3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpest broad head out of the box...  (Read 567 times)

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpest broad head out of the box...
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
Even if they are sharp out of the package, they soon wont be. You need to figure out a way to sharpen them yourself.Most good two blade heads can be sharpened easily with a smith or lanskey knife sharpener.I use a file followed by a diamond hone.A really dull blade can be hard to sharpen so try not to ever let them get real bad dull.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
I recently got some new Zephyr Sasquatch heads and they were shaving sharp right out of the package. Simmons only require a few light strokes with the ceramic sticks to be good to go.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
It seems that the general census is Stingers and Abowyers both look great i'm looking into getting the Stingers. As to sharpening i do have a ceramic stick which i do use i'm just looking for something that will be ready to go or almost ready to go. I'm really appreciating everyones feedback!

Offline roughneck3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by youngarcher1:
Ok i have another question for you magnus stinger fans, have you had better performance with the 2 or the four blade? or it i just a preference kind of thing?
Someone else posted this once, but I always think of it when asked 2 or 4.
 Think about pushing a straw into a McDonald's lid, it would be much more difficult if it was only a slit instead of the little cross slit. Ol Fred was a genious with those bleeders, the Stingers are like the old bears, the bleeder is so small I really don't see it impeeding penetration that much, but I think that axtra slit will give a better blood trail.
I ain't on this rock to play patty cake!

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
I haven't been though all of them but of the ones I tried the were shaving/hunting sharp right out of the package were Abowyer,Ashby,Extreme and Stingers. STOS is easy to get really sharp and that's what I use mostly.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Any that came from Ron at KME!
Bill

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
how have the stingers been for durability and sharpening? I plan on having a package from KME in the near future    :D

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
I have shot a total of 3 big game animals with Stinger 150 4 bladers, one elk & 2 caribou.Shot them with the same  Bigriver longbow, 53#. I really like them, great performance. They have flown great for me, minimal tuning, spin perfectly and are plenty tough in my opinion. Pretty sharp out the package, but can be made sharper pretty easily.

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af44/bhallstead/elkhunt2001019.jpg

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Since sharp things are my daily grind (pun intended) I'll add my 02... Sharpest heads right out of the pack are  (in no particular order):

Steelforce,
Abowyer,
NAP (although not as "traditional" in some opinions),
The older Siverflames from Markus,
Oh yea, and anything we sharpen. Thanks,

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
I'm kind of ambivilant about out of the package sharpness mainly because you should shoot all your broadheads to test arrow flight.  You you do that you'll need to touch up the edges anyhow.  So there's really no substitute for learning how to sharpen a broadhead unless you use one with removeable blades.  

Most any broadhead will take an edge if your sharpening technique is adequate.  None will if you don't know how to do it.  

Its not hard, its not an art. Its a learned skill.   You have to practice some and use proper tools.  But you won't learn how to do it well with a couple of attempts unless you are one of those people who is very good with his hands.
I'll say I didn't really get the first edge I was happy with on a knife until I had done about 30 of them.  I got downright awful edges at first.  But it got better and now I'm confident regardless of what I sharpen..chisels, knives, broadheads...

I find the factory edges on most broadheads--including the super premiums to be mediocre.  I have a half dozen Aboyers and Tuffheads and love love love them.  But the edges IMO were a little too rounded due to the way they sharpen them on wheels.  When I get done with them you could cut sushi with them.  They aren't bad out of the package but not up to my admittedly snobby standards.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
silver flames - i know two folks that had to rush to the er after just TOUCHING one edge of a silver flame.

but truthfully, you NEED TO KNOW HOW TO SHARPEN A CUT ON CONTACT BROADHEAD.  oooo, all those caps hurt my eyes.  seriously, i hate hearing about guys wanting to buy ready-to-use broadheads.  sharpening broadheads and knives ain't rocket science, really.  we here for ya, we can help!  promise!   :wavey:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Mike.s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
The Tusker Aztec KME bloody sharp are awesome out of the box but still have to touch them up after shooting them and they are easy to get super sharp. learned from the help here on TradGang.
"Retirement 22 days and a wake up but whose counting".
US Army Light Infantry 94-Present
USMC Recon 85-89

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
Of course you need to know how to sharpen stuff. That does not mean you need to spend hours honing that skill.    :bigsmyl:  
I know how to wash dishes and iron shirts too; that does not mean I want to spend time doing those chores.
I meticulously sharpen stuff that gets dull and buy stuff that is sharpened by the maker-be it knife or BH.  I do that because I can and get to spend time with the family or doing stuff that I like-making arrows or hanging out on TG.

Offline Grizzlymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I guess I am  just too picky becuase I have never been pleased with any broadhead straight out of the box /package (magnus,muzzy,silver flame ,etc...) I always seem to want to touch them up some more before I go hunting with them Do not get me wrong they are sharp I just want them sharper

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Steel Force are crazy sharp out of the package. Hold an edge, sharpen quickly with a wheelie and don't rust.

My wife uses them and I did until I fell in love with Zwickey.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 01:37:00 AM »
I think the Sasquatch and Scirocco heads from Zephyr are the sharpest I have seen... hollow ground...

I have not had experience with some of the others listed.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
I have tried a lot of broadheads, its kind of a hobby of mine or maybe its a sickness, not sure which? But without a doubt Alaskan Bowhunting supplies Samurai was the sharpest. Their Massai was too.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
My experience is this...

Silver flames & Alaska Bowhunters Supply broadheads are side by side @ #1,  Abowyer #2, Steelforce #3, Stingers #4.  

I admit I never checked out the scirocco or Zephyrs..

I personally rate the abowyer heads pound for pound #1 based on price and you can use different ferrels for more weight choices. I'd never shoot steelforce but they are sharp! with stingers they are scapel sharp once I clamp them inmy simmons sharpener and go over the factory edges a few times with the ceramic rods (even the bleeders)

Stos get pretty sharp by doing this too!
"Us vs Them"

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Muzzy Phantoms

Steel Force as well but I've always felt they were a little weaker.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Of all the heads I have tried, Steelforce is the one I found as the sharpest out of the gate. With that said, I haven't found one head that I didn't run down my crock sticks a few times but it's a weakness I have. If it don't pop hair, it ain't going in my quiver...

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©