3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dan and Cam Invade Australia!  (Read 2030 times)

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dan and Cam Invade Australia!
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »
:campfire:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
What a great experience...can't wait for the rest!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
Its impossible for me to recall all the stalks and shot opportunities of this hunt. Most of em ended up with us getting winded by the ever changing breeze that seems to be what Cape York hunting is known for.  If a pig or bull was spotted, we had to be johnny-on-the-spot trying to get in range before the wind swirled.  Sometimes the pigs were just on alert and busted us from afar, and other times they just disappeared by the time we got to where they were.

On the 4th day, while I was doubled over, coughing up brown stuff that was the consistancy of bearing grease, Mick said, "Lets go kill you a hog."  I grabbed my pack and my longbow and we set off for a small swamp that was about a mile down the road from camp.

We eased up to the swamp and took a seat on some logs, so we could over look the area and see if any hogs were moving. The ducks, spoonbills and parrots had caused a ruckus when we walked up, which could've ruined a stalk for us if we had seen any pigs.  After about 10 minutes or less, a tree about 50 yards away with a large exposed root system seemed to come alive with pigs. Me and Mick slipped our boots off and proceeded to try to slip into bow range of one of them.  However, before we got there, the boss sow had lead the rest of the pigs around the edge of the swamp to the opposite side.  Me and Mick backed away into the surrounding trees, and began parallelling the pigs on the opposite shore, hoping to cut them off.  Mick stopped often to glass the hogs to keep them in sight. Suddenly, Mick said, "How did we miss that boar that was laying there?"  Sure enough, a boar had been bedded on the opposite side from us, but had only gotten up when the birds started raising hell at our movements.  When the birds stopped, the boar laid back down.  

Me and Mick then focused our energy on trying to get me within bow range of this boar.  Once, we came within 20 yards of the group that we had originally set out to stalk, and I nearly killed that sow, but Mick pulled me away from her, and assured me that I wanted this boar.

The boar had repeatedly laid down, stood up, and laid back down. All his actions were governed by these squawkin birds that were trying to give us away.  Finally, the birds went silent, and the boar laid on his side, with his belly facing me, and his head to my right.  Mick turned the stalk over to me about 40 yards out, and told me that the boar had a tree in front of his head, and that I needed to keep it there, and not expose his head, otherwise he'd see me, and the gig would be up. I knew how correct he was, as I had made a bad shot on a boar on the 1st morning of the hunt, because a boar had seen me move when I was trying to draw while hiding behind a tree. Its amazing how fast a boar can go from laying to running...its faster than my longbow, anyway.

So, I close in.  Finally at 13 yards, I run out of cover. I can't lean too far out, but I need to get my bow limb clear of an overhanging tree limb. Then, I need to lean out even more because I got a stick in front of the hogs vitals that I need to shoot around.  I musta looked like a fat gumby trying to stretch out around all the trees and stuff in order to get into position.  I looked back at Mick and nodded. He gave me the thumbs up, and I began my draw.....

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »
I remember coming to anchor...and thats about it.  I always have trouble remembering details about the shot. I've always had trouble concentrating on important stuff.  I remember ambushing a pig back home one afternoon, and as I'm waiting for the pigs front leg to come foreward, I was thinking about where the closest pro-shop was that would resurface my bowling ball for me. Whatever. I'm not gonna start taking Riddlin before I go hunting to help me concentrate!

Anyway, I came to full draw on this boar. Next thing I remember was the boar blowing up out of his bed, running about 10 yards and turning and looking at/for me as I was loading another arrow onto the string.  The hog caught the movement and had enough, and began trotting away with my red fletched arrow sticking thru his truck about where the back of his lungs would be.  Before I could react, Mick is just Carl Lewis'ing it, barefoot, across the mudflat after this hog!  I slid my arrow back in my quiver and took off at a jog following the pig and Mick.  I say "Jog", because I aint built for speed! There's nothing about me that screams "long distance sprinter!"

