boots in south Texas whitetail country most of the season are a pair of Courteney Safari hunting shoes. They are tough, comfortable and quiet when traveling to and from the stand. I bought them in Namibia for around $80.00, although the only people who carry them in the states are Westley Richards - and they will cost you considerably more than what I paid. They are reinforced with Cape Buffalo skin and feature soft impala uppers and welts. They are bad in the rain and they are bad when sitting in the cold.

My favorite mountain hunting boots are a manufactured by Montrail. Great mountaineering boot, uninsulated and very cozy. I have beat those boots unmercifully and they are still around... that is about all you can ask for, I suppose. However, they will not keep your feet warm in extreme cold if seated for long periods and they are loud when stalking (Vibram sole).

My favorite all around hunting boot is still the venerable L.L. Bean Main Hunting Shoe. I have a pair I bought back in college, almost 20 years ago, that are still fantastic. Buy them a size too big and purchase quality merino or capeline socks and you are good for damn near any conditions.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
Hot weather boots: Courteney Hunters (or other Courteney boots).
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Ladams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Making a decision is tough with all the quality boots  available.
I didnt put this much thought into buying my daughter a car,
Soverign balistick 62"62#@28
Soverign balistick 62"60#@28
Krewson Snakey Osage 64" 52#@28
Seven lakes longbow 64" 59#@28
Moab 62"58#@28"
Big Jim thunderchild 58" 50@28"

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
love my hi-tech altitudes - super lightweight and comfy right outta the box.  was recommended to me by an oregon forest ranger, a good choice indeed.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Danner Pronghorns are certainly doing me well. 2nd season on my pair. And last season included a prairie hunt in NE and I am an avid rabbit hunter. So I put some miles on mine. They are comfortable and warm enough for me.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline Ladams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
I also have a pair of insulated pronghorns that I love, but they are way too hot in texas early season.
Soverign balistick 62"62#@28
Soverign balistick 62"60#@28
Krewson Snakey Osage 64" 52#@28
Seven lakes longbow 64" 59#@28
Moab 62"58#@28"
Big Jim thunderchild 58" 50@28"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
I've had good luck with the Danners also.My lighter pair is a 6" TFX Hunter.I don't know if they make that one still but it is similar to an uninsulated Pronghorn.

One I've been trying this year for an early season boot is the Under Armour Speed Freak.This is an extremely light boot with Goretex.It is very comfortable,needs no breaking in,good traction and support for a boot that light.The Goretex will make your feet sweat when it's hot.They have the Valsetz model which is the same boot without Goretex but only comes in black or tan.I read a lot of great reviews on it.The Speed Freak is new.

Offline gonzoso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
I've been served well by redwing boots.  

I've had a pair of 1412's that I wear a lot and have worn for over 3 years.
Samick Sage 50#
1970's Bear Kodiak Magnum 50#

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
I have had great experience with two italian brands of boots if you're looking for something different.  Gronell and Crispi - these are both made very well and suited for the alps.  

Honestly though.  My next pair WILL wear the name Kennetrek, danner or meindl.  

My dad still raves about his matterhorns - i'll have to look into that one.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
I love my Danner's as well. Never had a better boot.

Offline El gran J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
Whoever stole them should be shaved, neutered and destroyed!!  I'd go with the Danners though....I use them at work, and for hunting!!
Be Kind, Be Courteous, But always have a plan......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©