3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: INDIANA DEER SEASON 2011 thread  (Read 831 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: INDIANA DEER SEASON 2011 thread
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that John and Kris. I will do my best to shoot one for you in the morning. I got talked into duck hunting this morning. Thats hard to do without meat in the freezer.  :banghead:

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
Well I have been seeing quite a few deer but haven't been putting any in the freezer.  My youngest son decided to show me how it was done this morning.  He has been out shooting me all summer so I wasn't too suprised when he texted me this morning that he killed one.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Ver Nice Buck,congrats
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Nice buck !!

Kris and John are sandbaggin' us...  :p  
Heal fast and get out soon guys!!

Was out for an afternoon sit today..

long about 5; ten(10)hen turkeys were marching around and sounded like a herd of bowhunters movin around!!

The ladies paraded by in front of me about 25 yards out. Not a beard among'm....

Bout 6:30 ish, two does at 65-70 yards north of me; wind from the WNW, on my feet and start north.... YEP!! forgot about the ladies  :knothead:  

Two steps into the clear and whoosh,flappity flap..the ladies moved and sqwauked and they did not use their "inside" voices either!!

Good day in my book. Ten hens are the first turkeys I have seen on this property. Deer are up and moving before dark and just after light.

Gotta hit the road so no hunt in the a.m. and wouldn't ya know; it's gonna be a SSE wind!!
That seems to be the best wind to hunt the middle of the property...

Good Luck and Get Wells to All!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline burnt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
Kris and John sorry to hear your both down.
"TGMM Family Of The Bow"

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
That is a pretty buck!

The last time I was out was about a week ago. Tried a little rattling. I didn't see any deer but a redtail hawk landed in the tree about ten yards above my head. That was pretty cool.

John and Kris, I hope you aren't down long.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
I hit it pretty hard this weekend. Stayed on stand until early afternoon Saturday and I just got in today. ZERO deer seen! Traditionally, the last weekend in October is when I start seeing the rut activity kick in.

Wandered over to the other side of the property when I climbed down and checked the funnels and field edges for sign and replaced my trailcam cards. No sign to speak of, although the way the leaves are falling if you want to see fresh sign it will probably be seeing the deer leaving it! A few fresh rubs and some secondary scrapes on the edges, but not what I am used to seeing.

In September I was averaging 75-100 photos between the 2 cameras with 75% of them being deer with several coons and turkeys. The 3rd week of Sept. one camera had 127 photos in a 5 day period!! Today's total photos between the 2 cameras for a 8 day period-17! 3 of does, 3 of coyotes, 7 of turkeys and 4 of what I guess of falling leaves.

Hopefully this week will get things kicked in high gear! I plan to get out at least a couple of afternoons thru the week and all day on Saturday.

Good hunting to all and Hunt Safe! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Haven't seen squat all weekend long. It should get better soon. Maybe it's just the deep breath before the jump....

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
I'm finally feeling better and plan on hittin it hard til the firearms season. I think my neck is finally starting to swell LOL

Seen a couple nice bucks crossing the road in an area I hunt from time to time so I may do some sitting in that area after work in the mornings.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Dang, we must be one punny bunch of hunters. Every since the Trad hunt in IN I've been down as well. I went to the OH Trad hunt, but spent more time just sitting in camp than hunting. Flair up with my UC has me holding tight to home. Meds are starting to work so I'm hoping to be in the woods in the next few days. Rut is starting to kick off and I don't want to miss any days if I can help it.

Troy

Offline briarsdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Congrats to the guys with deer down. I am still trying.Last sunday I had three different bucks running does around me. The biggest of the three wouldn't come any closer than 40 yards but he did respond to grunting. I got a good show with his ears pinned back and postured up pawing the ground looking for the other guy in his territory. A little 6 point and a spike walked within shooting distance but I am gonna hold out for something a little bigger. I have next week off work and I plan to hit it hard, I usually have venison in the freezer by now but I am commited to doing it with  my longbow this year so it has been a little more diffucult but it will be worth it when or if it happens. Good luck to all of you still trying like me.
Black Widow PLX Osage
Black Widow PLX Crossgrain Graybark
Red Feather Archery broadheads!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Sat in my stand last night and seen a few does but didn't take any shots. Hard for me to drop the string that late in the evening on a work night knowing that I'll have to hurry up and get it dressed and out of the woods then hurry home and go to work.

It was nice to see some deer moving though.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
Been out about 3 or 4 times and haven't seen nothing. Gonna hunt hard the next 2 weekends and hope somthing good happen's. Good luck guy's and gal's!

Jason

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
I'll be at it all day tomorrow, good Lord willin'.  My wife's cousin can't make it so it'll just be me and the deer, and squirrels, and landowner cutting fire wood, hopefully not too close to me.  The deer are used to him though  :)

A couple years ago I was hunting near his private road and he walked his dogs past me and I thought it was over for the morning.  10 minutes later, a doe walks by.  I'm pretty sure she was waiting for him to pass before crossing the road  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
I had a buck (I think) pass me at over a hundred yards on Tues night. It was getting pretty dark by the time he came by.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Its been pretty slow this week.  I was hoping this waether change would get the deer moving a little better.  It did I saw 8 does and 2 small bucks today.  I had 6 of these within 20 yards.  Killed one of the does just before dark.  It may take a while for me to dry out though.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
I hunted all day today.  In the morning I sat a natural blind that I killed a deer at last gun season.  The morning started pretty slow other than blowing one deer out on the way and getting winded a little later.  Then about 9 I hear the telltale noise of a chase.  Not 10 seconds later a very large 10 pointer shows up 40 yards away.  The doe is coming up the trail I'm on but gets turned and the buck followed.  He was really wide, maybe 18" inside.  I gunkilled a 155" deer a couple years ago and he wasn't much smaller than that.  Sure would have like to get him.  I went back to the car for lunch and talked with the landowner a bit.  

Then I went and hung a stand near where the chase happened.  But, the wind was all wrong and I knew I'd have to get lucky.  I didn't.  It was a great day to spend in His creation adn I am glad I got to do it.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Had a good morning. Get the story on my "Longbow makes meat and bone" thread.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Saw that thread first Rob. WOW! Congratulations!. How did your buddy do? I'm guessing not as good as you! What do you think he scores?

Bona
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Nice buck!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic: