3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you carry?  (Read 620 times)

Offline El gran J

• Trad Bowhunter
What do you carry?
« on: October 19, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
What do you carry out in the field?

I hunt close to home, so It's not like I need to carry alot out in the brush.  Just the essentials for a a day at the ranch, the truck is never really that far away....My Badlands Monster pack can carry everything I need.

Be Kind, Be Courteous, But always have a plan......

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you carry?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
It depend on the nature of the hunt. On long canoe trip based hunt, i will cary everything i need for the stay in the bush... but as for base camp type hunt, prety much like you(with out the hand gun...not alowed in Canada   :confused: ) I like to cary my small axe, it seems that i can do a lot with it!

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 01:26:00 AM »
For a day trip I'd carry a bit less ..... and certainly no handgun here in Oz !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline El gran J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
Our family ranch is 100 acres right on the Rio Grande river outside of Laredo, Tx.  If you don't know where that is, look on a map....I've encountered Illegal aliens, drug smugglers, and smuggler scouts.  Some of them armed.  They do WHATEVER they feel they need to do to get their contraband across.  Not all of us can hunt where you feel "safe".  I'm also allowed to carry a pistol because of what I do.  

Be Kind, Be courteous, But always have a plan to kill everyone you meet!!  It seems ugly but it's a reality down here because of the situation.
Be Kind, Be Courteous, But always have a plan......

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »
Always a compass, fire , water, knife, tp, and Springfield XDM .40 plus of course my bow and a quiver of arrows. Usually in a fanny pack.

God bless you, Steve

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 04:05:00 AM »
For a backyard hunt I take toilet paper, water,jerky, spare string, extra wool sweater,extra socks,file,550 parachord.in a fanny pack with a back quiver or the arrowmaster.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 05:46:00 AM »
Joey,

Are those Burris 8x42 Signature Select binos in your pic? What brand of cover is that on them?

I hunt close to home as well. I dont take more than can fit in my pockets. Knife, compass, snack, TP, lighter or firestarter and water. usually thats it. My woods are dense enough that I dont even take binos.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »
In my pack:
Drag rope
30' of para cord
Compas w/ maps of the area I'm in
Folding saw
Gerber Multi tool
2 calls
2 different lights w/ spare AAA batteries
Canteen of water
snack for the day
First Aid kit
fire starting gear
rubber gloves & trash bags
spare string, stringer, tab
spare glasses

On my person:
Neck Knife
Keys, wallet, cell phone
Knives of Alaska Light Hunter w/ Cape

No gun, don't have a CWP.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 06:49:00 AM »
Ok, I understand the handgun now and maybe even the monster flashlight.  

There is nothing "wrong" with anyone's personal choice, but of your gear I would drop the second knife, the portable fan, and switch to more packable disposable water bottles.  Just me.  

That is about what I carry except I add a compass and a lighter even if I am in Christopher Robbin's three acre wood.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline briarsdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
I usually hunt on my own farm close to the house so I don't need much. I do carry a good small flashlight, a grunt tube, knife, my Black Widow longbow and my handgun because there is a fertilizer plant less than a mile from my house and the meth cookers are busted on a regular basis on my road stealing anhydrous ammonia and cooking that crap!
Black Widow PLX Osage
Black Widow PLX Crossgrain Graybark
Red Feather Archery broadheads!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
As little as possible, but way too much.

I walk behind my house to hunt..but walk a long ways mostly uphill both ways. Too rough a trip for me to make it twice to pack game out in one day. But, that's not the real problem for me it's the cold weather. I have to pack in my clothes to keep from sweating going in. All my extra clothes plus what's needed to bone and pack deer out and all my other bare necessities really adds up.

