3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brace height and its affects on speed  (Read 506 times)

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brace height and its affects on speed
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
I opt for getting the most performance available out of my bow... performance to me means... the most accurate, most forgiving, quietest and the fastest possible with an arrow of sufficient mass for my intended prey.  It isn't about just one factor, but a synergy of all the factors and I don’t want to leave anything on the table because of preconceived notions.
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
AMENNNNNNNNNNNNN Mike!!!!! Thats the right answer.
Why should anyone have to make excuses when there are so many really great bows to be had?
God bless you all, Steve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
didn't say all bows, but *some* bows can be incredibly fast - maybe even by 15/20fps - but at those speeds they may have no stability/consistency, which affects accuracy.  

having such a bow, what would you opt for, speed or stability - or sell it and get a bigfoot?   :D  [/QB][/quote]i do not understand why you would think that a bow shooting a respectful hunting weight arrow of say 500 grains at 160 fps would be more stable than a bow shooting the same weight arrow at 180 FPS.

i think this "stability/consistency" thing you are referring to here is what has me going.

let me ask you something.... If you have a bow that you really like a lot and shoot pretty darn good with at 10 -20 yards,  and someone handed you a bow that shot as smooth or smoother
than yours did, was noticeably faster, and you could shoot a much flatter trajectory clear out to 30 yards with it.... Wouldn't that raise your eyebrow some?

Now if that faster, very smooth shooting bow happened to be an Eagle Wing, you were probably standing next to Steve.

if it was a "Tornado", you were probably standing next to Mike Rash.

If your feathers went up in flames, it was most likely a Sasquatch the guy handed you....    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

i wouldn't sell my bow and buy a Big Foot bow at all. You have to have slower arrows on those high fire danger days.   :biglaugh:

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Interesting test and the thoughts expressed as well, especially for those of us that love to tinker with our bows to get the most from it.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

didn't say all bows, but *some* bows can be incredibly fast - maybe even by 15/20fps - but at those speeds they may have no stability/consistency, which affects accuracy.  

having such a bow, what would you opt for, speed or stability - or sell it and get a bigfoot?     :D    [/b]
... i do not understand why you would think that a bow shooting a respectful hunting weight arrow of say 500 grains at 160 fps would be more stable than a bow shooting the same weight arrow at 180 FPS. ... [/QB]
there are limits to all bows.  experiment to find those limits, if need be.  

during experimentation with some bows, as fast or slow as they are, choosing to speed it up isn't such a good thing as stability, consistency and accuracy suffer.  each bow will have a sweet spot for each giver shooter.  that's about it.  nothing new, always been that way with stick bows of all flavors.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Rob:during experimentation with some bows, as fast or slow as they are, choosing to speed it up isn't such a good thing as stability, consistency and accuracy suffer. each bow will have a sweet spot for each giver shooter. that's about it. nothing new, always been that way with stick bows of all flavors.

I only have one problem with this statement. Its the unspoken but insinuated belief that there has to be a compromise in stability and in consistancy and accuracy in order to have speed. Actually they all work together harmoniously in a well designed bow .

As to Kirks statement glorifying his Bigfoot in his mouth . LOL. I haven't been privledged to shoot one of Mikes bows but Kirks is proudly on its place on my rack. It is a great bow and he has every right to be proud of it. If you or anyone else sincerely believes that you have to compromise stability and accuracy and quietness to have a fast bow then you should shoot one of these bows or talk to some folks that have them. You will be pleasantly surprised.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »
LOL!  Steve... a guy has gotta have a little fun now and then.... i found the idea of flaming arrows hysterical myself...

Actually Rob will have an opportunity to shoot one of my bows soon enough.

Ok Rob... I'll be completely open minded here. like Steve here, i think you can have the best of both worlds if the bow is built right, and the archer does his part....But I'm willing to experiment....

What would be a detailed explanation of the "type of stability" you are referring to? i only know of two types that effect the way a bow performs.  That is "vertical stability"  and "Torsional" which equates to limb twist and controls limb tracking.

I'd like to hear what suggestions for experimentation you would recommend regarding stability. You are no stranger to the trade.

i respect your opinions Rob. Where would you draw the lines on stability?

Note* Steve, please don't even go there on vertical stability on this thread. we've been there bro... lets save that for another day.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 01:54:00 AM »
Butttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt,,

OK I understan, You aren't man enough for Granny Goose yet.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 02:14:00 AM »
this is getting interesting...    :campfire:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
yes of course, you definitely can have the "best of both worlds", i never said that wasn't attainable.

my statement contained a logical caveat, the word "some" - i didn't say "all".  if i said "all", that would be stupid let alone dumb.     :)  

there are lotsa variables in bows, arrows, strings, and most importantly, the shooter.  fit the puzzle pieces as best as one can.  nothing new, always been that way.

HOWEVER, starting off with the advantage of a good bow design/materials *may* up the ante for the shooter, and make him/her more consistently accurate (the "stability/speed" factor).  

then again, some shooters aren't gonna be ready for a well designed bow, no matter how stable/fast it is (form, alignment, shooting flaws).  poor souls.  

so many good bows, so many variables.    :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
5 fps is definitely worth something to me, but frankly I am surprised the difference wasn't more significant.  Thanks for the post!
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Power stroke and RPM's man. Drag racers have known this forever!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
Well  shoot.   :p   .. I was all ready to absorb some enlightenment as to some intricate details of balancing a bows limb stability.... and here you were just talking in general.... Hmmmm....  

i guess i need to spend more time shooting than building for awhile, and regroup.   :archer2:  

Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
5 fps is definitely worth something to me, but frankly I am surprised the difference wasn't more significant.  Thanks for the post!
that small difference says something for the bow.
that, and it's a long bow. if you did that same test to most recurve bows from 6" to 8", you'd see a lot different results.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©