3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dacron strings on FF approved bows ?  (Read 468 times)

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dacron strings on FF approved bows ?
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I had the same results with the Dacron material David. But using only selfbows where I have to unstring the bow after using, I have to press down on the tips and stretch out the string each time I string up my bows. Takes something like two seconds.

But I've since gone to using a 50/50 blend of FF and Dacron so I don't have to do anything after stringing anymore.

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I use 12 Strands for up to 55 and 14 strands for up to 65 and so on . Been shooting b50  
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
Rob, most of the time I make 12 strand strings--sometimes 14--for all my bows that are 47-55# bows.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Art, I also unstring my bows after each use and do not need to restretch the string when I string them up again.  Dacron works great for me--I must be doing something wrong!  :saywhat:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
You aren't doing anything wrong.  You're just using a lot of dacron.  It gets around the stretch problem, but adds weight and robs performance.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Rob, most of the time I make 12 strand strings--sometimes 14--for all my bows that are 47-55# bows.
8 strands of df'97 (or comparable hmpe fiber diameter, there are many choose from and all are good), pad the loops to 12 or 14 strands = uber low stretch/creep, no noise or "shock", all the benefits of dacron without its hassles.  the resulting hi mod polyethylene bowstring will have a technical tensile strength in excess of 800#, whereas a comparable 14 strand b50 dacron (polyester) string *might* approach 700# on paper but technically be less than 650# at best.

worth a try.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
I can't really tell it robs performance--not to my eye.  I might get just a tad slower arrow through a chrono but I don't care about that as I get more than enough performance to get the job done.  Trad bows and dacron strings have been getting the job done for decades--before that strings were made of even less durable and functional stuff but still got the job done.  When is enough enough is a question each must answer for himself.  And yes, I do use more modern strings on some of my bows--normally the ones that come with it, but when they need to be replaced I usually make a nice dacron string--a good bit less expensive.    :)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by joe vt:
I have some limited use of skinny strings on a couple of longbows that made them even quieter and to my eye seem to be faster. But what I have experienced with these skinny strings is constant stretching. It takes weeks for the creep to be gone...

Joe, contact Josh Sowerby aka Oliverstacy, and ask about the 450+ skinny strings. They blew me away- very quiet, fast, very low creep (none noted after the first two days of being strung) and a nice "soft" feel at the shot. You may be surprised.

I have no bias against B-50. Thought the info about 450+ might be of help to those who have had similar experiences as Joe using other FF materials.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
david, it's not at all about any hmpe performance benefits (speed) if any - it's about consistency from shot to shot, no matter what the atmospheric conditions or how long the bow's been strung or plucked.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
I do.  B-50 is quieter on those I have that will accept Fast Flight.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by longbowray:
I shoot b-50 on all my bows
I do too.
(1) I still have lots of B50 left from almost 20 years ago.
(2) I'm Skeerd to try the less stretch stuff just in case one of my bows don't like it & say good bye.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
I build all my own bows to be FF safe . Thats just in case I sell one or build one for someone else and they put a FF string on it . I shoot dacron on all my bows and from my (not too scientific) experiments with a friends (not real expensive) chronograph 8^). FF only gains you 3-5 FPS on most bows (that includes some well known customs , not just my own bows )

3-5 fps is NOT going to make a difference in a real world hunting situation. I'll take a quiet shot over 3-5 additional fps every time.

Once you initially break a dacron string in and get it stretched the "creep " that people talk about is minimal . And golly gosh ,how hard is it to put a couple of twists in it to bring it back up to the correct brace height anyway ?

:dunno:
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rick Perry:
I build all my own bows to be FF safe . Thats just in case I sell one or build one for someone else and they put a FF string on it . I shoot dacron on all my bows and from my (not too scientific) experiments with a friends (not real expensive) chronograph 8^). FF only gains you 3-5 FPS on most bows (that includes some well known customs , not just my own bows )

3-5 fps is NOT going to make a difference in a real world hunting situation. I'll take a quiet shot over 3-5 additional fps every time.

Once you initially break a dacron string in and get it stretched the "creep " that people talk about is minimal . And  golly gosh ,how hard is it to put a couple of twists in it to bring it back up to the correct brace height anyway ?
   :dunno:  
Couldn't agree more.
My Sky Hawk for one I know is FF capable but I've always used B50 & my 2 Zona's too.
I stretch mine by using 100Lb weight on the finished string for a day.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Online joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
All my new dacron strings stretch for a day or two at the most. And when I say stretch I mean only maybe 3/8". I have never had an issue of dacron strings stretching crazy.....even if my bow is unstrung for weeks it takes mins for the dacron to get back to its proper length/brace.

I have no problem with using non stretch strings as along as they are quiet to my liking.....if not I enjoy the denefits of dacron   :)  

josh; 450+ uh.....maybe I will give a skinny string of this material a try.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Recently went to B55.  Have used it and B50 on all my bows.  Just works well and "feels" better to me.

Bows I buy that come with FF get a new handmade B55 string immediately.

My buddy chases the chrono with different materials and strand counts.  Spends hours and hours chasing the best performance.  When I let him play with one of my bows, he can get my bow shooting 5-7 fps faster than I can.  Hey, that's his bag and he enjoys it.

I just twist up a 12 or 14 strand B55 and start shooting.  I have yet to send an arrow through a chrono.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Online joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
I have to mention.....as with most bows shooting characteristics; each is subjective to the user.

What I consider noisy, maybe quiet enough to someone else.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
yep and when you are the one shooting the bow it is difficult to judge what is quiet . I have had times when I thought my bow was noisy and someone watching me shoot would comment on how quiet it was .
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Try shooting from inside or under a metal carport. Even "very quiet" can be heard.....at least it can to me.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Art B:
Try shooting from inside or under a metal carport. Even "very quiet" can be heard.....at least it can to me.
I used to shoot in a large barn, and if it was quiet in there, it was perfect outside.

The guy that has made all my strings since 1998, pre-stretches the B50 as he's building the string.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
heheheheh - even if we think our bows shoot "quiet", most critters will pick up the higher frequency sounds that we humans can't hear.    :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©