3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cell phone while hunting.  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cell phone while hunting.
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
As a safety aid -great! When used as a hunting aid-no! Illegal when used as a hunting aid in my state!

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
I have mine on vibrate. Family trumps hunting if they really need me(they know to call only if they really need me). I also went through the ice one year hunting and almost froze to death, a cell phone would have come in real handy back then.
Unfortunately in your state you only have coverage about 1/3 of the time.  :D
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline bogeyrider63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
i also take mine and set it on vibrate. carry it with me for safety reasons, and if the wife or kids need to get a hold of me.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
I also went through the ice one year hunting and almost froze to death, a cell phone would have come in real handy back then.
I keep a double lock zip lock bag in my waterfowl hunting and fishing stuff for this type thing.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
I always carry my cellphome when hunting. A friend fell out of his stand and was injured severly and his phone was in his truck. Luckily his family knew where he was hunting on a small piece of property and they got to him shortly after dark. He completely recovered. One of my other buddies called me at 8:45 AM and I was onstand, being quiet and alert. He said "man I hate I messed up your hunt". I told no biggie, I have already killed all the deer I am going to today. Maybe tomorrow
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
Mine stays in the truck..............
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
Communication, manipulation of communication and technological advancements in communication were all part of hunting long before the bow and arrow was...

Offline Karl Kortemeier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Guy I work with bought me an I-phone.  He said I had to have it.  Have to admit Ihave become addicted to the thing.  I carry mine for safety as I hunt alone, and my wife would kill me if she didn't think I had it on me.  Most of the places I hunt do not have cell phone reception except for the ridge tops.  I guess I could drag myself up there if I really got hurt...

The thing that kills me about the thing is the mapping app from Cabelas.  I am a map and compass guy, but the topo map from recon hunt is way too easy to use.  I finally stopped using it because I was not paying attention to the terrain to keep track of my location.  It was doing all the work for me, and I felt like it was making me dumb, as if I were eating twinkies instead something healthy. That said, if I was ever to get confused, it sure would come in handy.

Offline Stick n' String

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Archery season falls in the middle of college football season and I am usually in the woods rather than in front of the TV on game day. Therefore, I find myself frequently monitoring scoring updates or connecting to live broadcasts of my beloved Fighting Texas Aggies via earbuds (usually only when I am hunting in a tent blind, however). As college football season wanes, I upload a good book on the Kindle app for my iPhone. The phone is simply more portable in the stand than a bulky book and is a lot easier to stow in the event a deer walks out.

Heck, there is nothing "untraditional" about pleasant distractions. I still take plenty of time to soak in the natural surroundings from the stand. The phone comes into play during the slow periods of mid-day when others, possessing fewer collective distractions in the blind might be tempted to seek the comforts of camp for the distractions lurking there.

As my grandmother used to say, "to each his own said the lady as she kissed the cow."

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
I have a pay as you go phone- I leave it on vibrate/ silent or off depending on the day- I have 2 youngsters.  I would use it for emergency( a friend of my stepdad fell out of his treestand a number of years ago-precell phone era-got paralyzed and sat at the base of the tree for a number of hours).  Hopefully I have to call home after the hunt to tell them I will be late dragging out a deer.  Otherwise, I do not use the phone much.
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Several years ago, before cell phones, I got into a quick sand bog while hunting alone. That day I had help from above. A phone is extra insurance. Plus I can call a friend to help if I bag a buck.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
Probably not traditional but I hunt for the fun of it and like to communicate with friends via txt.  I think txt is the best thing for hunting since.....  I will txt with friends hunting in different states and other parts of the state.  Just part of the fun for us.  

Because most of my hunting is alone I have at least one close friend or family member who knows where all my stands are and where I will be that day/night.  For some places we have a sort of pact that my friend will check on me if he has not heard anything an hour or so after dark.  Just a good safety tool that is very easy to carry.  

On that note - if you have it with you keep it "on" you.  Not real useful if you are laying under your tree all buggered up with the phone hanging back up there, tucked away in your pack.

Have fun and be safe

Bob Urban

Offline mgompf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
I carry my I-Phone on vibrate.
It is a safety issue, plus the I-Phone has some great GPS apps + a compass. This eliminated the need to carry multiple items. Also it is very nice to be able to snap pictures quickly and quietly during the hunt.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and
with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20
feet closer to God.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
I live in highly mountainous terrain so when I break both my legs and need to call someone all I have to do is climb a mountain to its highest point to get coverage.  And if one mountain doesn't work, just try another. And so on.  :knothead:
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
I carry mine on silent in my pocket. A friend had a heart attack in his stand several years ago and my wife insists I take mine with me, especially since I am hunting alone about half the time 4 hours from home.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
I always take my cell phone. Luckily, we get pretty good coverage over the whole ranch. You never know when you're gona need it.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
TX you need to find a crooked tree for that stand to work in. Joking aside I hope you come out of that one OK. We wear new and improved safety hanesses, which are not trad, because they are safe and smart; why not take a cell phone with you. i used to take a yahtzee game to keep me entertained, now it is angry birds on the ipod.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
I use mine to keep track of time and for the camera.
It stays on vibrate.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
I use mine while hunting. Since this is my first "smart" phone I've been using the app for maps. I can see topo of my hunting area and I can measure how far away from houses I am so that I stay leagaly 450 feet away.

I like the fact that if I need help if I get hurt or if I need help getting a deer out of the woods I can call for some help and like wise for any of my hunting friends.

I almost hunt alone and giving a call home to let them know I'm out of the woods and on my way home keeps the family from worrying.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
I always bring the cell phone along.  Even if I do an 18th century style hunt, it's in the bag.  I'll either keep it on vibrate mode or I use a ringtone that I made with turkey hen yelping and gobblers replying!    :D
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©