If I know for sure which general area I'm going to hunt the next day I'll leave all my extra cold weather clothes, safety harness and rattling antlers etc. about 100yds from tree in a double trash bag and stash to pick up the next morning going in.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
It's funny how as time passes the amount of "stuff" I take to the woods decreases. This vid is a few years old, but there's some good info in it, so I've been told.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
I know its beating a dead horse, but I have to go along with El Gran. I hunt along the border here on a regular basis.  The biggest camp I have come across had propane bottles and cooking gear.  They come here and set up shop for how ever long it takes to do the job.  It is still our!!!! country.  I still hunt along the line.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
This past Saturday:

Banchmade Activator sheath knife on belt
Fenix PD30 flashlight on belt
Wallet w/license
Backtag
Handkerchief
Swiss Army Knife (Camper - daily carry)
Car & house keys
Comb
Bow
Hip Quiver w/5 STOS broadheads & two Ace Hex blunts
Arm guard
Finger tab
Spare finger tab in jacket pocket
Camo face veil
Safety harness
Deer cleaning gloves & organ bag (jacket pocket)
Marbles compass (jacket pocket)
25 ft of 1/4" line (jacket pocket)
Merino wool fingerless gloves

That's about it.  I went light.  No binocs, no water, no munchies, no matches or fire-starting gear.  No cell phone, even.  But then my stand is about 250 yards from my back door.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
Had to add a cell phone this year, per the little woman.  ...  She wasn't too happy last year when I came out of a tree I was trying to trim before the season....
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Always carry

COMPASS
Ancient Case stockman
Benchmade large Dejavoo
Binoculars
small headlight or flashlight or both
4 extra aaa batteries
small pruning clippers
leather gloves
old style seatbelt type safety belt (very handy item)
some paracord
two bandanas
bic lighter
small sharpening stone - DMT
extra tab

I do a lot of hunting in a wilderness area with very limited access - boat only, and if I'm there I carry some extra things and make a base camp, stay overnight, etc.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
A lot of the same stuff though when I'm in the low,open country hunting deer or antelope I probably take less because I'm closer to the truck.Always plenty of water,a Black Diamond headlight and a backup light plus batteries.A small camera,mine is a Panasonic DMC-ZS5,and some form of camera mount.I recently made a 1 oz monopod out of an arrow shaft,that breaks down and fits in my pack.

I used to carry 3 sharp belt knives in my pack plus a light,diamond sharpener.A year or two ago I changed to a Piranta with several extra blades.This weighs 2-3 oz.That's about the weight of my sharpener and eliminates 2 lbs of knives and all sharpening time.Very compact too.I can skin and cut up a large bear using 2 blades.I've been meaning to get a no cut glove for my left hand.I think it's a good idea.

I use a large fanny pack in the low country but take a large app 2000 cu in day pack in the mountains because I need to do a lot of layering and often more water and food.

I haven't carried a cell phone or GPS but probably should.A bright yellow emergency whistle is a good thing to throw in.Shooting in the air 3 times doesn't work well with archery gear.

The rubber gloves and bags are a good idea also.I really love a pair of Atlas 370 work gloves.They are light,provide extra grip and dexterity is great.I can reach in my pockets and get stuff with them on.Nice for climbing trees,clearing limbs,dragging,etc.

When I'm in the mountains I carry protection on my belt but don't need it in the low country.

I carry a Leatherman Skeletool.It doesn't have the kitchen sink but has the basic stuff plus an excellent knife and is compact and light.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
No handguns in Canada?  Really?  
TIM B

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
In the pack, folding saw, doe bleet, grunt tube, pruners, tp, compass, license, water bottle and paracord.  Selfbow or longbow in hand, ghillie suit in bag, arrows in side quiver.  Knife and .45 acp on my belt.
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
For my day to day whitetail hunting on a very familiar 80 acres, I carry just a are minimum.

Sheath knife
Havalon Piranta knife with extra blades
1-2 water bottles
a cliff bar and a larabar
1 gallon ziplock bag-for heart and liver
TP
Orange tracking tape
latex gloves
cell phone
whistle
grunt/bleat call
packable rain gear- for rain, or cold windy days
Fire starter kit

All fits easily into my fanny pack.

Obviously, if I'm hunting in a more remote area I may carry additional gear.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©