3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: making the change double.to single bevel  (Read 428 times)

Offline Badwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
making the change double.to single bevel
« on: October 19, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
Well a side affect of being me is not having the ability to leave well enough alone. After reading the Ashby report and other articles I'm making the jump, trading for some bonehead lites any advice, beside match bevel to fletch?
Brandon Moore
Rome,Ga

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: making the change double.to single bevel
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
They aren't a cure all, fix all.  Ya still gotta do the work.  Best of luck on the switch.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Badwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Understood, not lookin for a fix just a smarter choice... The facts behind single bevels seem to be good
Brandon Moore
Rome,Ga

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
I carry some of each in my back quiver (Zwickey Deltas and Grizzly El Grandes), but I usually find myself putting the old,  trusty Deltas on the string. I still want to shoot something with check Grizzlies just for comparison, but it's hard to change what works.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Benjamin199

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
I just shot a doe with the Abowyer bonehead last weekend. My arrow completely smashed through the offside leg bone on the way out, deer dropped at 50 paces with a good blood trail.  I was happy enough to order some more.  The edges remained shaving sharp, but the tip bent over a little, I gave Abowyer a call and they told me to send it in to them.  I shot a 550gr total weight arrow with 25% FOC, ( CX 400 spine with a Bone head, 43 gr adapter and 100 gr brass insert ) out of my 54# Kwik Styk.
Ben
Jack Kempf Kwik Styk  60" 54@30
Holm-Made Goshawk 64" 46@28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Do your part get them sharp and put them where you are supposed to and you wont be disappointed.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
The longer this single bevel idea gets kicked around, the more tempted I am to re-grind one of my 170gr Zwickey 2-blades. There was a post here somewhere before and I believe the end weight was somewhere around 146 gr. Think this will be fun to play with - after I have some venison in the freezer.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
I like mine, Grizzly 200 gr.

On the way in.

The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
On the way out.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
the main reason i am looking at them is the "spiral cut" which should create a bigger wound channel than a comparable 2 blade, not looking at bustin bone or anything,i have great penetration with my current set up, just thinking i could get more cut with a single bevel and its cut vs a std 2 blade..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Badwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dave Lay:
the main reason i am looking at them is the "spiral cut" which should create a bigger wound channel than a comparable 2 blade, not looking at bustin bone or anything,i have great penetration with my current set up, just thinking i could get more cut with a single bevel and its cut vs a std 2 blade..
X2
Brandon Moore
Rome,Ga

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Not trying to steal your post brother but check out this hole.

When someone talks about a two blade just leaving a slit I think they must be talking about a double bevel two blade, which also does the job by the way, I just happen to prefer single bevel because this is what I get. You can see the s shape curve to the hole and how it stays open.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
I would like to try some single bevels also, but just can't seem to make myself leave the Zwicky Delta 4 blades.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
The only single bevel head I've tried is the Abowyer Wapiti. I only use them for moose and large game. So far I've taken 2 shots at moose and killed 2 bulls (Alaska-sized), getting great penetration and wounds. I watched both of these bulls spin and fall. The main thing I like about this head is the super-heavy build and durability. I'm not ready to buy into the whole spiral cutting wound channel thing...yet. I find them extremely nice to sharpen, as there are only 2 bevels per head to address. All mine are nightmare-sharp.

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
They do twist. They want to rotate when I pull them out of my broadhead target and you can see the S curve if they hit a spot that isn't shot out.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
more pics please...

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
I"m not enamored with single bevel 2 blade broadheads. Yes, they do make a larger hole than a  regular double bevel 2 blade broadhead and they do make good blood trails, but the same can be said for a double bevel 3 blade broadhead.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
After a lifetime of shooting Bear, Zwickeys, and Magnus in both two blade and four(and a few others because an old bhd collector just HAS to try some others that seem so promising....), I have changed to the single bevel and the whole Ashby fandango.  In all these years, we've seen a lot of game shot with the great old heads, and I will readily admit I've never seen an animal well-hit with a razor sharp well-made broadhead that was lost.  Like many of you, however, I've helped search for animals that were never recovered and no one could ever truly tell what happened with them.  Much of my experience has been with deer size animals, however I have not found elk or other larger animals to be significantly different.  

