3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Miss October  (Read 832 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Miss October
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
Tom, I love your threads man. The planning, trail cam and the sat-pics add so much to the story. Can't wait for more   :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
With my bow up and ready I slowly turn to follow her movement. I’ve stepped out to the far edge of the platform to allow the elbow of my string arm plenty of space to miss the stand tree’s trunk and I could only hope the harness tether would not interfere with my elbow when I draw. The wind was holding steady out of the west and the smaller doe was directly to the south of the stand. My heart was racing! Showtime was just about on top of me! The larger doe stepped out from behind a tree that was covering her vitals where she stopped slightly quartering away at 10 yds. and the predator in me screamed NOW! All systems say GO! Bending at the waist, I feel the pressure of the string increase in the creases of my string fingers. All my focus is on the point where I have mentally drawn a line through the doe’s chest to the elbow on her opposite side. I feel the newly purchased leather glove touch the corner of my mouth and the first joint of my thumb hook behind my jaw and with that the mental trigger release has been hit and I relaxed my string fingers.

With the release 56# of bow weight that I had pulled back rips from the split fingered grip that I had on the Morrison, Dakota longbow bowstring allowing the string and white fletched Carbon Express, Heritage 250 arrow to lurch forward. In a blur the entire arrow disappears into her smooth brown coat. The thump of the bowstring is masked by the sudden eruption of the rustling dry leaves and the breaking of deadfall as the doe uses her last seconds of energy to violently explode to the west out of the timber. Short of large tree trunks, nothing in her path is safe of being mowed over. In just milliseconds she has busted out of the timber and into the CRP field. Upon breaking through the tree line she makes an aggressive break south all the while continuing her hard low to the ground run. I follow her movement and catch the last of her broken form through the twisted maze of vegetation that makes up the southwest corner of this block of timber. In the morning sunlight that illuminates the CRP field I see a flash of white and some sporadic movement and I say in a low whisper “she’s down!”

Shaking from the adrenalin rush I slowly slip my phone from the pack that is hanging from the subordinate trunk of the stand tree and awkwardly text Chris “Doe shot! Another doe still near     :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
Congrats Tom! I really enjoy reading your stories and the pics. Thanks for sharring.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
Way to go, Congrats Tom!!! Hope you get a shot at one of the big boys soon too! Nice doe.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Great story.  Thanks.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
out standing
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Good job with the hunt AND the story, Tom!  Congrats and thanks.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
Love the story - except the texting part - but the hat more than makes up for that.    :thumbsup:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Great story.  I hope the scent from all us tag along hunters doesn't ruin your hunting area!

Good luck with those bucks this fall.  You've got some nice ones there.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Congrats Tom!   :bigsmyl:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing and congrats on a fine animal.
Leland

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Outstanding detail my friend...congrats!!

I have a question...in the trail cam pix....aren't the first two pix of "Gimp".  I know you labeled the 2nd one "Handsom", but he looks to be "Gimp" from the look of his leg in the pic?  What I can see of the rack, it also appears to be "Gimp"....just an observation, I could be mistaken though with having the capability to zoom in....

Anyway...awesome thread brother!    :notworthy:    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Good job. Nicely presented and well told.
I like the aerial photos of your home/hunting grounds. Great looking cover.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Guru:
Outstanding detail my friend...congrats!!

I have a question...in the trail cam pix....aren't the first two pix of "Gimp".  I know you labeled the 2nd one "Handsom", but he looks to be "Gimp" from the look of his leg in the pic?  What I can see of the rack, it also appears to be "Gimp"....just an observation, I could be mistaken though with having the capability to zoom in....

Anyway...awesome thread brother!     :knothead:

An interesting side note that may tie in with Gimp is, in 2008 I had a 1.5 year old buck walk in from of my stand and his front right leg was pretty banged up. He was really favoring the leg. I felt sorry for him and I contemplated shooting him but then decided to let him pass and figured I would watch for him and if he looked like he was getting worse I would end his suffering. I never saw him again all season or any sight of predation so I figured he was just passing through and probably looking for a home range to call his own. Now I’m getting pictures of this guy and looking at his body, I thinking Gimp might be the right age to be that little buck from 2008. This is the first year for getting pictures of this buck so it could be him. Of course this is totally speculation on my part, but I would like to think that the two are the same.

I'll check it out and get back with you in a PM.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Good job Tom    Yep same two happy faces I saw in June.   :wavey:      :thumbsup:     :clapper:  Kip

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Congrats buddy!   :thumbsup:    :D  

Great story telling as always and nice picks too.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Tom, great story and pictures, congrats   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Tom great write up as usual bud! Congrats!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
Good job TP. You spun a good yarn and we  appreciate it. It was just like being there without having to gut and drag one. UB

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Way to go Tom!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Great story telling!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©