3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Shelf Material?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Anvil

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Shelf Material?
« on: July 11, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
What have you found to be the best arrow shelf material? Considering quietness and durability in that order. I could be mistaken but it also seems that your shelf material could add a degree of forgiveness, any thoughts on that would be appreciated also.
Thanks,
Curt
Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.      Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127:3-4

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Shelf Material?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
I really like using velcro...the soft side...easy, cheap, and available everywhere.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
Personally, I like the rug rests and calf hair plates from 3rivers.  I tried velcro, but got a lot of wear on my bottom feather.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
I am with Eagle, calf hair is good, but seal skin is FINE !!! A fellow tradganger and dear friend, JC got me hooked early on with the sealskin. 3 Rivers and others ahve it on here as sponsors.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
Sorry to hijack this post....

NoCams (JC or anyone else):

Do you use it as just a rest or as a strike plate too?  If both, do you make two seperate pieces (open space at bottom) or fold and fit?

Is the bow you are using cut short, to, or past center?

I am currently using it on a cut to center long bow in one piece as a rest and strike plate.  Initially I was getting heavy wear on the strike plate but I am confident it was due to too stiff of a spined arrow.  I also switched to cock in and got better results.

Thoughts or comments please.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
HI BobW,
I use it for both. I normally do a two piece and leave a small tunnel in between like BW does on their bows. I do this on both longbows not cut to center as well as my center cut recurves. I shoot cock out and the only wear I get is slight wear on the very outside edge of the rest which tells me that my arrows are spined properly and not rubbing the strike plate. Bareshafting proves this also.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
Careful Jimmy, admitting yer a friend of mine in public might get you thrown out of a few places  :goldtooth:  

I do like sealskin on my shelf because it wears literally like iron. I wish they had pieces as thin as the calfskin I use on my strike plates and I'd use it there too.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline nevada cody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
i to like the seal skin but i can not make it stick to my bow i used barge cement but when it gets hot outside it falls off or moves dont know what glue to use dont want to damage my bw so i have gone back to the stick on calf hair rests
cheers cody
ps sorry for bad spelling i live in australia but originaly from sweden

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
I just started using a clear piece of polycarbonate mylar cut to size of choice. This material is used in the interior of cars and trucks to keep plastic parts from squeeking and has a very slippery surface and has an extremely high ware resistance.  Plus the material is very thin and works great for bows cut close to center and who's shelf is nuckle high.
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
Hey Curt,
   you asked what the best material is for shelves on bows. Since I haven't used all of them I can't comment on what is the best, but I personally use adhesive backed velcro for my bows. Cheap, easy, replaceable and, in my opinion, good looking, Yet, at the same time, it is not the most durable material out there.

You do make an interesting point about forgiveness. I would think a consistent, durable(doesn't wear down effecting nock point), reasonably dense yet not too hard material would be the ticket. I suppose too soft and wear would change nocking point, too hard and bad releases would not be compensated for. Thoughts?
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline eddiejclayton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
Another vote here for seal skin.

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
I"m useing a thin piece of leather just folded for the striker and shelf.
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline Anvil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys! Matt, that is exectly what I was thinking regarding the forgivness of the material.
For those of you that use seal skin, if using just for the shelf, do you put it on so the hair points towards the back of the bow or so it points left/right?
Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.      Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127:3-4

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
I like the hair to lay pointing in the direction the arrow will travel. Not sure why, I just always thought it would be "smoother" on release this way. I don't think it would make a penny's difference any way you put it on.

Add a drop of mineral oil on your finger and rub it into the hair now and then to keep it water resistant.

Also, I barge mine to gorilla tape, then cut to size/shape and stick spares on a piece of plastic milk jug to keep in my pack, just in case. It'll stay put until you need it to come off.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
I use the velcro as well. I also think it looks good.:-) It has lasted pretty good so far and if it wears out it can be replaced for pennies. I use thin moleskin as a strike plate.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
I am using hair on my plate.I do think it would make a difference if you ran it "backwards". I have a space between the plate and shelf. I have the soft velcro on the shelf and I am seeing a residue left. I guess it is from the feather. I will try something different for the shelf next time.
JC I like the idea of the mineral oil..

Hey Archer, You are getting a little to high tech when I cant even pronounce the words your using   :D
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
I use industrial velcro on all my bows. It is tough and wears better than anything I have tried and I have tried them all. Shawn
Shawn

Offline eddiejclayton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
I put my seal skin on in the direction of arrow flight, that is what is recommended on the package.

I'll have to give velcro a try, I've heard good things about it, and it's cheap!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Like Huntnut, I use a thin piece of deerskin (one piece for the shelf and plate. I can't seem to get consistent arrow flight with the hair type rests. Haven't tried velcro yet. I might try velcro or hair on the rest and leather on the shelf and see how that works.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
Seal Skin for me, works great I use it on the shelf and rest. I don't cut it just use one solid piece.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©