3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunter Orange?  (Read 523 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunter Orange?
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
How many deer have you killed with a traditional bow while wearing orange?
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunter Orange?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Just one. From a treestand, about 20' up.
David M. Conroy

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
multiple.... id say about 5.... from the ground
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
....and forgot to add... it was a blaze orange hat only
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
Once gun season starts I always wear orange.  Crazy cajuns and camo makes me edgy! hehehehehe
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Hmmm, never shot a deer while it was wearing orange,   :laughing:  --Sorry, just couldn't resist.  Actually none for me, but I could have.  I've had deer as close as 10 feet while I was dressed in orange.  They looked into the brush I was sitting under and were curious but didn't spook at all--just milled around until they decided they had important business eleswhere.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
Zero,,, when I put on orange, out comes the smokepole!    :help:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
David, I would have been disappointed if someone hadn't caught that! Thank you!  ;)  

I have had deer within bow range when I was standing out in the open, no camo, bare faced...but I stood stock still and of course the wind was perfect. They were not even curious. They acted as if they didn't see me at all. But if I had tried to draw on them...

So I wondered. Deer within bow range + the movement of drawing a bow + orange? I figured it's been done but just how common is it?
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
I've had a few in the past when I was using a compound but none since I've returned to Recurve 3 years ago.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
A couple weeks ago I climbed into a very low,6'-7' treestand that I hate but I knew there were whitetail bucks bedded in this canyon,it was dry and the only water was 30' to my left.That was the only tree big enough to hang a stand and there were even very few bushes.

Well,I ended up with 8 whitetail bucks around the tree and the biggest,a 10 pt with a rack exactly like a mule deer's,was feeding on a bush maybe 25 feet to my left.I tried to slowly draw the bow,he hears it and snapped around.I looked down and all my arrows in my bow quiver have blaze orange wraps and orange feathers and the deer was staring straight at me.I felt like I was holding a neon sign toward his face though I know they aren't supposed to see orange.When he turned for a second,I tried to finish my draw and he spooked.

I'm sure he was spooked by the sound.It was just too still an evening.I held that blaze orange blob toward him for a minute or two and he just didn't seem to pick it out and he was wired.

I have taken quite a few deer and antelope with a non-bow short range weapon from 20 yds and further.

If you want to hunt in rifle season,just wear the stuff and go for it.

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Two. In NC, during gun season, per regulations, you must wear orange hat no matter what weapon you are using.  During gun season, I will gladly wear my orange to assist in being seeing by gun hunters.  To many trigger happy people out there.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
HAven't killed any with trad bow while wearing orange---but plenty of CLOSE encounters while hunting the youth gun season with my bow....also,
Deer are color-blind----they do not see the orange like we do......while hunting w/ the muzzle-loader, I've had many deer look right through me like I wasn't there, as long as they didn't catch my wind or movement....
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Never tried, but just found a late elk hunt in my home county that starts Oct. 29    :readit:     :thumbsup:   that runs concurrent with some late blackpowder hunts so hunter orange is required. I'm at this very moment looking for a blaze camo vest.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
one myself. But thats cause i seldom hunt when i have to wear it. with that being said Dad has killed 2 140 inch plus bucks on the last two opening day of firearms in IN while wearing it with his Bob Lee from the ground.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
I bowhunt every chance I get until the end of our archery season. During firearm season I wear blaze orange and have taken 2 deer with trad gear and more back in my compound days while wearing orange.

I only hunt on private land during firearm seasons and then only if I know who I'm sharing the area with.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Do you think the solidness of the garment makes it easier for deer to spot you? I like to be out when there is some wind to help cover movement. With a solid orange hat or vest do you think the wind would help much?
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline kpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
I shot a WT buck last year at 6 yards from a tree stand that was about 14 feet above him.  BBO bow.
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever-Isaiah 40:8

Offline kpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
OH Yeah, orange stocking cap during rifle season.
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever-Isaiah 40:8

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
So fore 4
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
If you only are required to wear a cap,I wouldn't worry about it a bit.We are required to where 400 sq inches so that's like a vest.I worry a little about the solidness of that against a dark background but can't remember it ever costing me a deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©