3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cell phone while hunting.  (Read 1327 times)

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Cell phone while hunting.
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
I'm guessing most people carry cell phones with them when they hunt. I've been carrying one with me ever since I've had one. Most of the reason I take one is for safety sake since I hunt by myself on public land. I've been thinking about not carrying it lately. Part of the reason I hunt with traditional equipment is to get away from technology as much as practical. Seems like not carrying a cell phone would get me a little further along toward that goal. I'm still not sure because it would come in handy in case I would get hurt to the point I couldn't get myself out of the woods. I tell my wife where I'm hunting  but she's never been there and wouldn't know exactly where to lead someone to find me. Many years ago when I was single and before cell phones I would just go hunting and half the time not tell anyone where I was. Got away with that without anything bad ever happening. Anyway I'm probably over thinking it which I am prone to do. Just wondering if there is anyone else out there that purposely doesn't carry a phone with them. By the way I hunt on a small public hunting area (1000 acres) surrounded by towns and people.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cell phone while hunting.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
Go hunting. Turn your cell off and forget about it.

Yes people hunted for years without them, but better safer than sorry.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
I keep mine on "vibrate" in my bely pack.  It's the "dumbest" pre-paid Go Phone AT&T offers (under $10).  I'm not a big phone user in the first place and that's what part of I'm escaping from when I hunt.  Probably wouldn't notice if it ever did go off.  But if I fall and break a leg it could come in handy . . . if there is any reception from that spot.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
My brother fell 20 feet from a tree stand 10 years ago.  The one thing that maybe saved his life or at least his ability to walk was the fact that he had his cell phone with him.
i carry mine with me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
I take mine always. Safety factor and I have a wife and daughter at home that I want to get their call if they need me. Hunting is second to them.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
I take mine every time for safety but place it on vibrate in a camo case on the outside of my pack.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Don't hunt that far from home, but its a saftey factor. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Yep. You all are right. I'll carry it for safety sake. Like I said earlier, I think too hard about some things. Thanks for the replies.

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
I take mine all the time. I got a short hunt in this morning and forgot it. The whole time i was in my stand i kept thinkin about... what if I fall, i will have no way to get help.

take it for your family, if not for yourself

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Always have mine for the reasons everyone above cited. Just makes good sense.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Can't pick up anything where I live and hunt. I use to carry one in Fl., but never turned it on unless I wanted to make a call...in or out of the woods.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Yes, you think to hard about these things. Will you walk to your hunting spot rather than drive your vehicle to be more traditional? I like to keep things simple too but I think you can do that pretty easily. I carry my cell phone, use a safety vest and a lifeline. All new products and I am glad to have them to keep me safer. I owe that at least to my wife.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
The nice thing also is, if you are fortunate enough to arrow a deer, you can let your family know not to worry, and you will be running late.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
My Droid phone is always with me & I'll keep it on vibrate when I get into the truck that morning.

Since I have the NIV Bible & some other e-books on it, it also serves as my reading material when the times are slow. Saves on carrying a small book with me.

It's nice to get away from the technology but it's better to have that safety device available when you need it.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I'm with others on here. I carry my cell phone with me when bowhunting, but it's turned off. I carry the cell for emergencies.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
i carry mine just in case...never to text someone the deer are coming..
i like biscuits

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
I carry mine since I started having heart problems. That and the fact that I never could teach my wife to read smoke signals   :biglaugh:  

Troy

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
I look at it like a safety harness.  I won't get in a stand without one, and hope to the devil I never need it, BUT if I do it's there.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Enjoy texting my buds for nearly-live updates.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
Yup, wife and kids want to know if Dad is okay out there. Sometimes I forward pics of deer to them too. They love it. So do I.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©