3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: last night in central NY  (Read 143 times)

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
last night in central NY
« on: October 21, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
well this year i have been committed to the recurve, so last night me and Mr Bear took a walk back to some state land i live near.

carrying my bear alaskan and POC arrows really gives me a sense of woodsmanship and a connection to the past. something i lacked with my compound. just dont like carrying 4 lbs of carbon and magnesium around.

about 5 pm as i am slipping along an overgrown field edge, i spot a doe about 25 yds away.
 just a little pair of black ear tips poking up over the weeds.

with the wind in my face i decide to put the sneak on her and get about 10 yds closer when she decides to step into the woods.

she circles around to my left but not down wind yet.  as she starts to head away i give her a soft grunt and holly cow, there's 4 does standing with her.  man never saw them until all thier heads popped up.

one of the does see's me move and i guess curiosity got the best of her and she starts walking directly to me.  

I am hiding behind a charley brown christmas tree, trying to hide behing my recurve, the doe take several steps , stops, cranes her neck, stomps her foot, then advances some more.   she finally end up 5 paces from me , directly on the other side of my bush.  

i don't think she ever figured out what i was but after 2 or 3 minutes of head bobbin ,she finally snorted and took off with the other three does. beautiful white rumps bounding off, how cool to see.  

wow what a great experience. its just so satisfing, near spiritual, to have any animal encounter while hunting and even though i didnt get a shot i am sure fred bear is smiling somewhere.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: last night in central NY
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
I recently had a 12yd staring contest with a bull moose.  It really is hard to explain to people who have never been that close to wild animals the feelings that you go through.   :campfire:    Good huntin have fun.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
That must have been quite the experience.

I love those types of encounters.   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline MarkE2006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Messin' with whitetails.  Part of why we get out there.  :archer:
'10 Howard Hill Wesley Special 70" 45@28; '09 Turkey Creek 62" 55@28; '09 Brush Country Wasp II 64" 54@28; '07 Turkey Creek Dbl Carbon 64" 56@28; '64 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 38@28; '62 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 50@28

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Love it!

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
very cool!  You have to love it.  What year Alaskan are you shooting?
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Very cool!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
ceme, i am shooting a 1969 alsakan, lemon yellow.  50# @ 28.  it was my father in laws , didnt even know he had it, but when he passed it was given to me.
 i was a young dumb airman at the time. i didnt know what i had, i replaced the original white bowstring and lost most of the 2117 olive drab gamegetters and razorheads that came with it.  live and learn i guess.
 saw a nice 6 point with two does tonight.
 no shot but felt good to put some tension on the string.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Well said

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©