I kept Mick and the boar in sight for most the distance, until I lost them in the trees, but then I came across a blood trail. I figured the blood trail would lead me to either Mick or the boar! Hopefully they weren't too far apart.  I finally caught up to Mick and the boar, and the boar was wearing down fast. Mick would distract the boar while I slipped in and could get more arrows into the pig.  My first 2 shots hit low, so I began to figure that this hog was bigger than I first thought and looked closer. Thats my story anyway!

I finally steadied myself and put another arrow into his lungs, then closed even closer and finally when the hog quartered away, I slid another arrow right into his heart. The hog laid down and gave it up.

I leaned my bow against the closest termite mound, doubled over and coughed up more of the brown axle grease out of my lungs, and blew some more out of my nose.  Mick was standing over the boar hollering to me to come over and look at "this bloke". I couldn't really hear him over the sound of me coughing up my insides, but I finally walked over to see what he was raising hell about.  

Then I finally got to lay a good eye on my first Cape York boar.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 01:19:00 AM »

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
Great story and a really nice Boar,congrats  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 01:51:00 AM »
Thank ya Grinch!  And thanks to all you guys who's had kind words so far.  

There's more to come tho.  And just wait till Dan gets on!

I thought I'd take a minute and talk about my gear and equipment and what not while I'm still awake.

I only took one bow down yonder. The longbow is one that I had made this past summer by my good friend Doug Rutter up in the Tulsa area. He goes by RocDoc here on TG.  Between him, Mike Bolin and a few other guys that I met while I was stuck in Tulsa, those are the guys who got me into this trad stuff 6 short years ago.

The bow is 64", 60# at my draw, and hurls a 570gr arrow with the quickness. My shafts are Beman MFX Classics tipped with Ace 160's with a 75gr insert. There's nothing really that special about my setup, other than it works for me, and the same arrows fly perfectly out of 3 other bows, ranging in weights from 48# to 60#. Cuts down on costs of building more arrows.

My hunting clothes consisted pretty much of cheap stuff. $5 camo shirts that I'd find at walmart, and $15 Wrangler shorts that I found on sale towards the end of the summer.  For footwear, I wore a pair of Rocky Outback lightweight boots, with a pair of TexasHuntCo gaiters like the ones Alan used on his water buffalo hunt a few months back. Really good to have!  If I didnt' wear the boots, I wore Chocko sandals, which were easy to slip off and go barefoot with while stalking.

Carried a 100oz Camelbak Ranger, which proved to be worth its weight, cause that sun was hot and the humidity was high.

Me and Dan decided that we both had grossly overpacked for this trip. Truth be told, 2 pairs of shorts and 3 pairs of shirts were all that were really needed. But, I felt the overwelming urge to bring an extra pair of britches and (for some reason) a pair of overalls anyway.

Gonna end it here for the evening. Hope you fellas are enjoying it so far, and continue to, as there's still more to come!

Cam

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 01:57:00 AM »
Some great hooks in that one!  Congrats!  Looking forward to the rest.   :campfire:   :coffee:

Offline Aussie Stickbow Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 02:27:00 AM »
That is one very good boar; congrats!!!    :thumbsup:

Jeff

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 02:42:00 AM »
Great story and a good boar!
   :archer:    :coffee:
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2011, 03:30:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline JoLo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2011, 04:00:00 AM »
Great story, thanks.

:archer:

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2011, 04:00:00 AM »
I'm loving this!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2011, 04:53:00 AM »
Congrats on your boar.....toothy lookin' fellow ain't he?  Can't wait to hear more of this trip.  Thanks for taking us along.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2011, 05:05:00 AM »
What a trip!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »
great boar Cam.

doug77

Offline briarsdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing your adventure. Great boar and I love the pics!
Black Widow PLX Osage
Black Widow PLX Crossgrain Graybark
Red Feather Archery broadheads!

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Wonderful adventure!!  :thumbsup:    :archer:
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
Now that is some serious tusks! Great Job, that is my number #1 dream hunt.. Keep it coming...
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Great Story, Congrats on the great Tusker. Looking forward to more on your adventure to Down Under.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©