Also, while I personally have little experience with 3 blade heads, some of the best hunters I know are SLAYING critters with them, and it's the same principle: good hunter, good shot, well constructed SHARP head, and that's all it takes.

Regardless of all that, I am incredibly impressed by the totality of Dr. Ashby's studies and results.  Most of his findings are based on animals with the bone structure of an armored vehicle(in comparison to a deer, anyway! .......look at the thread on the Africa forum for some skeleton comparisons.)  I remember when seat belts first appeared on cars....many people laughed at them and the crash test "dummies" that supported the development of all those additional safety features we "NEVER NEEDED BEFORE... ....unless we happened to hit something real hard!!!)

I never get behind the wheel intending to have an accident.  I never plan to make a poor shot on game or at practice.  Sometimes(!), I do. To my thinking, Ashby's work on arrow lethality shows some things I can do that increase the probability I will bring home the animal I shoot.  

While elk hunting last month, I had one big Magnus in the quiver with my Brown Bears, knowing that arrow was set up to shoot just like the others.  It was just a matter of having an empty quiver slot and just so many sharpened broadheads.  Had a one shot kill on a bear with that same magnus a couple of years ago.... ... I'll never hesitate to use such a good head.   However...had shot presented itself, my #1 and #2 arrows had single bevel heads on them.
Tom

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
Hey Dave, I too was thinking that the single bevel would produce a better bloodtrail due to the "S" shaped wound channel along with the penetration of a two blade.  Well, the first deer I shot this year with one didn't produce a blood trail any different than what I have experienced with a standard double bevel broadhead.  In my opinion, (based on 30+ years)the Zwickey 4-blades, Bear Razorheads,and other multi-blade broadheads put more blood on the ground with similar hits. (double lung, broadside)
 I don't shoot but around 47 pounds and my arrows are around 10 gpi so I don't expect to blast thru shoulder blades or other heavy bones with ANY broadhead.  What I do want is as much blood as I can get on the ground due to the thick cover I hunt in. I want the biggest broadhead that I can reliably get out the other side. Your experience may be different, but WITH MY SETUP I didn't see any great gains with the single bevel broadhead.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
I tend to think people are: 1)looking for a dramatic increase in broadhead performance, or 2)thinking they'll be surprised at how much better a single-bevel head does something. My experience has it that these folks will be disappointed. I have no interest in discussing all the small/finer points of what a single-bevel can or should do, vs a 2-bevel. These are well documented. The rub is how well these differences equate to overall better RESULTS for the user. The only reason I might care about a twisting cut is if it definitely ups my recovery and success rate. So far, that point has never been proven. It's a matter of taking all the information at hand and forming your own conclusion. If you conclude it's an advantage for you...hop aboard. I feel safe in saying that there will never be proof-positive that single-bevel heads produce a higher recovery rate, and in the end, what matters the most?

I really like oldbohntr's analogy to the Crash Test Dummies. Maybe this matter just takes a LOT of time and results to accumulate the data. So many variables to look at. How many different shot (crash) scenarios can you picture? How do you measure every one of these factors? Is it possible to prove that a single-bevel (seat belt) would have made a huge difference? One good experience is not proof...it's a tiny piece of data. How much good is a seat belt on side impacts? Think a single bevel from a 45 pound bow will bust through a femur or vertebra every single time? With nobody collecting date (who could anyway?) all we have to go on...for real world results...is anecdotal statements and evidence.

Don't buy a sbb for magically better outcomes. Buy it and know it's 100% as good as a dbb...and just might be a little better in some regards.  Or not.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©