3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Razor Sharp Edgemaking System  (Read 256 times)

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
Razor Sharp Edgemaking System
« on: October 20, 2011, 06:57:00 AM »
I was reading up on this system and was looking for some feed back. I love my KME sharpener but was looking at the touch up wheel for final honing of my single bevel BH.

Is it worth the $50.00? I like the idea of a quick touch up to put a razor edge on it. But in the same aspect I also have to buy a table grinder so thats another $60 or so.

Thanks
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Re: Razor Sharp Edgemaking System
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
I have a set of paper wheels and hardly use them for broadheads. I dod use them for kitchen knives and such and they work pretty good. The problem for me is that with any sharpening system, you have to hold the sharpening angle exactly the same or you mess up the edge. I cannot do this without some sort of guide so I stick with my KME for getting my broadheads razor sharp.

Bisch

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Give this a try it's cheaper than the $120.00 or so you are thinking of spending.When I touch up my single bevels,double bevels and all my knives, I just use my KME knife sharpener till I finish with the extra fine black stone. Then I polish with some "Mothers" paste on cardboard and final strop on a clean peice of corrigated cardboard. Final product is super scary sharp.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
I have the Razor Sharp system and love it.  It gets things scarry sharp in seconds.  I am thinking of also buying the KME system because, it's a little hard to take the bench grinder to elk camp.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
They produce the sharpest edges I've felt and fast. I just could not get the paper wheels to run true. I would stick with the KME.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys....  :wavey:
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I have one, like mentioned before its tough to hold a consistantangle to the wheel. I've done some heads that are freaky sharp, and others I couldnt get. Works great for my fillet knives. If I could come up with some sort of jig to hold the blade angle steady, that would make life a lot easier.

Im shooting Woodsmans now, so it doesnt get a lot of use.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Autumnarcher:
I have one, like mentioned before its tough to hold a consistantangle to the wheel. I've done some heads that are freaky sharp, and others I couldnt get. Works great for my fillet knives. If I could come up with some sort of jig to hold the blade angle steady, that would make life a lot easier.

Im shooting Woodsmans now, so it doesnt get a lot of use.
I was really just interested in the polishing wheel. I can get the angle with my KME. I would just want to get that last finishing edge that I just can't seem to get.  Don't get me wrong, by single bevels get really sharp just not what I hear people getting them on here.

I found a paper wheel system for $34 so Ill give it a try and see what happens.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
Without a doubt it was a great investment. It is really simple to use . I start from the back of the broadhead and slide it quickly to the point. On a single bevel abowyer brown bear I went from dull to super sharp in 22 seconds. The polished edge also seems to really hold up. The key is getting the bevel angle right. I hold the bevel edge on a non spinning wheel and rotate the wheel until the broadhead is vertical. I note the position on the wheel and just hold the head vertical and make the passes at that spot. You dont have to guess angles once you figure out the "vertical" spot. Keep in mind I just started using the wheel a week ago so it doesnt take long to master. I do keep a KME and diamond stone in my pack for field touchup.
DonD

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
BTW , if you are setting the bevel with the KME you will only need the paper polishing wheel . For single bevels it is 1 pass on each bevel and 1 flat pass on the non bevel sides.
DonD

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
Do you get the broadheads truly shaving sharp?

And when you would normally flip the single bevel over to knock off the wire elge do you just use a stone to do it or do you use the wheel also?
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
disregard last question on single bevel.....I just read your next post

thanks
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
I get the single bevels truly razor sharp. The first couple times it might take you, say, a minute. Pretty soon you'll get to 22 seconds. If the heads are really dull or rough you may need to re bevel with the KME first or use the grinding wheel.
DonD

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©