3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: IF YOU POST A PIC WIDER THAN 640, THE ENTIRE THREAD MAY BE DELETED ...  (Read 488 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
... and you will be the reason why.  at the very least, the post with the large pic will be deleted and no effort to contact the poster will be made.  

i'm sorry, but the posting of large images is getting out of hand lately, and we have no way of automatically controlling posted image size.  mods and admin just don't have the time any more to hand hold folks on posting images.    

please learn how to do this, it's not at all difficult.  if i can, i will help you - pm or email me directly, please do not make a post for help with images.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=129;t=000087

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=129;t=000093
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: IF YOU POST A PIC WIDER THAN 640, THE ENTIRE THREAD MAY BE DELETED ...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Yeah....just axe the whole thread....I like that....maybe folks will finally get the message after YEARS of pleading.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
Here ya go Rob....I got an extra......

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
Why not make it manditory and automatic that all posts with big pics not even be accepted. Then you guys won't have to waste your time patroling the site. Just a thought.............
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesV:
Why not make it manditory and automatic that all posts with big pics not even be accepted. Then you guys won't have to waste your time patroling the site. Just a thought.............
our forum software will not allow for either filtering or resizing of images.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
I know it must be very time consuming ad frustrating to deal with large pictures but....

I think it is better to pull the post from the wrong doer than the whole thread... reason being...

If I manage to eventually kill my first deer and post pictures and a story for all the back slapping I hope to receive, I would hate for some hob-noggin to come along and add a "yeah, me too" picture and have my thread removed.

At least if you pull threads with big pics have some discretion, which I am sure you will have more than enough.

This Trad Gang thing is becoming a full time job from the sound of it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
I know it must be very time consuming ad frustrating to deal with large pictures but....

I think it is better to pull the post from the wrong doer than the whole thread... reason being...

If I manage to eventually kill my first deer and post pictures and a story for all the back slapping I hope to receive, I would hate for some hob-noggin to come along and add a "yeah, me too" picture and have my thread removed.

the "thread pulling thing" is two fold - it's at the discretion of the mod/admin and if MY thread gets pulled because some other trad ganger screwed up, i, the topic starter, will be on the offender's case and not a mod or admin.  i can see where if i had a killer thread going that i started, i'd probably put a note in that first post about not posting a large pic and having my thread removed.  members policing members - nothing personal, just keeping the ship on course.

At least if you pull threads with big pics have some discretion, which I am sure you will have more than enough.

This Trad Gang thing is becoming a full time job from the sound of it.

yes, it is for me and a few others, 7 dayze a week, but i'm not complaining, i'm learning to find answers and delegate work back to the membership.  this site is "owned" by the members but directed and run by terry green.

Offline bryan r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Rob, not sure how detailed the software is, but is there any way for the thread starter to view sizes, and delete photos posted by others? Basically moderate their own threads? (Obviously if the starter fails to act in a timely manner, or is the one guilty, then the admin pulls the thread)

It sounds good in theory.     :dunno:

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
I have no knowledge of the tech side of this. Why are lager than 640  a problem in the first place ? i make an effort to resize in photobucket , and sometimes when it transfers it looks too big on tradgang ....then later it is smaller?

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Chad,

I think it has something to do with "storage space"

Rob,

I think the members policing members is a great idea.

Also how cool is that, you "go" to work and can learn how to fine tune an arrow set up.  Talk about perks   :readit:    :bigsmyl:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
Delete the pic AND delete the person that posted it from the site. If your smart enough to get a pic posted you should be smart enough to make it the right size, its really not that tough. When a pic is posted the person can see right away if its to big, if too big they can edit there post and delete it and try to fix it themselves, in stead of just letting it go.

Eric

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
the reason for a max image width of 640 has nothing to do with server storage space or isp bandwidth - trad gang has unlimited amounts of both.  

we ask to limit image sizes for three reasons -
  • it makes for faster image loading as some folks just don't have the greatest net access bandwidth
  • it prevents opening up a horizontal page scroll for folks who have lower screen resolutions
  • for the very most part, a 640 wide image is plenty big enuf to show good images
i'm not even gonna get into image compression - at least 90% of all posted images on all forums everywhere aren't compressed and just waste a lotta space, but mostly they will have much higher download times.  for example, a typical 640x365 image saved without compression will make for about a 367k image filesize - if compressed conservatively at 50%, the image is now 60k in filesize, and the image quality is excellent.

unfortunately, our current forum software does not allow for any automatic posted image resizing or compression.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
Thats why there is a preview post button, so before you post it you can preview all of it and see if the pic is to big and that its trad bowhunting related.

They have a photography forum that explains how to resize them, and its easier that Stu's calculator or trying to figure out the FOC debate.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
I have no problem with any rules on this forum.  But I will admit that it took me a while to figure out the resizing thing.  I followed the auto resizing thread while uploading my pictures and they showed to be the correct size in photobucket.  Then when I added them to a post here, they were larger for some reason.  I now just load them into photobucket a size smaller and that seems to have fixed the problem I was having.  
Thanks Rob and everyone else who makes this sight what it is!  :clapper:

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
 if MY thread gets pulled because some other trad ganger screwed up, i, the topic starter, will be on the offender's case and not a mod or admin.
[/b][/QUOTE]

but how will the OP know why the entire thread was deleted? If I post up a great thread and someone else puts a huge pic on it and the entire thread gets deleted while im at work how do I know why it was pulled? And at that how do I know whos case to be on if the thread is gone?
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Not a good idea in my opinion. However you da bosses and its your site.
I have never liked the idea of punishing someone for someone elses mistakes. I don't really care for the idea of banning someone because they are not computer literate enough to get posting pics right either. I'm just starting to get the hang of it myself.
God bless you all, Steve

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
Rob, Teryy....

Maybe it's time for a break.  If y'all need to get away for a while, I've got some acreage that doesn't have any electronics on it.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by caleb7mm:

Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
 if MY thread gets pulled because some other trad ganger screwed up, i, the topic starter, will be on the offender's case and not a mod or admin.
[/b]
but how will the OP know why the entire thread was deleted? If I post up a great thread and someone else puts a huge pic on it and the entire thread gets deleted while im at work how do I know why it was pulled? And at that how do I know whos case to be on if the thread is gone? [/b][/QUOTE]

matthew 7:7 & luke 11:9 - "seek and ye shall find"

we'll help you ...

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
how big is that picture of the ax???
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Rob,

This question is out of pure ignorance.

Is there a software out there that can be set on autopilot and police this issue for our site?  If so, what is the price tag for something like this? It might be time for a software upgrade fund drive.

At the time of this post I count nine members that are not current on donating $20 to the site. The way I understand it, this contribution money goes to upgrades and maintenance to the site. Am I right about that, Rob?

Twenty bucks is a bargain for the amount of fun I get from this site. I can’t be the only one who gets way more than twenty dollars worth of fun from this site.

Here is how you can be a part of making Trad Gang better.    http://tradgang.com/sponsors/cm.html  

Originally posted by Hill Hunter:
how big is that picture of the ax???
The ax is 594 pixels wide. Well under the 640 requirement.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©