3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Checkmate bows  (Read 484 times)

Online Formby

• Trad Bowhunter
Checkmate bows
« on: October 22, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Does anyone know about these recurves I have not found alot of information on them

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Checkmate bows
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Very smooth forgiving bows.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
yep - very nice bows
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
I had a Checkmate Falcon a few years ago, very smooth bow. Good looking to boot! Only reason I sold mine was the weight was just to light for me. I have since regretting making that decision. Only bow I have ever sold and wish I had kept it.

Offline klight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
I had a Checkmate Raven. Beautiful bow and shot great. Wish I hadn't sold it. I've tried to buy it back from my buddy that I sold it to several times. They really are nice bows.
60" Thunderstick MOAB  55#'s @ 28"
64" Mohawk Classic     64#'s @ 28"
62" Mohawk Sparrowhawk 55#'s @ 28"

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
I was a dealer for several years--in my opinion, one of the best bows on the market.  The owners had the business for over 40 years, then sold it to the bowyer who had worked for them for over 20 years.  He moved the factory, had some problems with the move but seemed to have worked them out, then...well, I don't know what happened next.  

I was on the phone with him one day, he said I had a shipment coming within a week or so...that was a year or more ago.  I haven't been able to contact him since, and neither have other dealers I know.

I don't know what happened--if he got sick, sold out, or???

It's really a shame--excellent bows and the bowyer really knew his stuff.  My son will inherit my personal bows.

Chad

Offline Thebear_78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 05:28:00 AM »
I've had just about one of each of the chekmate bows.   Hunter, Hunter II, Crusader, crusader T/D, raven, longhorn, and thunderbird.  They are all very good bows for the money.  Performace is right up there with some bows costing 2x times more.    

I have a 62' crusader t/d that I will probably never git rid of and I go thru bows like most people change socks.   It is a solid performer and has proven itself time and again.  I've killed more animals with that bow than any other.  

Most of them I bought thru chad.   I hope they get everything figured out. They were very good bows.

Offline CanadaCanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Does anyone have any updates on Chek-Mate?  The "recurves.com" site doesn't seem to be taking orders.  ArcheryByMail, which is based out of a range here in Winnipeg, Canada, has some in stock, but I don't know if they are getting more.

I have shot the Crusader, and while I'm no expert and don't have much to compare it to, it seems like a really nice bow.

Thanks.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
Chad was the man at recurves.com.  I think he explained it as best he could above.  My chek-mate is a great bow.  Looks like the only way to get one now is in the classifieds.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
I've shot Chek-mate take downs for 20+ years. I've tried a bunch of high end recurves and always went back to Chek-mate. The  best recurve for the money period.
My buddy and I both shoot Hunters and he just ordered a New Hunter III for something a little different.
Mark is still selling and making bows but he now only sells through a very select few dealers.
If your interested in a new Chek-mate PM me and I can send you in the right direction.

Offline Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
I had a Chek Mate Falcon. I regret selling it. I wish I had it back. Would love to get my hands on a Chek Mate again.
Jose =>>>>>---------->
Bear Montana longbow 52#@27"
80' Howatt Hunter 61#@27"
06' Bear Super Kodiak 57#@27"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Glad to hear he's still on the green side of the grass, but very dissapointed with the way he's conducting business.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
It is weird because I think Pete Ward just reviewed one of their longbows. What's up with that?

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
I'm with Chad.  Never did get my Hunter 3, that was supposedly in that last shipment, but Chad graciously returned my deposit.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Recently I was thinking of ordering a bow and Check-Mate was way up on the list for price and quality but without a reputable dealer stateside it's a no-go.  Please forgive me if there is one and I am unaware - but that is another problem - when dealers are cut off without explanation, I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling that opens my wallet.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
To the best of my knowledge all the U.S. dealers (selling them as Chek-Mate bows) were "cut off" the same as I was, along with some Canadian dealers.

Offline CanadaCanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.  That does seem strange.  I suppose there is a great deal of competition and a squeeze between all the custom makers and the few big companies that mass produce these days.  Still, it seems odd, whatever his reasons, that he wouldn't at least communicate the changes to his dealers.

I don't really need to know more, as I have all the bows I need . . . for now.

Thanks again.

Offline Achilles1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
My Chek Mate Crusader longbow.
A stable smooth&quiet Beauty!
"Don't leave home without-it". [/url] [/IMG]
  [/url] [/IMG]

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Dang Alan that's a good looking bow! I like the wood combo and that bow has great lines. I think I'm going to look them up.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 11:19:00 PM »
I've got three, two recurves and a longbow. (Hunter I, Hunter II and Crusader). They are all first class bows. My Black Widow hangs on the wall anymore.
Marc is still making bows but has scaled production back. He's only one guy.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©