3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: AM stand arrival?????  (Read 397 times)

Offline Conan

• Trad Bowhunter
AM stand arrival?????
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
I believe in the I'd rather be an hour early than a minute late theory, but others think that busting through the woods in the dark spooks game. I know I've spooked deer on the way in, but I've also had deer walk past me during "false light" when if I was walking in at that time I would not have seen. What time do you arrive on your morning stand, and what are your reasons?
I'll keep My Money, Freedom, and  Guns - YOU CAN KEEP THE "CHANGE".

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: AM stand arrival?????
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
Either atleast a half hour before shooting light or in shootable light.  Sometimes I will sleep in and go out a couple hours after 1st light.   Think about those times you have seen bucks up and around in the middle of the day, there is a reason for it.  Also it depends on where I plan on sitting.  Big woods, field edge, etc.   No set rules in hunting.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
If I'm gonna bust deer on the way in, I'd just as soon they not see me.  Bustin em in the daylight seems to spook them much worse than when it occurs in the dark.

My $0.02
Otto

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
I like to start the stalk to my stand about first light and hunt to my stand.  I pretend that there is a big buck feeding right under my stand.  It might take me 30 minutes to an hour to get to my stand but everytime I do this I learn something about woodsmanship and how to stalk more effectively.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
Depends on the stand.  Sometimes I want to get in 30 minutes before shootable light.  Other stands I prefer to start in at first light.  I rarely use a light going to my stand in the morning.  I have one morning stand that I want to be in at least an hour before first light because of how I have to get to it.  Any later and I risk spooking deer that might have already started that direction.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
Depends on where I am hunting. I hunt in north Alabama in a mountainous area and often see deer at or soon after first light. When hunting there, I go in before light. When hunting near home in south/central Alabama, I rarely see deer before 7A.M. and I tend to go in as soon as there is enough light to walk in without using a light. It may also vary depending on a particular stand sight.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
I like to be settled in before first light. To me thats one of the best things about hunting, getting to watch the woods wake up so to speak.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
I arrive in mornng stand around 9:00.  I don't do well with waking up at 0:dark:30.  I like afternoon stands Waaaayyyy better.
ChuckC

Offline jmack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
This will only be the third season that I've ever hunted, and the first with my bow(last year was my first even shooting a bow at all, so I didn't hunt with it). For the past two years, I've spooked nice bucks who were standing directly underneath my stand on opening day. I know my stalk in is good because I could have jumped and touched a deer both times. I think this year I will be in my stand atleast an hour before sunrise.
"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."--Galations 6:9

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
I start stillhunting to my stand at first light(i.e.when it's light enough to clearly see small twigs and branches on the trees around me) Many times I have gotten shots at undisturbed deer on my way to my stand.(and also on the way out)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©