3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cell phone while hunting.  (Read 1332 times)

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cell phone while hunting.
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Texting beats the pants off walkie-talkies when you need to coordinate with other hunters.  I finally got a signal where I hunt and it's been nice.  I can also send a nice text to my wife to help ease the guilt.    ;)    

That said, I usually turn mine off until I want to use it.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
I carry mine but it is normally set to silent or vibrate.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
No reception in any western areas that we hunt..............no problem.   :wavey:

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Would not go in the woods without it,on vibrate in the easyest reachable pocket.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Wow!!!! I never would have thought so many people would be afraid of their own shadows! I hunt in part for the solitude it afford me and I take the chances that any other "hunter" would take when doing so. I had a heart attack last year elk hunting and had to get out of some tough country on my own. Couldn't have called anyone if I had a phone since I hunt in country not serviced by those damn things. I am self sufficient and love it. Try it you might like it. FRJ

Offline emfunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
I always have mine on me, keep it on silent, for safety sake and to stay in communication with my hunting partners when we are all out.
"Go afield with a good attitude, and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk"- Fred Bear

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
I always have mine and have it on vib.  I can’t see not having it just in case.  I don’t worry about what if, but can’t see not taking and easy precaution.  It makes my old dad and the wife feel much better.  I hunt from trees, and I am not so young anymore.  That makes a big different in their comfort level.  They never worry if I am ground hunting.  

I also use if for my alarm clock, watch, camera, video camera, GPS and so on.  All of which are handy to have out hunting.  I also have a lot of bible version on it so I can catch up on reading or prep for teaching when things are slow.  Then there is the occasional peek to see what you are all up to on TG.

It is really handy to use to call to a friend to meet me in the field for some tracking and dragging.  I don’t hunt with anyone close to me.  We are typically miles apart.  When the pre-rut and rut are going, and we are setting longer hours, we sometime send short text like “saw a 6pt at 8”.  Kind of cool I think to know what your friends are seeing and when deer are moving for them.  It gives me hope deer will be moving around me.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by YORNOC:
Yup, wife and kids want to know if Dad is okay out there. Sometimes I forward pics of deer to them too. They love it. So do I.
My kids are elementary age so they love to get those e-mail shots of deer, coons, squirrels and such along with hunting updates.  Makes them feel part of the hunt.  Soon they will be going out.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
It's just becoming part of my regular equipment now,solely for the camera...
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
I've never carried one so don't even know if it will work where I hunt but I think they are a very good thing in case of an emergency.I hunt alone and often no one knows exactly where I am.I have been meaning to change that and reading this thread will do it.A lot of people in trouble have been saved by cell phones.I just think it's a good thing.If you aren't coordinating hunting efforts(which would be illegal here)it isn't changing the way you hunt,so don't sweat that little bit of technology.It just may save your life or someone else's.

Offline Roninrus1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
Go hunting. Turn your cell off and forget about it.

Yes people hunted for years without them, but better safer than sorry.
There it is!
My sediments exactly!!!

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
I carry it turned off, it's for an emergency and to call the ole lady when am done and headed home so she isn't worrying about me.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline PaPa Ron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
I always have mine, but I do not like to talk on the phone, even when I'm not hunting.

I will say that I had a ladder stand colloaspe out from under me and I'm glad I was able to get help only because of my phone.

It's funny how people pick and choose technology use while hunting. You can get bashed pretty quick if you use a Ozonics.
Sarrels BlueRidge SR 60" 52#@28
Tolke TD Recurve 56" 45#@
Dryad 17" Epic riser, multiple limbs

Jesus is My Savior!

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
"Part of the reason I hunt with traditional equipment"

Heck, if you're wanting to be traditional, shave with a straight razor like I do.....it'd be safer than hunting without a cell phone.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by B/W lvr:
Wow!!!! I never would have thought so many people would be afraid of their own shadows! I hunt in part for the solitude it afford me and I take the chances that any other "hunter" would take when doing so. I had a heart attack last year elk hunting and had to get out of some tough country on my own. Couldn't have called anyone if I had a phone since I hunt in country not serviced by those damn things. I am self sufficient and love it. Try it you might like it. FRJ
????  Huh? Seriously?
David M. Conroy

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
If I did not have mine my wife would not have been able to get hold of me in my stand to let me know her father was passing away and I never would have made it to the hospital in time to be there when he passed.

You can talk tradition, self-sufficiency, and no technology all you want.  Problems arise when you let technology control you NOT when you use it to your benefit.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by BOWMARKS:
Would not go in the woods without it,on vibrate in the easyest reachable pocket.
Yup! Longbow, wooden arrows, back quiver, wool plaid, HSS harness, and cell phone. Being trad is tough when you are dead. Be trad but be safe!   :readit:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Same here, turned off and packed away. Wife would skin me alive if I didn't take it with me.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
I have mine on vibrate. Family trumps hunting if they really need me(they know to call only if they really need me). I also went through the ice one year hunting and almost froze to death, a cell phone would have come in real handy back then.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
I always have mine- it doubles as a camera- video camera- and walkie talkie to communicate silently w others I'm hunting with.
TIM B

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©