3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Info on herters bow ??  (Read 392 times)

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
Info on herters bow ??
« on: October 18, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Thers a Herters perfection recurve for sale & the gent claims its a collcters bow, I dont remember of hear'n the herters name before, by chance anyone know anything about Herters ??
It's a twang thang,some people git it, some people dont.

Offline PhilNY

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Info on herters bow ??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
When I was a kid we couldn't wait for the next Herters catalog. Herters had everything for the hunter and had bows that were of good quality.
I have only herd good things about the perfection mag, but have never shot one. Try the history/collecting section and search for Herters.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
Herter's was the 'go to' mail order catalog in the 60s. If you were into hunting back then, there was probably a Herter's catalog at your house. I never had one of their bows, but I sure bought a lot of stuff through them. Don't know anything about collector's value, but I bet somebody on the collector's forum would. George Herter was an American original, a real piece of work. We could use a few more like him.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
The first bow I bought was a Herters Super Magnum Perfection 60 - 60" recurve - 50#@28" - I sold it to move to Colorado (one of the worst things I have ever done - selling the bow). Great lines - shot very well.
I'd like to get my hands on it again.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
Herters was the go to company for all things outdoors. We ran dogs, trapped, hunted rabbits, squirrels, and birds and all our supplies came from a Herters catalog. Wish it was still around. I own a 56" 45@28" Herters recurve; still break it out to hunt turkeys with occasionally. Not sure on collector status, but it holds a soft spot in my Heart.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
I repaired 2 over the past few years, both with the limbs snapped in two.  One was a perfection and the other called the international match hunter. I'm not sure what caused the breakage it didn't seem like the regular type failure.  It was like they were slammed in a door or somthing.  The breaks were too clean.  

-Mike
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Herters back then was like SEARS     they sub contracted out thier wares . GUns were made in their name by  very reputable firm in Germany.   I do NOT know who made thier bows for them but they were pretty high quality . MY brother- in law had one  and used it for years. I DO NOT remember the model. I shot it several times over the years and it compared favorably to my then, Bear Kodiak . I still use a lot of their reloading dies and other equipment that I have had for 40 years now . I still have a box of Herters Small game blunts for 11/32 shafts . I am tempted to use them   but They are more of a collectors item now.  Might even part with a couple at the Trade Blanket at Denton next year .
  Herters was a great company
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
Does anyone know who the Herters Bowyer was???  :dunno:

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
There are Herters recurves that have not blown up yet? they shot a quick arrow, had grips that some liked and others hated, you need a bow loader to load them safely. some had really nice rosewood risers. Lots of us had them, lots of us saw them explode as well, some us were not so good at not twisting them when trying to load them.  I wonder how mine is doing, I sold it almost forty years ago.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
I bought five bows out of a bucket in a secondhand store about 15 years ago.  one was a left handed Perfection Sambar.  The recurve was pretty radical and the limbs would twist very easily while stringing.  Once strung it seemed ok.  I sold it on the internet since there were no lefties in my family or friends.  Guy who bought it loved it.  Don't know how the long term relationship worked out.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
ah, the herter's catalog!  a pleasurable tome for both living room and bathroom.   :D

i had a few herter's recurves (remember the sambar?) and their itasca longbow - 70 inches and 57# of bone jarring, tooth rattling, straight limbed, recurve handled wood and glass.  not missed one bit.   :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
I bought my first dozen aluminum arrows from Herter's 1966. Came with free target points. They were silver and I quickly destroyed them shooting trees and the barn but man those suckers were fast.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Mike B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 05:01:00 AM »
Sergio, Herters bowyer was Robert Barrie,later made Rocky Mountain broadheads.

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
I have 2 Herters bows, I really love the International Match Target #37lbs, has Rosewood and is beautiful - shoots very well. The other bow is the Hunter @45lbs with Maple, not as pretty but shoots good, lots of wood in the handle! The Hunter was Cammo painted (factory) when I got it, I stripped it to see the wood and glass. I finished it natural, like it better than paint.

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
I heard 2 stories about the bow makers. One was the bows were made in Michigan, the other Germany? I don't know but would be interested to know.

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
bump

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Their Bowyer made their bows there in Minnesota at their plant.  I think his name was Barrie?  I talked with him one time about how he came up with the design for their takedown bow.  Even today, I think that is about the easiest and fastest td system around for a 3 pc. recurve.  Granted, it isn't the prettiest system (with those big metal brackets) but it sure was (and still is) functional.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Herters

OK, now I am feeling old.  I wonder how many of their catalogs I wore out.  Never bought on of their bows - but I did lust for them at the time.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
The first (and only) Herters bow I ever saw was on the outdoor range in the apple orchard at Purdue University in the fall of 1973.  I was shooting a Bear B Mag and this other fellow had a Herters. I don't know the models but it was a big-horned riser, sort of like Black Widow. The fellow shot it well. I think it was a 1-piece?

I've casually looked for a Lefty for a few years.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Bought a Herters recurve with rosewood handle back in the 60's.I hunted with it for many years till I bought a bear bow.It shot really well and the price was much lower compared to the major bow brands as was most all Herters stuff     :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©