3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3rivers  (Read 662 times)

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
3rivers
« on: October 23, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Am I the only one out there who is disappointed with 3rivers decision to start carrying sights. I have done business with 3rivers for a while and will continue to. My only problem is now we'll probably see some guy at a bow shoot who says he shoots traditional but has sights on his bow.
James Kerr

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3rivers
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
They haven't featured them in the last two mailed catalogs.

I put a snarky question on their website in the sights section and they never did acknowledge it.  Oh well.

I remember a LOT of folks hunted with recurves and one, two or three pins in the 70's.  I guess that's old enough to be a tradition (two generations past now).

Guys who shoot 500 yard accurate muzzleloaders with plastic saboted conical bullets, synthetic stocks & powder, enclosed 209 shotgun primers and 10X scopes think they are regular Dan'l Boones.  It's a primative weapon, after all.

You can only hold what you feel as traditional up in the mirror and please yourself.     :thumbsup:     I guess we'd all be shooting yew or lemonwood English longbows or self-wood American flatbows with wood arrows if we were true to tradition.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
I can see where they are coming from.

In a down economy you have to make certain business changes in order to survive.

Problems generally only arise when a company grows too much, too fast, and begins to neglect their customers.

In my experience, 3 Rivers has always been extremely attentive to the customers.

I doubt that the addition of some 'modern' items will change that business model of excellent customer service.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
I am not sure your post started of with bow hunting as the subject.  

I don't have a problem with sites. Some hunters need them that don't use them.  There is nothing about sites that I find to be non-trad.  A lot of those old bows have filled holes for a reason. Some people gap shoot of the arrow point so that is kind of like single pin site.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Thebear_78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
I think the sights that they are carrying are geared more for the dalaa style bows not compounds.   If a person feels that they are more accurate with sights I say go for it.  I personally would feel sights to be a hinderance but don't fault the guy who wants or needs them to be accurate.   In the end of the day if that is what allows a person to hunt and be proficient who are we to say they shouldn't use sights.    I think this is another case of "traditional" snobbery.      

I know a guy who shoots a 3pc takedown recurve with a single sight pin.  He tried for years without and missed several animals and even wounded a couple.  He finally came to the realization that he needed the sight for a reference.   He shoots at all ranges with that same single pin but it has made him a much better hunter.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
1937-First use of bow-sights in archery competition.
from
History Of Archery By Tom Brissee
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
I don't have a problem with it..thought about trying some of those myself.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Thebear_78:
I think the sights that they are carrying are geared more for the dalaa style bows not compounds.   If a person feels that they are more accurate with sights I say go for it.  I personally would feel sights to be a hinderance but don't fault the guy who wants or needs them to be accurate.   In the end of the day if that is what allows a person to hunt and be proficient who are we to say they shouldn't use sights.    I think this is another case of "traditional" snobbery.
agree 100%
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
I rather see a person using sights and hitting what he's aiming at, than another shooting a bare bow and not being able to hit the side of a bus.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 12:52:00 AM »
I have been using sights on and off for years on my curves ... my first recurve had sights ... 30 years ago .....

The same complaint could be used for fibreglass bows , carbon arrows , treestands etc

"Traditional " archery and bowhunting IMHO is a state of mind , not an equipment choice .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline LeeBishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 02:02:00 AM »
I have a Ben Pearson bow from the 1950s with sights on it.  Well, it's from a subsidiary company of theirs, but the sight was very crude.

Back in the mid 1900s the bow of the day WAS a traditional bow. And with that they had sights as well.

It's a personal choice.

I do like the instinctive shooting without sights, but some may like the convenience and reassurance of a pin. It's up to them.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 05:48:00 AM »
Sites where part of archery before compounds and way before the use of computors to define traditional. There are several threads right now on diffent trad sites listing misses and treating them in a light hearted, joking manor. Maybe more would be served to look into the use of sites on there bows

Offline Thebear_78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
i doubt there would be as many "forgot to pick a spot" threads.

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
Well call me non traditional.
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
We were having this discussion in 1960, good to see y’all carrying on the TRADITION…  :D
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire...

some guys are gonna have their own take   :campfire:
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline scout38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Dude, just get out and hunt! Who cares whether people use sights on their bows or not. People have different reasons for using things and it shouldn't bother you......
Make most of what you have, you'll be surprise of what you get!

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
I don't use sights, but if I had to I would, and I
think all of these answers were spot on.   :knothead:
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
I have seen pictures of Fred Bear Holding a bow with a one pin Sight. 3 rivers should be commended for providing an outlet for hard to find traditional gear. I cant even buy a string for my recurve where I live

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
i see no big deal about using simple sights on trad bows, has been happening for many decades if not centuries or millenniums.  heck, just putting a mark on the limb belly, or taping on a match stick is a sight.  we used to make "bow sights" from a narrow length of cork board double stick taped to the top limb belly, with a hat pin stuck in as the sighting device/reference.  

it's the same as with release aids: non-mechanical ones have been in use for millenniums.  

to each their own.  i'd draw the line with sight scopes and mechanical trigger releases, though.   :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©