3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Obenauf's Heavy Duty Boot Grease  (Read 289 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Obenauf's Heavy Duty Boot Grease
« on: October 19, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
I'm looking to get something to "revitalize" my old hunting boots. They are leather and after cleaning them up good and letting them dry, over the summer, I noticed that they sure looked like they could benefit from a good leather treatment.

I've been looking and comparing for the past couple of months and have it narrowed down to either Montana Pitch Blend or this product that was developed by a firefighter from Idaho.

Here is a link that will tell you about the product.....I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting this, but if I am.......please feel free to remove the post.

Whatta ya'll think ???

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=30  

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Obenauf's Heavy Duty Boot Grease
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
I have had great luck with the Obenaufs.  I used it on my leather hunting boots for a couple of seasons and was very happy with it.  That being said I also use the Montana Pitch Blend.  They are both great products and I think you'd be very happy with either of them.

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
Tough choice, they are both great products.
    I use Obenauf's on my Boots and Montana Pitch Blend on most of my other leather including bow grips.

Obenauf's is a bit thicker, it is also recommended by a couple of top Boot makers "White's" and "Russell". Just my experience.

Pat
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
Great Stuff I use it on everything I have you cant go wrong with it.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by FerretWYO:
Great Stuff I use it on everything I have you cant go wrong with it.
X2
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Can't say about the Montana PB but the Obenauf is good stuff. Just put some on my Arrow mocs last Friday. It goes on my hikers as well. Probably either would do the job.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Thumbs up on the Obenauf's (and Montana Pitch Blend).

I would suggest not using it on boots the night before heading out. It can remain sticky for a day or two (less when using some heat like a hair dryer).  If worn while still sticky the boots really attract a lot of dust. Of course, I may just hunt dusty areas.

Good stuff.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
I use Obenauf's to treat all the knife sheaths I make. Very good product.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
I've been greasing up mountain boots since the '70's and Obenauf's is by far the best boot treatment I've ever used.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
Thanks everyone !!!! I'm gonna place an order today, and ya'll made the choice a little easier for me. I'm sure that the Montana Pitch Blend is some good stuff too, but I'm gonna give the Obenauf's a try.

Thanks again.........I value the opinions very much and that is why I posted the question. I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Winterhawk1960

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
I've used just about every brand of leather treatment for hiking/hunting boots in the last 40+ years and Obenaufs is by far the best I've found.  It soaks in well without being greasy and protects better then the others.  

I've used Montana Pitch blend and it's OK but Obenaufs is better on anything that lives in a highly abrasive environment like boot do.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Used both of them but I have to give Obenauf's a plug as well, really good stuff and smells like beeswax/honey.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
Obenauf's!   :thumbsup:   All i use on my leather boots. The stuff really works well. I reapply when the leather feels like it is drying out.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
i seen last weekend here in missouri the cabelas is carring it..awsome stuff..been using for 10 years...

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
Winter Hawk my son works as a wildland fire fighter. Those guys swear by Obenauf's. If the leather is dry get the oil and use that first when the leather doesn't soak up any more oil put a coat of the paste on and you will be good as new.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fallguy:
Winter Hawk my son works as a wildland fire fighter. Those guys swear by Obenauf's. If the leather is dry get the oil and use that first when the leather doesn't soak up any more oil put a coat of the paste on and you will be good as new.
That is exactly what I'm gonna do !!!! I bought the "small kit", which includes the oil, paste and a spray water repellant. Hopefully it will arrive either tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.

Winterhawk1960

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
I don't know the Obenauf's, have used the Pitch Blend, but just coated some items (boots, knife cases) with Scott Teaschner's leather care products. The Saddle Butter and Dri-Boot waterproofing. Not expensive and looks good, really brightened up the old leather Bean boots. Softened up these old leathery hands too! This season will be the field test.
Scott makes some pretty fantastic looking leather products. A midge expensive, but the heirloom stuff always is.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©