3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: INDIANA DEER SEASON 2011 thread  (Read 832 times)

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: INDIANA DEER SEASON 2011 thread
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
John Scifres,

Pigeon River Fish & Wildlife Area, about 13 miles SW of Pokagon (23 by road), maintains 11,605 acres of land, 529 acres of lakes and impoundments and 17 miles of river. It’s one of my favorite places to bow hunt.

Opening day this year there were over 340 bow hunters, (and that’s a lot for here) I only ran into one other hunter all day. I feel that it is lightly used during early bow season. Gun season is a different story.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
One of those hot days in the southern part of the state I saw a nice mature doe and her two fawns. She was 30 yds with  a dozen of so sapling in between. No shot.

Saw the fawns twice and tried to call one to me. It came in...down wind. They learn quickly.  :rolleyes:  

Here at home I have yet to see anything while on stand.

nlester, I've been debating with myself about going out tonight. You make me want to get out there anyway!

Thanks everybody. I hope we can keep this going.
Hope you feel better soon Kris!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
Been down with bronchitis as well...had to cancel an elk hunt to MT.  Only been out twice here in IN.  Found two tresspassers on day 1 and day 2 I passed on a small 6 pt.  Hoping to get out a few more times this weekend.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Blackstick:
John Scifres,

Pigeon River Fish & Wildlife Area, about 13 miles SW of Pokagon (23 by road), maintains 11,605 acres of land, 529 acres of lakes and impoundments and 17 miles of river. It’s one of my favorite places to bow hunt.

Opening day this year there were over 340 bow hunters, (and that’s a lot for here) I only ran into one other hunter all day. I feel that it is lightly used during early bow season. Gun season is a different story.
Pigeon River FWA is a fantastic place and my absolute favorite Indiana public land hunting spot.  Just wish I didn't live an hour and a half away from it.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
I went out last night. Not this morning and should be right now. I saw no deer last night. The only entertainment I had was an assortment of song birds bathing in a small bit of water in the ditch.

This was a small corner of a corn field that we own that butts up against a nieghbor that has a 15 acre woodlot. The deer have to cross about 5 acres of a bean field and the fence is about knee high and there is a nice oak there which gives me a 12-20 yd shot. I've never been on stand back there and had a deer come through. But my husband was back there in his truck a few weeks ago and one come through and ate some of his corn for a while. So I was hopeful. It was a nice sit anyway.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline burnt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
Havent been since Indiana southern bow hunt. Thinking about going back down to brownstown to hunt Sat. Hope you get back to feelin good Sticks.
"TGMM Family Of The Bow"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Missed a doe Fri., No shots Sat. Saw bout 20 those 2 days. Went duck hunting with my wife today to clear my head.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
Got out a couple times this weekend and seen two does.

Still ain't feeling great but maybe I'll hunt the evenings thru the week.

Give me a holler sometime Rob.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
Well, I had an interesting afternoon yesterday.

I've missed more hunting days this year than normal - between the hot weather early and the rain last week I think there were 5 days I didn't get out so far - which for me constitutes going into whitetail-withdrawal.  I got pumped up late last week as there were some good rubs (4-5 inches) showing up in the grown over pasture part of the farm I hunt alot here near home.  Seemed to me that there was a 3 1/2 yr old buck messing around there, which is my standard around here for a "shooter".  This is the first real action I've found this year, except for some waterhole sits the first week of season.  Anyhoo, yesterday afternoon I slipped into my "sure-fire-super-duper" early season stand.  This is in the end of a finger of timber that sticks out into the grown up pasture, real heavy brush/honeysuckle and some pin oaks dropping acorns.  Visibility is very limited, but a real "bucky" early season stand.  Access is from the northwest up the draw the stand sits in the head of so I'm able to sneak into the bedding cover pretty well, and a southwest wind is perfect going back down the draw.  About 6.30 I heard a deer walking and spotted a big bodied deer coming and got a couple of flashes of what looked like decent antler through the brush. "Oh boy!" says I, "Here's my 3 1/2 yr old!".  I got lined up and ready and when he popped out of the brush at 15 yards I let him have it.  He peeled out and went about 50 yards into open timber then stopped.  As he was wobbling around I got my glasses on him...."Crap, thats not the buck I shot...he was WAY bigger than that!".  Turned out I was right on about the body size - he dressed 185, so was around 215-220 live wt - but the horns were a size smaller than I thought.  I figure he's either a real big bodied 2 1/2 yr old or, more likely, a late born "short yearling" that is 3.  Certainly wasn't the deer I had convinced myself he was.

