3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Name on a new bow  (Read 418 times)

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
Name on a new bow
« on: October 19, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Does a bow loose its re-sale value if you have the bowyer put your name on the bow? Example " Custom made for Joe Blow" How many tradgangers have had there name put on a new bow?
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Name on a new bow
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
Never had a custom made for me but I know I won't buy a used bow with a guys name on it. That's just me though. Most folks probably don't care.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
I never think about resale when I am buying a bow. I just buy what I want, how I want it.

Killdeer   :dunno:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
I agree with Killdeer.  But I have bought used bows with names on them, they seemed to shoot just as well as those with my name on them.  I will always have something put on any bow built for me...just my thinking is get it how YOU want it.

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
I always have my name and even dedications on my bows!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Yep me too, and if it bothers you that much you can always have it removed with a little work.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
I don't like my name on them.  Two of four have come with it anyway.  Make sure you are very specific about it one way or the other.  I don't care to have a name on a bow or otherwise.  Something other than a name and not objectionable is ok with me.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Rather not have someone elses name on a bow, but sometimes it gives me someone to talk to... especially when I do something stupid.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
I bought a used bow with another guys name on it a while back. It bugged me so bad I went to the bowyer (who just happened to be a good friend of mine) and had it removed and replaced with my name. Everything felt right after I did that.

BTW, it only took about an hour for him to remove the other guys name and put mine on it. I only had to give up one day shooting it to let the finish get good and dry.

Bisch

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
I just bought a Blacktail bow. I didn't put my name on it because I don't believe I own it in the truest sense. While I think it's fine for others to put their name on their bows so it can be identified, for myself I just thought it was petty - that I was assuming my self importance was more than it should be.

My decision had nothing to do with resale because I'm pretty certain I'll never resell the bow.  

I sat in a treestand a few days ago looking at the bow and marvelled over the woods used - two central American woods in the riser and veneer, Asian wood in the limbs and Oregon wood in the accents.  It reminded me of how archeologists have found 12,000 year old arrow heads made from stone that was transported hundreds of miles and woods likely transported from Oklahoma.  Somehow I see the mysticism in the confluence of man's spirit and nature's.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
I don't mind a name on a bow but what gets me is when a bowyer puts the date it was made because then if the wife sees it I can't use the old line..."Oh that one I've had it for years" or " Oh that one? It's an old bow I just haven't shot much that's why you don't remember ever seeing before"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Have the bowsmith put "To my friend Johnny Depp" on the limb face.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline El gran J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
I have a friend give a longbow as a gift to his fiance with the inscription "Will you marry me?"  I have to really want a bow to buy it with someone elses name on it??
Be Kind, Be Courteous, But always have a plan......

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
The only bow I've bought that had someone else's name on it turned out to be my favorite bow.  It doesn't bother me that much.

Online hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
I have a Widow with someone else's name on it. The way I look at it that name saved me $500. Does not bother me.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Doesnt bother me a bit..... I either like a bow or not, the overall fit and finish is more important.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Most of the used bows I've bought have had someones name on them.  In each case I've had them tell me some of the stories that go with the bow.  What its killed and where its been.  I think it adds to the value to know what its history is.  It also lets you talk to it and remind it of what its supposed to do when the time comes.  Its been there done that.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
I agree with Map,it could be intriguing to know the stories behind a bow.

To find a name on a vintage bow just add interest to it,who he was?

It is so easy to erase a name,few seconds and some finish!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
i prefer no name but thats just my opinion

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the response. Looks like it is split 50/50. Thinking of ordering a Black Widow at the K-ZOO show in January. I would probably keep it for a long time.Not sure on the name. I bought a Kodiak Mag off flea-bay back in 2005 and it had a name scribed in the glass "Terry Pick". If any one knows Terry tell him I have his bow.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©