3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon tuning help please  (Read 258 times)

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon tuning help please
« on: October 18, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
I'm shooting a 52#@28" centercut longbow and I pull just abut 28"s. My arrows are Carbon Express Heritage 150's, spine .487.

I have them tuned pretty well with standard inserts and 125 grain field tips. They are cut to 29.5"s now.

I would like to shoot 100 grain brass inserts and 125 grain heads, essentially adding 90 grains up front, they show pretty weak with the current arrow length. I only have about 1/2" to maybe 3/4" that I can still cut off and have broadhead clearance from my hand.

My question is, will removing 1/2" or so from these shafts stiffen them up enough  for the extra weight up front? I suppose I could cut a few, but hate to get them too short. Thanks.
TOBY

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon tuning help please
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
1/2" will only yield maybe 5# spine difference from what you have now & it may actually be 2# difference.
Adding 100gr. up front will decrease the spine by almost 10#.

You say your current arrows are flying slightly weak?
Ever thought of going up in spine on the shafts & have them long?
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks Eugene,

I just bought a dozen new shafts based on posts I had made inquiring about the best spine with 225 up front. I understand everybody is different so it may not work for me. I may have to shoot the standard inserts.
Toby
TOBY

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Everyone IS different.I think Eugene is right.You just don't have enough shaft length to cut to make that much more point weight work.You could cut some shaft length to get in proper tune.I decided some time ago,when I really wanted something different,I would just put the arrows in the classifieds,lose a few bucks but get what I really needed.

I will tell you that when I jump to the next higher spine group,keeping exactly the same length arrow,I end up with an arrow that weighs app. 120 grs more.That is maybe 90 or so grs extra point weight plus heavier shaft.I like heavy arrows so that is fine but if you don't want to increase weight that much,don't be too quick to cut the heavier spined shafts till you see what is what.

225 grs won't give you enough FOC to make a tremendous difference and since you are talking about using the same head,maybe what you have is fine-unless you are shooting for more overall arrow weight.A stiffer shaft would get you that.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
I'm shooting two recurves - a 57@29" and a [email protected]" I draw 28.5"

Both are cut 3/16 past center with a velcro plate.

Your current arrows @ 29.5" with standard inserts and 125 grain points would be ridiculously too stiff for either of my bows. I shoot the same shaft at 30 7/8" long with 50 grain inserts and 125 grain points and they bareshaft perfect, if a tad weak at 30 yards or more.

I have been fooling with carbons for a couple of years, have bought oodles of arrows, and my conclusion is that there is still a lot of voodoo in it. When I move up to the 250's and build an arrow with EXACTLY the same dynamic spine it absolutely flies like crap, although it will bareshaft to the same point of impact, etc.. I read all the threads on here about carbon tuning, and I can't see where there is any objective answer available. I don't see how people can shoot as stiff an arrow as they do with most setups described on here.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
I just ordered a new Toelke Whip and spoke to Dan Toelke at length about carbon arrows.  My Whip will be 60" and 50# @ 28" but I only draw about 27" so my draw weight will only be about 47#.  Dan highly recommended the Heritage 150 shafts cut to 29" with 100 grain brass inserts and shoot a 125 grain tip.  He said this set-up should shoot like darts.  When I get the Whip (in about a week), I'll have the Heritage 150's ready and waiting.

You might call Dan, as he is most willing to discuss arrows and points.  He is a wealth of knowledge, for sure.

Best of luck.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©