3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A question for you Knifemakers  (Read 263 times)

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
A question for you Knifemakers
« on: July 11, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
A friend told me that a good quality saw blade was made out of fair quality tool steel and would make a pretty good knife, is that true? I'm sure there are better materials, but I don't want to spend a bunch on my first try and screw it up. Thanks, Bret
Bret M. FullER

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
Re: A question for you Knifemakers
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
Bret-Check out the how-to section.  Many knife build-a-longs out of saw blades.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline pjsnell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
If you have a Grandfather like mine, you might have a few (or a box full) older blades around that you can get for free.  You'll get atleast two blanks out of a circular saw blade.  I like old band saw or hacksaw blades (1.5" wide) best.  
What ever you use, cut a small piece off, heat one end up to cherry red with a torch and dunk it in some oil (I use olive oil - cause that's what is in the cupboard, and it doesn't smell as bad as petroleum based oils. Watch out for the flare up) and let it cool down.  Then see if a file will bite into the hardened edge.  If it does, find another blade to try.  If the file won't cut into the material, then you have decent blade material.

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
I tried making a knife from an old band saw blade that came out of a saw mill. It didn’t turn out very good, I believe because the blade got too hot while grinding, so you may want to be careful of that.

David Boye’s book, “Step-by-Step Knifemaking” has some good information on making knives from saw blades including the process of annealing and heat treating steel if you want to go that far. Also some saw blades are made from high speed steel (L6 I think it’s called) which is more difficult to heat treat then some other types of carbon steel.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©