Oh well, I got him killed cleanly, and that's always a bonus, and he died in a spot easy to get him out of.  He was the deer I wanted to shoot at that time and place - you pays your money and takes your chance - and in the end that is what matters.  Boy, the fire control center was really lit up on that one, though!  Moral of the story: check the horns twice before you drop the string!

I got an ace up my sleeve, though - two weeks off of work in November and a 500 acre farm to hunt in Northeastern Missouri - so the Fat Lady ain't sung yet!

Shot him with one of my old Jack Howard Gamemaster Jets - about 56 lbs at my draw - and a 600 grain carbon with a big Snuffer.

Best of luck to you all in IN...she's getting ready to roll next week.

Ryan

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
Nice buck Ryan! Most of us would be tickled to death with that buck! Thanks for tell'n us about it.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
I'd say that's a 3 year old.

I'm taking my wife's 16 year old cousin this weekend to Parke County.  This is his first bow season so I hope we get him into something.  The word from the landowner is positive:

Sure have been a lot of deer and especially a lot of bucks out and about....
Assuming we get the promised west wind, I got a great ladder stand set up for the boy.  And a nice spot on the ground for me and the leafy suit.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
Ryan that is a big bodied deer Nice rack too. I wouldn't pass on him but that's me.

Good luck John.

I have been having a hard time getting into it between getting sick, coal mining and working around the homestead. Then again maybe I just need some cool weather and the right moon phase to get me rutting LOL
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
I've been getting out a lot in S. Indiana--Scott County to be exact.  I have seen one really big Buck and he surprised me by jumping up out of a soybean field where I assume he was lying down---I was walking along its edge about 3:30 in the afternoon on my way to a woodslot at the end of the field.

Mostly it has been hot and dry although we've had a few cool days here and a little rain last week.  Yesterday (Monday 24th) I saw a big group of does and 2 small bucks---also a few early scrapes---maybe by month's end things will begin to really move with the big boys who mostly stay out of sight here.

Best of luck to all you Hoosiers --- hope we all can post photos similar to Ryan's.

Joe

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Way to go Ryan!  Great looking deer! He will certainly provide you with some fine eating.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Nice going Ryan.  

Seeing more and more activity as the month goes on.  Had a 6 pt. trying to pick on a spike on Sunday morning.  Friday will be my last day of work for a while.  Hopefully one of the bucks I am getting trail cam pics of will walk into one of my arrows next week.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
ttt

For those able to get out this weekend. Not me. My weekend on. My next chance will be 11/1/11, I think that's a Tues.

:campfire:
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Woke up yesterday at 2:00 am with severe pain all over and spent the past 18 hours or so in bed with the flu.  First time I've been sick in years.  So I am stuck to living vicariously through you all.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
I'm watching from the side lines to. Wanted to get out this weekend but I pulled a muscle in my shoulder at work and I can't pull a bow.
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline nlester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Kris and John,
Sorry to hear you guys are down and out.  I believe the hunting is getting better.  Went Thursday and Friday evening and seeing some movement.  Sure would like to close the distance.  With this selfbow, buttons, spikes, fawn with spots are all fair game.  :)
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
   fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
Ive been struggling this year.  The deer activity has been way down the last ten to twelve days.  Havent seen a buck bigger than 120" inside of 500 yards.  We have several trail cam photos of deer well over that bench mark just haven't laid eyes on one yet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©